Sony will stop Minidisc production in september 2011

Rate this topic

PhilippeC

We discussed about that information in another topic but this time I just find out a link In french buba.gif...

Walkman http://www.maxiscien...es_art9967.html

Minidisc http://www.maxiscien...x_art15693.html

For french no speaking dummies, minidisc.org topic...

http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/26919-sony-to-end-minidisc-walkman-production/

• 2 weeks later...

I don`t think it will be total canceled.

A 2/3 part of world show-business using minidiscs. I don`t think that Sony will dump all of them.

I think that production line will be simply moved from Sony Customer to Sony Professional. Blank disks will be produced but in not so much quantity and it will cost more expencive...

I don`t think it will be total canceled.

A 2/3 part of world show-business using minidiscs. I don`t think that Sony will dump all of them.

I think that production line will be simply moved from Sony Customer to Sony Professional. Blank disks will be produced but in not so much quantity and it will cost more expencive...

MiniDisc is in a sort of NederWorld where sort of just exists. The MD following continues to use the format and are very happy with it while those not aware that it ever existed ( they are out there, I have been asked what I have in my hand and when I tell them a MiniDisc, they want to know what that is ) thanks to SONYs very sparce or lack of advertising.

As far as MiniDisc availability goes, the PROFESSIONAL DISCS are already out of production. They are on store shelves at a price of about $6.99 each and are being sold as first come, first served. I think at that price, they will be available for awhile. SONY still produces the Premium GOLD MDW80PL and as far as I know the Neige MiniDiscs. VICTOR is also producing an 80 minute disc in two versions. I don't know of any other company making them but they dropped the MiniDIsc long before the TSUNAMI hit Japan.

This brings on interesting thoughts as TASCAM has at least 3 new decks out now. One is a professional unit and the other two are Pro but more affordable for the consumer. The hitch is TASCAM does not make MiniDiscs themselves, having to depend on SONY or some other manufacturer to supply the discs. It really does not make sense that a company like TASCAM would go into design and manufacture without knowing that there would be a supply of MiniDiscs for their product. This is a scene that will have to be watched and see how it plays out.

Keep Those MiniDiscs Spinning! WHY ELSE ARE YOU HERE?