MZ-RH910 Error message

Rate this topic

Newcastle United

Hi all you knowlegeable and helpful folk,

I was fast forwarding on a 1gB Hi-LP disc when suddenly it went into track divide mode all of its own.I pressed yes, then was greeted with the message "cannot play or record".

Since then it keeps saying the above, plus "push enter to create an audio file-warning all tracks will be lost continue/cancel" . I have always pressed cancel for fear of losing any more data.

I have tried the said disc in a RH-1 and all that says is cannot play audio.

Please, any help or explanations>?

Thanks

Your unit is out of alignment and/or the overwrite head is busted.

If you're in the UK perhaps Jim Hoggarth (here) who is an established repairman can help.

You have 99.99% for certain lost the contents of that disk.

If you can still play other disks, that is a plus. (it may be that you can play some types of disks but not others - there are three types I am thinking of, 80m/Std 80m/HiMD and 1GB).

If you can successfully record on any of the above disk types above, then the problem is not the overwrite head. However it may be that you can (now) only record on some of the disk types. In this case you almost certainly need a laser adjustment.

Your unit is out of alignment and/or the overwrite head is busted.

If you're in the UK perhaps Jim Hoggarth (here) who is an established repairman can help.

You have 99.99% for certain lost the contents of that disk.

If you can still play other disks, that is a plus. (it may be that you can play some types of disks but not others - there are three types I am thinking of, 80m/Std 80m/HiMD and 1GB).

If you can successfully record on any of the above disk types above, then the problem is not the overwrite head. However it may be that you can (now) only record on some of the disk types. In this case you almost certainly need a laser adjustment.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I dont think it is any of the above as I can read and write any type of MD before and after this problem occured.

I can read the bad disc in internet explorer, and attatch a screenshot of the files on the disc.(you will need to change the view to 150% to see them in word).

I even managed to make a new disc copying these files over with windows to a brand new one, and yes, still says "cannot record or play". Can any of the files be edited so its readable by md units again?corrupt himd disc.doc

Rinse and repeat. None of that changes what I said.

You cannot copy the files. Period.

It's possible that QHiMDTransfer will rescue them but it, like SonicStage, is designed to get them from a valid disc. You now have an invalid disc.

If they are crucial, you can send to Sony Labs and they charge (last time I heard) about $50-100.

The fact of this happening may be an isolated incident, or it may be (more likely) the sign that your adjustments have been on the edge for a while and now it's starting to go over that edge. Just exactly what happened to mine. Took 9 months of struggle before I learned how to adjust it. The other problem is that if you soldier on with it, there's a good chance something will blow. A fellow recently sent me not ONE but TWO units that had (presumably) worked in the recent past. Both blown and beyond repair (I don't have the parts or skill to actually replace the head).

Question - when you see "SYSTEM FILE WRITING" how long does it take before a successful conclusion?

Rinse and repeat. None of that changes what I said.

You cannot copy the files. Period.

It's possible that QHiMDTransfer will rescue them but it, like SonicStage, is designed to get them from a valid disc. You now have an invalid disc.

If they are crucial, you can send to Sony Labs and they charge (last time I heard) about $50-100.

The fact of this happening may be an isolated incident, or it may be (more likely) the sign that your adjustments have been on the edge for a while and now it's starting to go over that edge. Just exactly what happened to mine. Took 9 months of struggle before I learned how to adjust it. The other problem is that if you soldier on with it, there's a good chance something will blow. A fellow recently sent me not ONE but TWO units that had (presumably) worked in the recent past. Both blown and beyond repair (I don't have the parts or skill to actually replace the head).

Question - when you see "SYSTEM FILE WRITING" how long does it take before a successful conclusion?

Ok, I get it, so its bad news all round.

In answer to your question it takes about 20 sec to do the write, but I think I am noticing that time creeping up.

So, in essence, Hi-MD was a failed experiment and we should all go back to using standard MDs, especially as no new RH-910s are made and I personally dont like the RH-1.

Thanks for your help though, much appreciated

Either I or Jim (he's in Yorkshire) might be willing to look at this on a trial basis. Once the head is blown (by too much heating sitting writing forever) there's nothing to be done. But I certainly saved my unit.

Time should be 10 seconds for a working unit.

Either I or Jim (he's in Yorkshire) might be willing to look at this on a trial basis. Once the head is blown (by too much heating sitting writing forever) there's nothing to be done. But I certainly saved my unit.

Time should be 10 seconds for a working unit.

yeah - mine just did the same thing. Will blank and format a standard MD, will not read or format my Hi-MD disk. on attempting to record, will spin while displaying "system file writing" until I unplug it. If it is hosed, are the parts even available to repair and align the laser? Or am I better off using it as an Hi-MD paperweight?

yup, a "deadhead" as they say

One can order the whole assembly direct from sony :

https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/productSearch.do?sessionId=d2gkCUVtQ_gWgfYo9DUnDyH

X-2055-677-1 OP SERVICE ASSY (ABX-UJ)

(including HR601(OVER WRITE HEAD))

Evidently though it isn't as simple as buying the part and inserting it, is it? :)