What have I got? Worth selling, or stick with it?

Rate this topic

Syndil

Hi everyone. Just moved recently, so I've been sorting through all the stuff I have in storage, deciding what to keep and what to bring back into service. I've already got most of my older, high-end stereo components back in service, but I am trying to decide what to do with all of my Minidisc stuff. Really the only place I use Minidisc on a regular basis is in my car, since I have a Sony ES Minidisc HU in there that is still superb, despite its age.

But as I started getting to the MInidisc stuff in storage, nostalgia kicked in, and I'm thinking I might get back into it. I think the deciding factor for me might be the actual value of the equipment. In other words, the stuff might be worth more to me converted to cash than it would be to keep it. Just depends on how desirable the stuff is.

Yes, I know how to go on eBay and look at what stuff is selling for, but it seems with MD stuff the prices vary wildly. What I would really like to know is more an assessment of the quality of the items, and how rare and in-demand this stuff would be to members of the MD community--you guys. If it's ho-hum average componentry, I might just hang on to it, but if it's something a real MD enthusiast would desire, then maybe I'll pass it along to someone who wants it more than I do. Note that I can be rather OCD about some things, so I have all the original packaging and manuals for everything, and everything is in like-new or nearly like-new condition.

So, here's what I have:

Sony MDX-C8970 Mobile ES head unit http://www.minidisc...._MDX-C8970.html

Sony MZ-R37 portable MD recorder http://www.minidisc....ony_MZ-R37.html

Aiwa CSD-MD5 personal stereo system with CD to MD recording http://www.minidisc.org/part_Aiwa_CSD-MD5.html

Denon DMD-1000 full-size stereo component MD recorder/player http://www.minidisc....n_DMD-1000.html

and about 40 to 60 blank MDs, various brands/types, unopened, most in multi-packs.

So is this the type of stuff you guys really drool over and would chomp at the bit for a chance to own, or should I just put it back into service? I imagine the HU would be the most desirable, but it is also the one unit I am least willing to replace unless I can find something of equal or better quality to replace it with. I have not found such a HU yet.

I personally would not take any SP-only-unit in my car. What I look for there is long play. I have this in the form of the MDX-66XLP which allows me 6MD and up to 30 hours without so much as handling a MD. The basic technology of the MD and headunits kept on improving (some of the later quite inexpensive units are really pretty good). So no, I don't think the market is that hot. Having said so, there's the fellow (Hudson) who wants one with amber lights for his BMW, so you might make a quick sale there.

The R-37 is solid but probably surpassed by the R-50. I don't know the other two units at first hand. The Denon 1000 series seems to be very well spoken of. But from its specs it's not a pro unit (SCMS defeat) like the one (1090?) owned by guy who's asking about fixing it over in another thread.

Most MD gear can be had for 80-90% off if you wait long enough. It's up to you if you carry on carrying on, join the club of addicts, or go the way of all flesh and join the IPudders.

Welcome to the forums

Stephen

For me, only the car unit and the deck have a certain value. MZ-R37 is quite a vintage unit and as so could find a new home easily but around $20-$50 depending your luck and the quantity of MDs your offer as a bonus. The boombox is sadly not something sought. Even here in Vietnam, it is the cheapest way to keep in touch with the MD format. Just keep everything, you will not make a lot of money with it. Better to sell your Ipods.

Thanks for the replies. Never been a member of the cult of Apple, but I do have a Toshiba Gigabeat F40 running Rockbox firmware with FLAC support. The only thing keeping me tied to my Sony Mobile ES HU is the superior DSP which has not been surpassed or even matched as far as I can tell. Hard to believe as old as it is. But, after Mobile ES, DSO got dumbed down to a single mode with only 3 levels, whereas my unit has 8 DSO modes with 5 level adjustments each. So that's essentially 40 DSO modes to fine tune the soundstage with, as opposed to 3. And Sony's newest generation of digital media receiver HUs lack DSO entirely. I simply cannot have a HU without DSO after having experienced what it can do.

But seeing as how I'm not sitting on a mint here, I guess I'll just keep everything and burn a few more CDs to MD.

DSO is Dynamic Soundstage Organizer. Basically it uses DSP trickery to fool your ears into thinking that, instead of listening to speakers in your doors, kick panels and front and rear decks, you are listening to a set of stereo speakers directly in front of you. It's different from listening position optimization, which my unit also has, which simply deals with delays to center the stereo sweet spot. DSO uses digital trickery to fool your ears into thinking you are sitting in a stereo listening room instead of a car. I assume it's the same sort of digital trickery Sony used in their MDR-DS5000 virtual Dolby surround headphones... Which I also own.

In my HU, the 8 different DSO modes are:

E-STD (e = enhanced, basically means DSO is turned on)

E-Club

E-Live

E-Wide (places the virtual speakers farther away and farther apart for more stereo separation)

EW-Club (EW-enhance, wide)

EW-Live

Live

Club

I generally keep mine on E-STD most of the time, but depending on the material I sometimes use E-Wide or EW-Live.

Rockbox is definitely not as pretty and refined as the built-in GUI on my Gigabeat, but it gets the job done. Worth it for FLAC.

Here's my unopened blank collection. Please let me know if there's anything rare I would be better off selling than using. All of these came from Minidisco.com and have Japanese Kanji on the packaging (usually by the UPC code, if not on the front), if that means anything.

IMG_0293.jpg

Hey thanks, I am glad that such a site exists. I will check it out.

If you want more pictures for your collection, check out the Internet Archive's record of Minidisco.com. Lots and lots of pics of blank media as well as players, decks, etc.

http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://www.minidisco.com

Minidisco is out of business so I don't think they will mind.

Hey thanks, I am glad that such a site exists. I will check it out.

If you want more pictures for your collection, check out the Internet Archive's record of Minidisco.com. Lots and lots of pics of blank media as well as players, decks, etc.

http://wayback.archi...w.minidisco.com

Minidisco is out of business so I don't think they will mind.

Minidisco gone? Sad :(

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
24 minutes ago, Syndil said:

Pics and video of the Aiwa. Just picked it up from my mom's. Don't have any MDs with me to test. It's slightly dusty but not too bad. It's been stored in the original box and packaging for a very long time.

PXL_20210207_011105915.jpg

PXL_20210207_011115906.jpg

PXL_20210207_011449471.jpg

PXL_20210207_012119838.jpg

Looks nice!

It's actually a friend of mine who is looking for a boombox - MD, of course ;)

I will pass on the info so far to him. I'll need more though - price + shipping, MD working, etc

Cheers!

5 hours ago, Fragileman said:

Hi Syndil,

I'm the friend of Slugbahr. I am interested in your Awia Boombox. I live in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. What is your asking price and how much for postage to me?

Based on what I have seen other tabletop stereos go for, and because this is complete in the original box with packaging, I'm thinking I should price it at $500 US plus shipping. 

Shipping is estimated to be about $141 US to Australia for a large 15lb box.

24 minutes ago, Fragileman said:

Thanks for getting back to me on price but its a fair way off what i can afford to spend. 

I hear ya. I was surprised to see how much these things were going for, and of course the shipping alone is pretty steep. I'll put it up on eBay in a week or two and let the market decide what it's really worth. Maybe it won't go for nearly that much. But of course there's still the shipping.