All your "lost" .oma files

sfbp

Something of a breakthrough has been achieved by the Open Source community, for those unfortunate folks who lost all their music files because of a Windows re-install, upgrade, or hard disk crash.

The Sony Restore File Information procedure is no longer necessary for Sonic Stage (the famous error when it starts up and complains with an error and never lets you get to the main screen of Sonic Stage). The ffmpeg, ffplay, and (soon) VLC media player (will) have support for playing back and/or converting these "unplayable" uploaded files that have caused so many people to curse loudly (sometimes here on the board), when they discovered the Restore would not work.

You can read about it here. Note that you will have to read right to the end of that thread to find out the details.

OMA what ?

I never have this problem. I got 5 HDD failure. After the second one, all my music has been saved on CDs audio or DVDs (mp3, m4a, flac, ape) like my video files. I record in real time so I don't need SS at all except for editing the final MD. I use Winamp or foobar2000 for listening or recording as they accept Asio4all or Kernel Streaming audio output plugin. With SS, not only one plugin, even to enhance the music ! SS is not even able to help us to create labels. Winamp and foobar2000 plus any wysiwyg text editor can help us to do it very easily.

Philippe - all the guys with lots of MD here already know what you are saying. But 95% of the folks who come here looking for a solution had exactly 1 unit and everything was fine until one day Registry Mechanic or some utility corrupted their DRM keys. It's not so much crash (though of course the normal disclaimers always apply to people who have no backup).

Stephen

Philippe - all the guys with lots of MD here already know what you are saying. But 95% of the folks who come here looking for a solution had exactly 1 unit and everything was fine until one day Registry Mechanic or some utility corrupted their DRM keys. It's not so much crash (though of course the normal disclaimers always apply to people who have no backup).

Stephen

I tell you more, I think that the guys who didn't have that OMA problem are from the non NetMD generation, used to record in real time and mostly had stick on this way to record there MDs, they loved it. I did myself lot of recording with my NetMD / Hi-MD units with OMA files years ago but after all I deleted myself all files just because it take place on my computer ! Maybe I did not do that if they were at the start in Atrac lossless quality (and more place). Transfer music from any CD audio or WMA files using CD Burner or SS does not take a lot of time, that is also why I did not keep OMA files. If you have time enough for real time recording, you will have time for full cycle NetMD transfers.

• 1 month later...