Music Sync & Network Shares

Rate this topic

Cadillac Cowboy

Both the wife and I are Music Unlimited customers (with seperate accounts), with a large (30GB+) digital music collection that consists of digital (downloaded) music purchased from Sony's "bandit.fm" music store - we would like to sync this music with our respective Music Unlimited accounts using Qriocity's "Music Sync" program (available from the Music Unlimited Web site)...

The problem is, each computer can "see" and navigate the folders on our NAS (network attached storage) server, but we simply cannot select any of the NAS-based folders... The "OK" button is greyed-out!

Is anyone else having these issues?

post-126146-0-69657200-1313480133_thumb.

It sounds like good ol' read-only access to me.

You might start with the Microsoft end of things, and make sure the shareable folder is permitted Read-Write ("Full Control") to "Everyone". Then make sure your client computer logon user is running as Administrator, or member of the Administrators Group(Sony always seems to warn about this).

If that doesn't do it, you'll have to figure out whether Sony is blocking things knowing that the device is networked. But I sincerely doubt it. It's also possible you need to have the exact same user (SID) logged on in both machines to share the music, but don't get too riled up about that until you've eliminated the simpler issues first.

All this assumes that you have proper access to the NAS to make it as shareable as you need to. This will mean, at the very least, a Pro Windows of some kind, or a Server version of Windows (you'll know if you have one of these). If the NAS is some proprietary out of the box jobbie then I can't tell you what to do. But every folder you need access to needs to be fully shared for RW access, and permissions either explicitly set; or (better) inherited, because you don't want this pain every time you make a new folder.

Hope this helps. You seem to be attacking a lot of new problems in a short time, don't bite off more than you can chew, m8. My "solution" to non-shareable shareable stuff (pretty well all in ATRAC) is to:

a. decrypt (remove DRM) any SonicStage tracks, and compress WAV to Atrac Advanced Lossless (flac or AAC may do perfectly well for your purposes).

b. regularly clone the music directory to at least one other machine on the network. It's way too precious to lose it with a HDD crash. I use SyncToy from Microsoft, a freebie, works quite well once you get used to its minor eccentricities (inevitable with non-products).

I realise that this may be irrelevant to your situation. I have no idea how this kind of thing works with Apple/Qriocity DRM and protected MP3's - the Connect tunes are a thing of the past, and I always smirk a bit at the Ipod mob when they tell me that they can't play their favourite song in the dining-room but can only listen to it upstairs. My fear is that Sony simply doesn't want you to do what you're asking.

Start with the NAS issues. If it's DRM you're running into, most likely you can't solve it.

Stephen