Minidisc decks and CD-Text?

Rate this topic

TEKWRX

I just picked up a JB940 with the hopes that I could make my Type-R SP recordings more automated with regards to titling. I've been using a N510 and titling with Sonic Stage is a pain. I thought the deck would be the answer, but it's not working.

All my CD's are CD-Text (CDR), my Sony CD Changer is CD-Text compatible (CDP-CX220), the Text shows on the CD player display. I've got the CD player hooked up to the deck via optical and the Control A1 port. None of the titles are transferring?

My only concern is the Control A1 cable, I couldn't find a mono cable, so I'm using a stereo one. The CD-Sync feature is working because when I take the deck out of REC-Pause, the CD player starts playing like it should.

Does anybody have any tips to make the text transfer to the MD?

You can buy a Sony MXD series cd-md deck and that will transfer the titles over.

Only other alternative other than sonicstage is M-Crew with PC link unit. It can do bulk transfer of titles from a notepad spreadsheet to the MD directly.

Both options require you to buy more equipment I'm afraid.

You can buy a Sony MXD series cd-md deck and that will transfer the titles over.

Only other alternative other than sonicstage is M-Crew with PC link unit. It can do bulk transfer of titles from a notepad spreadsheet to the MD directly.

Both options require you to buy more equipment I'm afraid.

Well, the manual for the JB940 states it does work. From page 22:

"During CD Synchro-recording, the deck copies CD text information (CD text and disc memos) as it is to the MD (Disc memo copy function)

The Disc Memo Copy Function operate when you make a CD Synchro-recording from a Sony CD player connected with a control A1II cable (not supplied) to the MD deck."

I also found the correct cable at a different Radio Shack, so I'm not sure what the problem is?

I don't get any error such as "Text Protected" or anything.

You might try a different cable, make sure it's a 2 ring mono cable and that should do it. Not trying to be glib, but are you sure there is CD-TEXT on the CD's. I've run across very few that have it and I have @ 3,000 CD's.

Keep us posted and we'll try to get it to work! I'd love to have a changer to record from if only more CD's had text on them!

You might try a different cable, make sure it's a 2 ring mono cable and that should do it. Not trying to be glib, but are you sure there is CD-TEXT on the CD's. I've run across very few that have it and I have @ 3,000 CD's.

Keep us posted and we'll try to get it to work! I'd love to have a changer to record from if only more CD's had text on them!

Yeah, all my CDs are cd-r with cd text. The text displays just fine on the changers display. I even tried with a retail cd with cd text to rule out a cd-r incompatibility, but same issue. The cable I got is a 1 ring mono cable, but I've also tried with a 2 ring stereo cable. This is really frustrating. Text copy was the main reason for buying the deck. I would have gotten a combo deck, but the type-R models are out of my price range. I only paid $52 for the JB940

I dunno if this is any help, but the JB940 was the first "straight" deck to support PC-Link protocol.

So MCrew should work. You will need a PCLK-MN10, though.

I agree, CD-Text should work, based on the specifications.

Question: are you trying to do this with a keyboard plugged in? There's some very peculiar circuitry that enables that keybrd port as both PCLink and Kbd.... I'm wondering if with the keyboard there, the SLink stuff simply gets turned right off.

I've run into problems while burning CD-TEXT to CD-R and have found that, for me, only Nero works on the Sony equipment. Sure Sonic Stage and MediaMonkey burn it to the disc, and it can be read from the disc but when it come to copying the text... I haven't figured out why so I just use Nero and it works every time (MXD-D400).

I've run into problems while burning CD-TEXT to CD-R and have found that, for me, only Nero works on the Sony equipment. Sure Sonic Stage and MediaMonkey burn it to the disc, and it can be read from the disc but when it come to copying the text... I haven't figured out why so I just use Nero and it works every time (MXD-D400).

Just tried a making a disc with Nero. Still won't work. I just don't get it.

Also, I do not have a keyboard hooked up.

I'm gonna look in some pawn shops for a different Sony CD player and see if maybe my changer isn't passing the text info for some reason.

Just tried a making a disc with Nero. Still won't work. I just don't get it.

Also, I do not have a keyboard hooked up.

I'm gonna look in some pawn shops for a different Sony CD player and see if maybe my changer isn't passing the text info for some reason.

I just looked at the back of my CD changer again, and it looks like it only supports control A1, not A1II. That's might be why its not working. Now to find a control A1II CD player...

I had a lot of trouble until I figured out why CD Text was not being burned properly. Seems there's no standard. It's just possible some of this is due to your Code Page (ie whether data is being transmitted as ASCII or something else). I definitely recall failures with CD-Text even not using Ctrl-A1

You could do worse than try to make a CD-Text disk with SonicStage. Make sure you click the button at the bottom right to enter the media info. You only get one chance and otherwise it puts in a (meaningless) jumble of useless numbers.

If you read the notes on Ctrl A1-II in the JB940 manual, their answer is that all Ctrl A1 devices should work just fine, ie backwards compatible. They are at pains to point out the new features of A1-II won't work with the A1 devices (obvious!?).

When you say making a disc with nero won't work, what do you mean?

And one more thing: someone referred recently to a situation where a message occurred indicating the CD-Text was not copyable. But it turns out it's in the buffer in the MD deck regardless, all you have to do is edit it a little :)

I had a lot of trouble until I figured out why CD Text was not being burned properly. Seems there's no standard. It's just possible some of this is due to your Code Page (ie whether data is being transmitted as ASCII or something else). I definitely recall failures with CD-Text even not using Ctrl-A1

You could do worse than try to make a CD-Text disk with SonicStage. Make sure you click the button at the bottom right to enter the media info. You only get one chance and otherwise it puts in a (meaningless) jumble of useless numbers.

If you read the notes on Ctrl A1-II in the JB940 manual, their answer is that all Ctrl A1 devices should work just fine, ie backwards compatible. They are at pains to point out the new features of A1-II won't work with the A1 devices (obvious!?).

When you say making a disc with nero won't work, what do you mean?

And one more thing: someone referred recently to a situation where a message occurred indicating the CD-Text was not copyable. But it turns out it's in the buffer in the MD deck regardless, all you have to do is edit it a little :)

I know A1II is backwards compatible, but since the CD Changer is only A1, maybe the passing of CD Text is a function of A1II.

The CD I made with Nero shows the text on the changer display, but still won't pass it to the MD deck.

I'll try a disc made with Sonic Stage right now...

Just to clarify: are the MD's actually recording sound? I'm not sure if the text is transfered individually for each track or as a batch at the end of recording. Does it put the track marks in the right places? If there's no track marks it makes sense there's no cd text. Have you tried ejecting the discs after recording, then checking?

Just to clarify: are the MD's actually recording sound? I'm not sure if the text is transfered individually for each track or as a batch at the end of recording. Does it put the track marks in the right places? If there's no track marks it makes sense there's no cd text. Have you tried ejecting the discs after recording, then checking?

Yeah, the recordings and track marks are fine, just no text.

I found a newer model changer today, CDP-M333ES. This unit does support control A1II. Still getting no text transfer. I'm really fed up now.

There is ONE last thing I can try. On the remote for the JB940, there are some buttons labeled CD Syncro Standby, CD Syncro Start, and CD Syncro Stop. The manual says I can use these buttons to start a CD Syncro recording with a Sony CD player. Maybe this is the function that triggers the text exchange? I don't know. I can't try it because I don't have the RM-D49M remote that came with the 940. I'm using a Logitech Harmony One universal remote, but of course it has all the other fuctions for the 940 EXCEPT the 3 CD Syncro buttons.

It's a longshot, but does anybody have a RM-D49M remote that the could let me borrow so I can program those 3 functions into my Harmony? I'll of course pay shipping.... :give_heart:

Yeah, the recordings and track marks are fine, just no text.

I found a newer model changer today, CDP-M333ES. This unit does support control A1II. Still getting no text transfer. I'm really fed up now.

There is ONE last thing I can try. On the remote for the JB940, there are some buttons labeled CD Syncro Standby, CD Syncro Start, and CD Syncro Stop. The manual says I can use these buttons to start a CD Syncro recording with a Sony CD player. Maybe this is the function that triggers the text exchange? I don't know. I can't try it because I don't have the RM-D49M remote that came with the 940. I'm using a Logitech Harmony One universal remote, but of course it has all the other fuctions for the 940 EXCEPT the 3 CD Syncro buttons.

It's a longshot, but does anybody have a RM-D49M remote that the could let me borrow so I can program those 3 functions into my Harmony? I'll of course pay shipping.... :give_heart:

I may have a couple of them, but I'm at work now and won't know until much later tonight. If no one else volunteers before then, I will check and get back to you. I see that they are somewhat pricy. IIRC, the r-d49m is the larger-style remote? Are you in the US?

I may have a couple of them, but I'm at work now and won't know until much later tonight. If no one else volunteers before then, I will check and get back to you. I see that they are somewhat pricy. IIRC, the r-d49m is the larger-style remote? Are you in the US?

That would be awesome if you have something! The D49M is one of the larger ones. I would think any of the bigger ones with the 3 CD Syncro Buttons should work.

remote-controls-control-original-121023-123793_zoom.jpg

Just looking at the Service Manual. A strange arrangement I have never seen before (probably because it's common and i'm not, joke) with a double cutoff for the inserted prong. Are you sure the one you are using is LONG enough? I know sometimes Sony uses an extra long plug. Maybe this is an extra long socket.....

Also try contact cleaner

Stephen

That would be awesome if you have something! The D49M is one of the larger ones. I would think any of the bigger ones with the 3 CD Syncro Buttons should work.

remote-controls-control-original-121023-123793_zoom.jpg

I have an RM-D27M with those functions, and they appear to work on my JB940.

PM me when you get a chance.

yes you do need the RM-D49M remote to trigger cd text interchange. I made up my own mono cable ( not hard if u can use a soldering iron and have a Maplins nearby )

You press the CD-SYNC STANDBY button first - this starts up both cd player into pause mode and also the MD into pause record mode. Then you press the CD-SYNC START. I cant say anything about different standards and problems, but I would have thought if the Sony CD player will display the text, then it is transferable? I still use my old Sony CDP XB930-E

May not try get a remote from Ebay? RM-D49M is the one u need. Shouldnt be that expensive.

Sounds like the "standby" button is the clue. I am looking at two remotes (D47M, narrow and D15M, wide) and they both have it. Consequently I suspect that that getting the EXACT remote to match isn't a problem, they likely all work the same way.

I just tried my RM-D10E - came with my Sony JB980 MD deck - that one also has the Synchro buttons and also works. So u are probably correct, if it has the Synchro buttons it will work. (As you know the JB980 dont have the A1 control system!)

I think most Sony MD deck remotes will work to some extent on most Sony decks. As I noted earlier, an older remote worked fine with the JB940. Last night, a remote (from either the MXD-D40 or MXD-D400) worked very well with a JA20ES, including changing the play mode. However, not all functions on all remotes work on all decks. Don't mean to sound like a Venn Diagram, but there you have it ;-)

Success!!! :yahoo: Thanks to bluecrab, the RM-D27M he sent me allows the transfer of the text. Why on earth Sony wouldn't allow the transfer of text when starting a CD sync record from the deck itself makes no sense. They even tell you how to do it in the manual. Anyway, I'm happy now

• 2 weeks later...