Bravia HDL-52V5100 TV Looses HDMI And Requires Reflashing Frequently

Rate this question

kg4dkf

Question

My Sony HDL-52V5100 stopped working with HDMI sources. It has done this 5 times now and each time a firmware flash fixed it, but that takes time and erases all of my settings (costing me over an hour of work to recover video settings and the like). It is as if the TV forgets how to see an HDMI source. The most recent time it also caused component and composite to become black and white and skewed (in other words all sources were gone other than OTA, and I couldn't test that because I didn't have an antenna). Is there something I can do about this?

Note: I was using a firmware released in 2010, and the recent firmware released 11 April, 2011 has now also failed to fix the problem.

1 answer to this question

I'd suspect a damaged cable somewhere. If there's an intermittent ground on one of them, this might easily cause such behaviour, as these are high speed relatively low voltage signals, of course.

Try plugging in one HDMI source at a time only (and of course do NOT start with your favourite, save that for the end because that is probably the cause). Let each one go for an hour, and while you are sitting there annoyed you can't switch around as you wish, try to imagine or recall what sequence of operations sets it off. You'll probably solve it in the first hour :)

When you have figured out which input the problem arises from, you might start doing some serious checking on that component.

If everything fails from the start, then your TV is fault, no doubt. Either that or there are huge glitches in the power supply and you need to be running from a nice non-spiky UPS. I hear they have some weather down there at the moment, maybe, just maybe, that is at the back of all this.

Welcome to the forums!