MZ-RH1 Display Brightness

Rate this topic

phish

I recently got 2nd hand Black MZ-RH1 (North America market model) and found

its EL display too dark to read. I have Silver MZ-RH1 (Japanese domestic model),

it doesn't have any brightness problem.

The ex-owner said it was too dim when he bought.

Is there a way to control the brightness of EL display?

Or I have to stop by SONY service to replace the EL unit?

From the picture, top one is Black MZ-RH1 (USA model) and the bottom is

Silver MZ-RH1 (Japanese model).

post-45086-0-81939300-1299443340_thumb.j

post-45086-0-26522200-1299443364_thumb.j

I'm not 100% sure I believe this. The LCD displays on both NH900 and RH910 have a habit of getting dim too. In that case it's a simple matter of following the adjustment of the main power circuits as laid down in the first page of "Electrical Adjustments" in the Service Manual.

It occurs to me (I cannot get into Service Mode on my RH1, and in any event the display is not dimmed) that perhaps following the adjustment for the RH1 will actually fix this problem.

I'm not 100% sure I believe this. The LCD displays on both NH900 and RH910 have a habit of getting dim too. In that case it's a simple matter of following the adjustment of the main power circuits as laid down in the first page of "Electrical Adjustments" in the Service Manual.

It occurs to me (I cannot get into Service Mode on my RH1, and in any event the display is not dimmed) that perhaps following the adjustment for the RH1 will actually fix this problem.

When I try to fix it in Service Mode, don't I need the tech gears suggested by service manual?

When I try to fix it in Service Mode, don't I need the tech gears suggested by service manual?

Sure but you don't need (or want) to do ALL the adjustments. In particular, you should NOT do the 911 Reset NVRam under any circumstances.

To get the voltage adjustment right you may be able to get away with one regulated power supply and a digital voltmeter. This assumes you know what you are doing and don't mind losing the whole unit if you mess up.

• 3 years later...

Jim Hoggarth's your best bet.... but he's been under the weather lately and you may have to wait a very long time. I could attempt it, but it's rather a pain to send to the other side of the world.

Or you can learn. But you'll need some gear, and some knowledge about how to make test disks. Sorry, only bad things can happen if you start messing with it in its present state at random. There is, I believe NO quick fix to undo what you just did.

Hi

Forget about Parts ... Sorry.

I already changed some oled for the RH1.

These can be changed or disassembled at each side.But that is not easy.

I got some spare Displays but i think most of them were half working or just dark.

GettIng parts means buying a 2nd RH1 :-/

So considering the Oled there is no fix rather than usIng a spare one and that is hard to get.

As he says, these parts are essentially unavailable. However, it's not impossible that the various reported OLED failures (dimness, essentially) are the result of overall power adjustments being needed.

I took a peek in the service manual and there's nothing specific about adjustments for the OLED board, just something about replacing the whole board. But with a number of other models (ie NOT the MZ-RH1) whose displays could not be read, I found that problem to go away on the first or second power adjustment on the list - ie the entire machine is running on low voltage.

Putting a 100% dark RH1 Display Board to a working RH1 didn't light it up.It was just äs dark as before.I think it just died cause its age and of much usage.also half dimmed ones acted just like in their original Units.

So why should this be a power Problem?

It simply points out to a dying Oled.

Most dim or dark displays i've ever seen came from really used Units.

This might be the Point...

I did yea.I also took the Oled Board from a half dinmed right side and put another proofed working Board to both Oleds.

I hoped the small Board itself was defect but it turned out it wasn't.

Sad but true...

I think i got 8 or 9 RH1 in total and 1 really looks like brand new but its Oled is 100% dark.

Another One with the most usage is 50% dim at the right side.

Maybe i should sell some before they wear out :-/

but i can't :-D I just love em too much

• 2 weeks later...

Is the OLED display necessary? Are there things displayed on it that aren't displayed on the remote at the same time? I've never checked.

On my RH1, I always use the remote to start/stop tracks, FF, rewind, etc. to save wear and tear on the control on the RH1, and I turn the OLED screen off to save it. I want this little guy to last. . .

Is the OLED display necessary? Are there things displayed on it that aren't displayed on the remote at the same time? I've never checked.

On my RH1, I always use the remote to start/stop tracks, FF, rewind, etc. to save wear and tear on the control on the RH1, and I turn the OLED screen off to save it. I want this little guy to last. . .

Oh  how do u turn off the screen? I have one of these not used much  and dontt really need to see the screen, might as well protect my invenstment

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I know this is an old topic, but it's just driving me mad that my OLED on the RH1 is fading to black. I didn't use it anywhere as much as I'm sure some people have used theirs and it's still going dark. Sadly I'm thinking it's the age that's killing the OLED. Once it goes dark, I'm thinking that maybe a newer solid state recorder will be in order instead of buying a new RH1 since the display will be dark after 7 years or a less. 

FWIW, I sent my unit to Sony last August and they sent it back saying they couldn't fix it. 

I know this is an old topic, but it's just driving me mad that my OLED on the RH1 is fading to black. I didn't use it anywhere as much as I'm sure some people have used theirs and it's still going dark. Sadly I'm thinking it's the age that's killing the OLED. Once it goes dark, I'm thinking that maybe a newer solid state recorder will be in order instead of buying a new RH1 since the display will be dark after 7 years or a less. 

FWIW, I sent my unit to Sony last August and they sent it back saying they couldn't fix it. 

dont u have the remote? can it substitute for the display on the main unit?

• 2 weeks later...