Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jaywars

SonicStage Error code 00004e2e

Rate this question

Question

hi everyone~

sorry for creating this topic since there is someone posted it, but i had read the comments/replies

and my problem is still not yet fixed.

My sonic stage 4.3 used to work very well on last few months....but now i cannot run this program.

This is exactly my situation.

I double-click the SonicStage shortcut, I get the following message:

The selected music file cannot be played back because the system information has changed. Click OK to automatically close SonicStage and open the SonicStage System Information Restore Tool. (Error code 00004e2e)

So, I click OK. Then I get small window telling me 'Step 1. Database authentication. SonicStage will authenticate your database on the internet'. Quite what constitutes 'authentic' I have no idea. After all, SonicStage is freely available; it's not something you would steal or 'crack'. It's just something you get supplied on a CD with your player, and can update to the latest version on the net (which is what I did).

Anyway, fine, so I click the 'Next' tab as instructed.

Then for less than one second, the word 'Authenticating...' is displayed, until suddenly another even smaller window opens, with the words 'SonicStage System Restore Tool' along the top bar, no writing in it, just a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it, and an OK tab.

So I click OK, and nothing happens. I'm just left with the original little 'Database authentication' window and the Next tab.

And so it goes on. I can't open it, I can't authenticate it. Reinstalling hasn't helped.

23 answers to this question

First comment: this sequence of events only happened because you apparently have music that has DRM in it (encrypted by keys that are special to your install of Windows). Sony thinks you are trying to transfer something you don't have rights to. Hence the keyword "Authentication". There's an authentication server somewhere out there on the internet. I have no idea if it is still running, or (if not) whether it will come back tomorrow or the next day.

(no matter that you probably did nothing wrong: we are just trying to get to the bottom of it).

First question: can you survive if you put all the MP3's somewhere that Sonic Stage will not touch, completely delete SS, reinstall it (make sure you reboot before that), and reimport the files to SS?

i got partition in my harddisc....C drive and D drive...the sonic stage is installed in C drive and if i move all the mp3 to D drive...is it consider as somewhere that sonic stage will not touch?

thanks a lot for helping!!!

First, are these files really MP3s? I have noticed lately that people call them that regardless of the real file contents, just as in the UK a vacuum cleaner is referred to as a "Hoover". So if these files can not be played with a true MP3 player (not sonicstage), STOP RIGHT HERE.

Thanks

Stephen

yes,mostly is MP3 and some wma,ape,m4a...

so, what should i do now is move all the songs to somewhere else that sonic stage will not touch?

Re-record all your music in Atrac to enjoy superior sound quality over MP3. Sonicstage was optimized to meet this objective from day one.

yes,mostly is MP3 and some wma,ape,m4a...

so, what should i do now is move all the songs to somewhere else that sonic stage will not touch?

OK.

Sure, copy them to that D: drive, and make sure you can play every single one when it gets there. As long as there's no ATRAC you're in good shape.

Next, you need to delete all traces of Sonic Stage from your computer. This is probably harder than it sounds. One of our members, "hungerdunger" went through exactly this problem recently. He probably remembers what it was that triggered all this, but I am thinking he was running W64 (whereas you are using W32, correct?).

Some questions:

1. do you have a firewall (the favourite seems to be Zone Alarm) installed? This may have prevented the database authentication because it wouldn't allow you to connect to the net.

2. Are you running as administrator? Or did you just start running from a non-admin account?

I just looked through my notes from hungerdunger and it seems possible something happened to your Windows install, according to him, the following helped so that when he reinstalled Sonic Stage it was ok.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

However I would remove Sonic Stage FIRST. Make sure that the "OpenMG Secure Module" is gone from your list of programs (after SS removal), if not remove it by hand (ie click the remove button in control panel).

After you complete the repair of Windows, suggest you install the "Ultimate Version" of Sonic Stage (in our downloads section) rather than anything directly from Sony. Avrin, our ex-technician supergenius, did a few tweaks to make our lives easier when he created this version, and it should install pretty much anywhere. But perhaps you did that already....

Hope this helps.

Stephen

stephen,

uhmm....my firewall is all off....and i'm using kaspersky antivirus...

YES, i'm running as administrator, i'm the only one who using this desktop.

i moved all the songs to the other drive...uninstalled SS (and "OpenMG Secure Module")..... then reinstalled the "Ultimate Version" of Sonic Stage.....but it's still the same...nothing different sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Well this is all outside my experience, except to pass on the message from hungerdunger. Evidently something happened to your Windows install. I simply don't trust antivirus programs any more.

Go ahead and do that repair - you may be surprised. Something you installed over top has zapped your SonicStage.

yea....i will do it tmr~ :D

once again....thanks for helping!

STEPHEN!

MY PROBLEM SOLVED~!

Reformat my D drive.....and using sonic stage ultimate version =)

My advice is to turn off Automatic updates in W7. Sounds like something pushed out from MSFT is causing things to get trashed. But this is probably not a good long term strategy.

Glad you got it working - but I have no idea why formatting a non-system drive should make a difference. Hmmm.. I know that when I had a (beta) W7 install the system did something special to the partition so you couldn't go back and access that partition from XP. So perhaps after you have been using W7 for a certain amount of time Microsoft sneakily reformats it in such a way that Sony's software gets confused. This would explain Dick(Hungerdunger)'s experience and yours too.

Par-a-noi-a........

Hi,

I ran in the same problems. Installation ok at first and the error 00004e2e after removing the shortcut for sonic stage...

I tried to erradicate the programs and even the removing all the registery for sony and sonic... reloaded the programs under various modes... still not working and getting the same error.

After reading the hint "reformating a disc", I removed the programs with the normal windows procedure.

AND I reloded the program on an other drive (i.e. drive F:) and now everithing is working again..

Thanks to your guys

Hi Jaywars,

I'm also a user of Sony Minidisc Recorders (MZ/N10 and MZ/RH1) and had the same problems as you.

On internet I found the following solution:

1) Browse to the directory C:\Program files\Common files\Sony Shared\OpenMG\restorable, then you will find two files, namely icv.dat and maclist.dat;

2) Select both these files and copy them to the parent folder C:\Program files\Common files\Sony Shared\OpenMG;

3) After closing these directories etc. launch the SonicStage icon on your screen;

4) I have executed these procedure for both Windows XP (desktop computer) and Windows 7 Ultimate (notebook) and in both cases it was succesfull.

Note: this only works if these files exist. Typically this will only be when someone ran SonicStage Backup at least once, I believe.

Hi everyone,

I have just spent the past day re-installing SonicStage after a complete XP crash and re-install. I had all the error messages above, including

"sonicstage cannot locate c error code 00004e22"

After numerous attempts of reinstalling - and remember this is a new fully updated XP with SP3 install - very clean, I could still not get SonicStage 4.3 to install from a full file. I also searched and found a European Full Install of SonicStage 4.2, as well as having a 4.0 CD, neither of them installed, always unable to locate the "sonicstage cannot locate needed files related to windows media format". I also downloaded version 3.3 full install SonicStage, but realized I needed to somehow "locate" those "needed Windows Media Format" files.

It occurred to me that the cutting edge codecs might not include the older ones needed.

I fixed it by using Revo Uninstaller Pro (also free, using a fully functioning demo),

I Uninstalled OpenMG,

I deleted the following folders within Program Files/Sony/ : SonicStage, OpenMG Jukebox

Uninstalling Windows Media Player 11, rolling back, then removing the factory install of 10, then installing WMP 9, and scoured the web for Media Player XP codec packs from the period that would be when SonicStage active. I installed the following, all free, codec packs:

Essentials Codec Pack,

InstaCodecs,

Cole2K Media - Codec Pack

I also installed DirectX Runtime End User from 2006

And after the requiste reboots, I installed the SonicStage 3.3 and set the file location to my substantial "SonicStageLibrary" folder, and then ran the Import Folder option; and deselected everything but the ATRAC format files, and only directed it to my SonicStageLibary Folder.

It processed all the files,

And they play!

No "authorization" errors!

If I'm brave I'll update to the later versions of SonicStage, but for now, this is working!

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, please ask!

Scott

www.scottmusic.net

The 4.3 from our downloads section?

Question: are you by any remote chance trying to install or reinstall something on a machine with no (or blocked) internet connection?

Stephen

PS - Atrac Advanced Lossless has NO encryption. Ever.

Stephen,

thanks for your great advice about moving mp3's. I couldn't install SonicStage until I moved the MP3's to a separate drive.

Another thing I noticed was, I still had some MP3's compressed in ZIP files and SonicStage installation wasn't affected by them there.

thanks again, Phil

I'm not exactly sure where I said that, but if that's what works, all power to you Phil. I do know that it becomes necessary to eject and re-add MP3's and WAVs if they change in any way at all after they have been added to the SonicStage Database. So maybe moving them forces the DB to treat them as a completely "new" file.

Stephen

Hi

I know this is an old thread but I really hope that someone can help me. I still have Sonic Stage on my old laptop, the files are .oma files so I've been unable to transfer them to anything. Somehow I'm now blocked from getting onto Sonic Stage at all. I'm getting the message 'the selected music file cannot be played back because the system information has been changed, error code 00004e2e. It suggests that the Sonic Stage restore tool won't work, so I've lost access to all my music.

I only keep this laptop as a music player because I've never been able to get these .oma files converted or moved in any way. I don't have access to my original CD collection as I now live abroad and they're in storage.

If anyone can help me I will be very grateful!

Roisin

On 5/8/2012 at 3:12 PM, rois said:

Hi

I know this is an old thread but I really hope that someone can help me. I still have Sonic Stage on my old laptop, the files are .oma files so I've been unable to transfer them to anything. Somehow I'm now blocked from https://dudehung.com/vigrx-plus-review-results-2016 this vigrx review getting onto Sonic Stage at all. I'm getting the message 'the selected music file cannot be played back because the system information has been changed, error code 00004e2e. It suggests that the Sonic Stage restore tool won't work, so I've lost access to all my music.

I only keep this laptop as a music player because I've never been able to get these .oma files converted or moved in any way. I don't have access to my original CD collection as I now live abroad and they're in storage.

If anyone can help me I will be very grateful!

Roisin

Is anyone else still getting this error code? I'm getting it now.