Sony to End Minidisc Walkman Production

Webmaster

If only the said bookshelf systems were HiMD with no restrictions and full I/O and USB access....

My most useful unit todate is the MDLP bookshelf unit made almost exactly 10 years ago; but I use it in conjnction with the RH1's upload capabilities. If a single model had both (deck/integrated + HiMD with upload) then I would buy not 1 but several.

A sad day but nonetheless probably inevitable.

• 1 month later...

If only the said bookshelf systems were HiMD with no restrictions and full I/O and USB access....

My most useful unit todate is the MDLP bookshelf unit made almost exactly 10 years ago; but I use it in conjnction with the RH1's upload capabilities. If a single model had both (deck/integrated + HiMD with upload) then I would buy not 1 but several.

A sad day but nonetheless probably inevitable.

Time to get an iPod I guess...

Not a chance. I continue to stock up on MDLP gear that no one appears to want. This week I added an MXD-D5C and and MXD-D40 to the collection.

I'd be interested to see what you have to say about the MXD-D40 after you use it for a while. I have two of them. Overall, I like them a lot. They are workhorse-type machines that just keep going and going (I bought both Used). I can't really comment on the sound much, because one is attached to a small powered-speaker w/sub setup and the other is headphones-only, but they sound good those ways. The MXD-D40 will copy at 4x in Stereo or Mono mode; at 2x in LP. Its CD player reads CDs about as well as most CD players do.

I don't mind so much that the 'D40 has no digital out, as I knew that when I bought. What I didn't know was that it will not do an internal copy of SCMS-protected CDs. It gives me a Cannot Copy message when I try. Compare to the MXD-D400, which upon determining that the source CD is protected, switches automatically to 1x analog mode and goes about its business copying.

Anyway, congrats on the 'D40 pickup and of course the MXD-D5C. Does the 'D5C copy at >1X from multiple CDs, do you know?

My plan is to convert one (but not both) of them to digital out, haven't decided which. If the D5C had not appeared (for not much $$) on craigslist (it's Japan-made) a couple of days before the D40 was due to arrive, I might never have been tempted. The real motivation was that I wanted a backup M-Crew-capable unit as I saw some signs my PX3 might be getting too hot (looks like that may have been fixed with a 100V powersupply converter). And both of these have the right drive to slip in to the PX3 if need be.

You da man with an SCMS stripper, I thought. Do tell..... I guess the point in your post is INTERNAL vs EXTERNAL.

I haven't tested all the capabilities, but I already tested the D5C highspeed copy multiple CDs to a single (LP2) MD. The D400 is the only one that will do x4 on LP. This is because it has a special quad-clock circuit, IIRC.

My plan is to convert one (but not both) of them to digital out, haven't decided which. If the D5C had not appeared (for not much $$) on craigslist (it's Japan-made) a couple of days before the D40 was due to arrive, I might never have been tempted. The real motivation was that I wanted a backup M-Crew-capable unit as I saw some signs my PX3 might be getting too hot (looks like that may have been fixed with a 100V powersupply converter). And both of these have the right drive to slip in to the PX3 if need be.

You da man with an SCMS stripper, I thought. Do tell..... I guess the point in your post is INTERNAL vs EXTERNAL.

I haven't tested all the capabilities, but I already tested the D5C highspeed copy multiple CDs to a single (LP2) MD. The D400 is the only one that will do x4 on LP. This is because it has a special quad-clock circuit, IIRC.

Right on both counts. I do have an SCMS stripper, the Hucht Copyprocessor MK III. Neither of my MXD-D40s is in the same system as the Hucht, so yes, I meant internal.

Good luck with the conversion, whichever unit you decide to convert. That's awesome. The 'D400 spoils you with its 4x/LP copy. After that, the 2x just seems to take forever. But then, for stereo and mono, the 'D40 is just as fast. It's perfect for temporary comps in SP and an absolute gem for putting audiobooks onto MD in mono. In fact, one of MDs truly useful features (in my car, anyway) is that an audiobook picks up right where I left it. I wonder if iPods and such do that? (Really don't know.) I have always been intrigued by the MXD-D5C, but I have become wary of CD changers in general.

Hi to all fans of Minidisc. For years I have been wishing that the Minidisc technology took off and became standard. But this was not the case. So, yesterday I set up an online petition to ask Sony to reconsider and try to make the Minidisc work out for us, the consumer. Please sign my petition and when I get enough signatures, I will send it to Sony in the hopes that they will try a bit harder. The link is:

HERE---->

<-----

I'd be so happy if we could get Sony to change their minds. I love Minidisc, I think it is the ideal portable audio solution. Thanks for all your help!

Edited by sfbp
Moved link to a topic with its own title

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This sucks for all of us (not me!) who did not stockpile on decks and blank media already, I'm glad I did, although I have alread sold both one of my (previously three now two) RH1's and an NH1 and intend to sell some of my massive collection of SP-mode-only Walkmen, I also have plenty of R700, G750, NH700, RH710, RH1 and assorted home, pro, and car units in which I intend to keep a hold of and use every once in awhile.

I also own a couple of 6th Generation nanos and also a couple of NW-HD5s for mass media devices but the HD5 will not allow me to use my RM-MC40ELK remote in the "LINE OUT" mode (which would have allowed me to use my FiiO E5 headphone amp and a decent pair of cans with both a LINE OUT and a remote as opposed to mere buds or IEM's) instead it automatically switches over to "PHONES" out and that really is a bummer, as I was hoping for the superior sound of Atrac3plus 64k on my HD5 instead of MP3 64k on my nano with a pair of serious full-sized headphones, so therefore, I had no choice (unless there is a LINE OUT hack on the HD5 would allows use of a remore with it) but to use my nano with an LOD and my E5 and Sony MDR-NC50's, which need an amp to drive them properly.

BIGHMW,

I have two HD5s as well, sweet little machines! I need to bust them out and fill them with some tunes, you are right about the remote turning off the line out setting, I noticed that years ago as well. I also picked up a nice little HD1 which is very similar to the HD5s, firmware is a little different and I don't think it supports all of the ATRAC3Plus bit rates

I hope I have stockpiled enough gear to last me until I fond something better, that may never happen.

I hated to hear this as I have just started getting back to using the mini disc equipment I had. I think I have enough discs, 40+ of the Hi MD, 20 of the 74 minute and 60+ of the 80 minute.

Maybe I will pick up some more of the 80 minute discs.

As far as hardware I have a MZ-707 Net MD, two of the RH10, one NH900 and a RH1 and a RMC40ELK remote.

Frank