PSP Modchip: "Undiluted Platinum"

Rate this question

Ishiyoshi

Question

For those interested, a PSP [undiluted Platinum] modchip will be available shortly from the ModChipStore.com

The Undiluted Platinum PSP Mod Chip is packed full of features. It is every gamer's dream to have a modded PSP that will play all Homebrew Games, Movies, and Apps. The Mod Chip will Unbrick any previously Bricked PSP because of its 2nd flash on the board. It is hands down the BEST breakthrough in the gaming industry today.

The U.P. (Undiluted Platinum) PSP ModChip is a flash replacement system for the Sony PSP™ which allows the use of previous flash updates or custom firmware builds, This ability creates the opportunity to run unsigned homebrew code on even the latest Sony PSP Handheld Portable. There is no more need for Unreliable Hacked Firmware. The U.P. contains 32MB NAND flash which is programmable from a PC via USB Cable with user friendly software. The Dual-Boot Feature of the U.P. PSP Mod Chip allows you to boot from the PSP's Onboard Flash, or the one mounted on the Undiluted Platinum PSP ModChip; You can tell your PSP which Flash to use by a single button being pressed during power-up. Hold L1 during power up to boot from PSP flash, or dont hold anything to boot from U.P Flash Default. Since U.P. provides a secondary flash which the PSP can boot from, it can even be used to restore a PSP which has been "bricked". Every effort has been made to make our flash updater software, which will be freely available for download, both as easy to use and reliable as possible. The software also contains diagnostics which can be used by installers to determine if an installation has been successful or not.

The U.P. has been designed to minimize installation difficulty and effort. A FPC (flexible printed circuit) cable is included which routes the essential signals from the PSP motherboard to the U.P. main board and U.P. USB connector. Copper enamel wire is included, which will provide the connection between the FPC cable and the motherboard signal traces. The FPC cable also helps by reducing the mechanical stress placed on the solder points, making a U.P. modified PSP shock resistant which is important for handheld systems.

The FPC cable end to which the USB connector board attaches is routed into the battery compartment and sits above the battery. The Battery Cover can be replaced after flash updating and the cable remains safely in the compartment until the next update is required, whereupon the USB connector can be clipped in place within a few seconds. This means that the U.P. is completely contained within the PSP under normal usage and avoids any unsightly external modifications to your PSP. PSP is after all portable, let’s keep it that way!

In order to maximise the benefits that U.P. can provide its users, The U.P. PSP Mod Chip has an open source approach, and will be releasing source code for any software U.P releases, as well as full documentation for the U.P. hardware interface - including information on how to control U.P. from within PSP programs. This will allow anybody to create software which can take advantage of what U.P. has to offer. This means there will be some guaranteed great programs from the scene's best Hackers.

16328.jpg

Excerpts from QJ.NET and PSPUpdates:

"The U.P. team have released the first set of installation diagrams for their upcoming modchip.The diagrams show installation position of the FPC cables , traces which require soldering of wire to and usage procedure of the installation aids. The first release is for Motherboard TA-079, with TA-080 and TA-081 to follow tomorrow. TA-082 is not supported, however, they seem to be limited to Asia and have 2.6 or above firmwares. We believe that overall numbers of TA-082 as a proportion compared with TA-079, TA-080 and TA-081, should be quite limited."

If that all sounds and looks like Sanskrit to you, fear not, we're here to transambulate the kooky techspeak for ya. Apparently 0okm was right when he stated that PSP's with TA-082 motherboards wouldn't be able to benefit from the sweet chip's modular magic, but don't panic, here's the skinny:

The chip will work with all PSP's that contain motherboards with model numbers TA-079, TA-080 and TA-081. However, the installation of the chip across these three motherboards will differ, the images below show the installation of the chip on a TA-079 motherboard. We expect diagrams detailing installation on TA-080 and TA-081 boards to arrive tomorrow, as well as a video in the near future.

8 answers to this question

Guest Stuge

Yup ,I saw this info few days back on some other site

since i will get PSP next month but i don`t think i will use any type of MOD chip on it ..

but my PS2 has a MOd chip already to play pirated cd`s :lol::lol:

A mod chip for the PSP isnt that usefull as for the consoles, there's no UMD copies

Yup ,I saw this info few days back on some other site

since i will get PSP next month but i don`t think i will use any type of MOD chip on it ..

but my PS2 has a MOd chip already to play pirated cd`s :lol::lol:

For people from countries (myself included) where the price of the Software is too high to afford some good games the MOD chip is a salvation B) however my favorites games are original copies... btw Im also planning to get a PSP just for MGS:PO :)

With the PSP being region free for games, I don't see this being as popular as mod-chip for consoles, especially for that price. As for pirated games, I have heard there are UMD rips of the games you can put on your memory stick. Unless the modchip can give the PSP more functionality (eg. direct Divx/Xvid playback, unrestricted mp4 video support), It's hard to justify the price.