Bunch of old mono, LP2, LP4 with track divisions and names, want to move to PC

Rate this topic

wlexxx

i have a bunch [like hundreds] of old MDs with mono, SP, LP2, LP4 recordings,

with track divisions and names, i want to move to PC

i need the original MD track divisions and names to remain intact

what is best way to do this?

i would not mind buying something like an Hi-MD MZ-RH1

less preferable is a pro deck with optical outputs, but Hi-MD MZ-RH1 would be preferable since it is also usable for future live recording etc

but i need to know it would do this, for certain

[[though flash recorders severely make this less appealing as years go on and prices drop...]]

i can NOT end up with a single long file for each disc, that i have to go re-edit, divide, and name the tracks all over again

thx,

wle

I think you mentioned that track divisions are very important to you.

If that is the case, you MUST remember to upload in 'Linear PCM'. Do NOT upload in Atrac3+plus 256kps. Otherwise gaps will occur in your tracks and your divisions will be mixed up with bits of one track contained in others and vice versa.

I think you mentioned that track divisions are very important to you.

If that is the case, you MUST remember to upload in 'Linear PCM'. Do NOT upload in Atrac3+plus 256kps. Otherwise gaps will occur in your tracks and your divisions will be mixed up with bits of one track contained in others and vice versa.

ok thanks

what form are the tracks and names in, on the pc, after uploading?

i mean sure, .wfm extension or whatever

but do they end up separate files, in a directory, file names from whatever i originally named the track?

wle

Hopefully other forum members will help you out with specifics. I don't go through Sonicstage myself, I record directly from a digital out on my MD deck to a Tascam CD professional recorder that can take a pure digital in signal via a special menu feature. I am very particular about sound quality, and to my mind any transfer from SP audio through Sonicstage I am still not 100% convinced that it is the full signal. (From memory other people here have observed their frequency analysis to support the result that the full audio signal is transferred over to the PCM file so I think you're alright).

I believe the track titles will have 'Track 01', 'Track 02', etc at the beginning of each track name when they are saved to your folder in Sonicstage. Please check with other people though to confirm. If that's a problem it shouldn't be too hard to change them by hand afterwards if you care enough about the tracks? Be thankful you get this service from Sony, they have a notorious history of stopping two-way transfers of audio files! This RH1 unit was the last swan song, and they nodded their head to their consumers by essentially doing away with nearly all of the previous limitations.

Myself I don't use the RH1 or Sonicstage even for titling. Instead I use a unique feature in MCrew, a software which has its own hardware unit to go with it (PCLK-MN10). This allows me full control over track titles using Microsoft Excel and Notepad on the PC in both directions.

• 3 weeks later...

Myself I don't use the RH1 or Sonicstage even for titling. Instead I use a unique feature in MCrew, a software which has its own hardware unit to go with it (PCLK-MN10). This allows me full control over track titles using Microsoft Excel and Notepad on the PC in both directions.

Good point, though of course M-Crew won't handle the metadata of artist etc that Sonic Stage does with HiMD disks, and all the newer formats like MP3 etc.

What I DID recently learn is just how good M-Crew is at accepting pasted information from the clipboard. Nowhere in the manual does it explain that. The "paste all txt information" absolutely does not work for me. But I can paste into the first track on a disk and it will put subsequent lines of text to work on the subsequent tracks. That's very nice indeed.

Perhaps the only problem with legacy MD is the 1700 character limit. This means some downloaded information will often overflow what there's room for on the disk.

• 1 year later...

so i have a ton of mostly live recordings

i added track names and divisions, manually, laboriously, with the portable recording decks

i want to take all the discs, and for each one, have the following thing happen:

each track becomes a separate mp3 file on a pc AND

if i gave it a track name, i want that track name to be part of the file name

( if no track name exists, i still want it to be called "track 3" or whatever, preserving the original order)

how do i do that?

i do NOT have to have precise audiophile fidelity

if the solution involves anything analog [which i doubt since i also need track names], that is OK

and keep in mind it;s all MDLP

oh- actually some may be SP mono, as well - but i can give that up if i can do all the MDLP stuff

thx

wle

I've merged this new request with your original post of 18 months ago.

The answer is simple: MZ-RH1 (known as MZ-M200 when sold with a microphone) and a PC. Mac will not do it, you have to run Windows. However the bad news is that RH1's have gone from available to not-available through the retail channel. Consequently prices for a new unit have gone through the roof.

Good luck with your quest!

Hi wle,

I have one grey RH1 in rather bad aesthetically condition and which have jog lever problems BUT is in perfect condition to upload tracks in PCM (also for listening and recording but I don't use it anymore for that). See here :

I can sell it to you or exchange it with MD blanks (that I will upload for you, I have two RH1).

I have family in USA coming soon for Xmas in Vietnam and coming back in California, that will be pretty cool for international "postage".

Send a PM to me if you are interested.