Poor me... lost 20 of my recordings after editing

Rate this topic

PhilippeC

Happy having downloaded diablo.gif300 albums recently, most of them in 24bit-96kHz (original CDs from Linn and chesky Records or Vinyl Rips), time was this week to record them on some MD blanks.

Crap...

Some kind of revenge remanent make most of recordings completely unuseable ("blank disc" or "TOC error").

Everything was well during the recording from my computer to my JB980, TOC Writing also. Editing has been done not with my JB980 and a keyboard but using a MZ-NH900 with Sonic Stage. Ending with the classic System File Writing before ejecting the disc. Copy/paste track names after editing CUE files. Zen during a while...

After that, 20 discs are unreadable by both my MZ-N510 and the JB980. Only 4 of them are still completely readable and with the complete track editing. After testing all the 20 discs, I tested them on my MZ-NH900. It refused to read some of them but was able to edit the majority of them in SonicStage. Strangly many tracks lost those editings done by itself. But even if I edit again the discs with my MZ-NH900, they are blank discs or TOC Error discs for my JB980 and my MZ-510.

Crap...

I will do the JB980 recording + MZ-N510 editing + JB980 listening test tomorrow.

If something still wrong, I will record and edit my music with MZ-N510 or maybe with my MZ-NH900. I suppose that procedure will work as I still have 100 MDs recorded and edited this way and all readable with my JB980.

Crap... What could have happened ?

Sounds like a busted overwrite head to me, or possibly a need for Laser Power adjustment. It could also be a piece of sticky goo from a label inside. I can't tell from your description which machine but my money is on the NH900.

RIGHT NOW, put everything you care about into a box (maybe a mental box), and establish some very simple tests with brand new disks that have never been written on.

Because of TOC cacheing it's very tricky to see where the error is, you see........

Good luck.

Stephen

Sounds like a busted overwrite head to me, or possibly a need for Laser Power adjustment. It could also be a piece of sticky goo from a label inside. I can't tell from your description which machine but my money is on the NH900.

RIGHT NOW, put everything you care about into a box (maybe a mental box), and establish some very simple tests with brand new disks that have never been written on.

Because of TOC cacheing it's very tricky to see where the error is, you see........

Good luck.

Stephen

Will do some direct recording test with a virgin blank MD.

Maybe it is more simple to use a USB cable between my computer and my JB980 for a direct editing. Shame I did not do that before. It is also the first time I do some recordings with my JB980. All these months I just use it like a player or a DA convertor.

I suppose that the deck will be automatiquely recognized by SS 4.3.01.14050 Ultimate (XP SP3) or do I must copy a missing driver to be found on Sony Insider ?

You need pa_driver.zip from the downloads section.

you might be able to get the recordings back if you have any machine that can read the discs just record a 1 second silence at the end of the disk and the toc will be rewritten and any of your players could read it. i have done this before sometimes it works

try recording without editing and see what happens, also try recording to the NH-900 in a compatible mode and see if the 980 reads it, I think your problems lies in the editing, seem to recall this problem from a few years ago here

try recording without editing and see what happens, also try recording to the NH-900 in a compatible mode and see if the 980 reads it, I think your problems lies in the editing, seem to recall this problem from a few years ago here

THIS SUCKS

Next time I will use that trick because I have already erase all the tracks on the 20 discs.

bobt

Recording without editing is OK on the JB980. I was thinking of making recording on each unit + listening on all units tests without editing today. For sure, it is an editing problem.

Guess maybe I will get an answer for that editing problem with my NH900 today, instead at least a full recording + editing solution with my JB980 this week ?

You need pa_driver.zip from the downloads section.

I download it, install it but my computer said it "already got a good driver". I connected a USB cable on my JB980 and run SS ultimate. Nothing, the deck is not recognize. I shut down the deck, dowloaded pa_driver.exe this time, install it (no message from the computer this time), put the deck on, run SS and... nothing.

For the first time also, I plug a PS/2 US keyboard on the front side of my JB980. Load Edit menu and write Puccini - Mme Butterfly without any problem. TOC writing is oK, eject and MD load again, new disc title is read. At least THAT edit mode work ! pleasantry.gif

Recording without editing is OK on the JB980.

Philippe, make sure you can remove the disk, reinsert it, and that the data (music) really is still there.

Lots of buffering, many short tests will appear to work; when the machine is terminally dead already.

Stephen

Philippe, make sure you can remove the disk, reinsert it, and that the data (music) really is still there.

Lots of buffering, many short tests will appear to work; when the machine is terminally dead already.

Stephen

I spent a lot of time to edit my 41 Madama Butterfly tracks with the external keyboards. Work OK but what a pain in the (bip). TOC writing, eject, load again, TOC reading OK, check some track titles Ok. But not recognize yet by SS.

Soooo, I will try later to uninstall SS and reinstall it on my Windows XP 32 computer, I will install pa_driver.exe just after it.

I spent a lot of time to edit my 41 Madama Butterfly tracks with the external keyboards. Work OK but what a pain in the (bip). TOC writing, eject, load again, TOC reading OK, check some track titles Ok. But not recognize yet by SS.

Soooo, I will try later to uninstall SS and reinstall it on my Windows XP 32 computer, I will install pa_driver.exe just after it.

Sounds a lot like the NH900 is the root of the problem. Jim and I both have some experience in fixing - but it may be that you need pham to fix the overwrite head on the 900.

Sounds a lot like the NH900 is the root of the problem. Jim and I both have some experience in fixing - but it may be that you need pham to fix the overwrite head on the 900.

I am not after reinstalling SS Ultimate + pa_driver.exe still able to recognize my JB980. But nevermind, my N510 is recognized and edit my Puccini (damned you if you mess up my MD... OOOOhhh Yes, good boy) perfectly. New title has been recognized by my JB980. Look like I just need to replace my NH900 by my N510 for my SS editing facilities.

Crap, got new but not boring problem with JB980 / SS. NH900 is more boring and yes Pham Cu will perhaps have a look on the NH900 overwrite head. It look like I am close to become a real pain in the ass for him. That is his choice, repairing our heart.gif minidisc recorders...

I forgot to push on JB980 Net MD front button. Does not change a lot in fact, Windows said that there is a NetMD drive ans ask for a new driver. Even if I point to pa_driver.zip unzipped folder, or XP folder, no way. pa_driver.exe don't do it even after the deck is on Net MD mode. Miss something.

you might be able to get the recordings back if you have any machine that can read the discs just record a 1 second silence at the end of the disk and the toc will be rewritten and any of your players could read it. i have done this before sometimes it works

Thanks THIS SUCKS (where do you find that silly name?). I got one disc readable by my JB980 but not both my NH900 and sadly with my N510. It was "full". I delete the last track (longer that the original tracks due to no stopping recording), and re-record the last track plus one "official" track silence track (thanks to one Gart Brooks' album) to make "bonne mesure" and... the disc is recognize by my N510 and SonicStage ! Funny trick !thank_you2.gif

I forgot to push on JB980 Net MD front button. Does not change a lot in fact, Windows said that there is a NetMD drive ans ask for a new driver. Even if I point to pa_driver.zip unzipped folder, or XP folder, no way. pa_driver.exe don't do it even after the deck is on Net MD mode. Miss something.

Sorry, wrong driver. You need the old drivers here

Or better yet use the all-in-one Netmd052.sys as described in my recent posts again. I will clean that stuff up soon, I promise. I've been rather busy with something else.

HA! That suggests there is a backup TOC (I think I read of this but never saw evidence until now).

No. This Sucks says that if the (one and only) poor TOC can be read on at least one machine, it is worth while dirtying it, so that that the very machine that could read it, would also rewrite it.

One can reasonably hope that such a rewrite of the same TOC on the same disc could make it better, and that other machines could read it afterwards.

This Sucks suggest to record a new (short, disposable) track, when I would name or rename an existing track. The result would be the same: the TOC would be dirtied, and rewritten.

The best machine I know to restore damaged TOCs with this procedure is the HHb MDP500. It is definitely more tolerant to TOC damage, and beats all Sony decks in this regard.

A similar trick can be used to restore DATA (alas at the cost of one generation hop), with decks equipped with Scale Factor Edit.

If such a deck can read a damaged track (that other machines cannot), one can Scale Factor Edit the track by +2db or -2b, and the deck will rewrite the same track in place (without dirtying the TOC, for that matter).

This rewrite can make the track readable again on other machines also.

It is a pity that the Sony decks do not offer a 0db Scale Factor Edit, that woulds simply rewrite the track in place, without decoding/reencoding it, nor changing its level.

Sorry, wrong driver. You need the old drivers here

Or better yet use the all-in-one Netmd052.sys as described in my recent posts again. I will clean that stuff up soon, I promise. I've been rather busy with something else.

The old driver work perfectly. Editing is more simple now.