Is there a PS3 that can play PS2 games?

Rate this question

erpsoftwareleadssingapore

Question

Hi there. I'm considering in getting a PS3 (maybe by finding a way to trade-in my PS2 for it). Still, I'm very much attached to my PS2 games and there are in fact a lot of PS2 games out there I still want to try.

Now I've heard there are PS3s out there that can play PS2 games. Is this true? If so, where can I find one or how do I specify the type I'm looking for. As much as I've been playing with Playstation for over ten years, I'm still not good with more technical terms.

I'd really appreciate some answers. Thank you.

8 answers to this question

The original version of the PS3 has specific hardware/software combination to allow emulation of the PS2. I feel fortunate to own one, I'll likely never get rid of it for just this reason. You'll have to look on eBay or another used source to find one most likely. I don't know how commo0n it is to see them up for sale. Mine came with a 60GB drive, small by to day's standards but more than sufficient for the gaming machine.

The original version of the PS3 has specific hardware/software combination to allow emulation of the PS2. I feel fortunate to own one, I'll likely never get rid of it for just this reason. You'll have to look on eBay or another used source to find one most likely. I don't know how commo0n it is to see them up for sale. Mine came with a 60GB drive, small by to day's standards but more than sufficient for the gaming machine.

Do you know any specific details I can spell out on e-bay (like a model identification number or something) to help me refine my search?

Sorry it took me a couple of days. I dug out the box and also checked out the Wikipedia article on PlayStation 3 models and history here: http://en.wikipedia....i/PlayStation_3

The model I have is the CECHA01 which is also refered to as the 60GB model, it was originally released in November 2006, hard to believe it is that old ... This model and the 20GB CECHBxx units are the only units which had built in hardware PS2 emulation capability. Sony apparently attempted to perform software emulation in later units but it did not work very well and they dropped it completely after a while.

Also, note that the first two NA units I mention here were able to boot to an alternate OS, mainly Linux, which was eliminated with a firmware update a couple of years ago. It looks like eBay has a number of the 60GB units: http://www.ebay.com/...6.c0.m270.l1313

Also, note that the first two NA units I mention here were able to boot to an alternate OS, mainly Linux, which was eliminated with a firmware update a couple of years ago.

This sounds like an interesting saga. Is the firmware update compulsory, maybe automatic (ie the unit will suddenly stop playing all sorts of music, games and generally acts as deauthorized), or will these units you showed on Ebay be actually capable of some of this "retro" compatible stuff?

If I recall, the firmware update routine made specific note of the loss of the functionality and allowed one to not perform the update. Since I had never used it and could run Linux on any number of PCs, I choose to accept the update and agree to the understanding that once updated, there would be no going back.

The update which removed the ability to boot to an alternate OS had no effect on the hardware capabilities, i.e. the ability to natively run PS and PS2 games.

I am sure it is possible to find one of these models which has not been updated and is still capable of the alternate boot capability. You would have to check some version listing to determine what update removed the capability and look for a unit with an older version installed.

It seemed like a cool feature but if I recall, people were really hacking things more than Sony wanted and in their typical control freak manner, they decided to lock it down.

From the above Wikipedia article:

"The original PlayStation 3 also included the ability to install other operating systems,[170] such as Linux.[171] This was not included in the newer slim models and was removed from all older PlayStation 3 consoles with the release of firmware update 3.21 in April 2010. The functionality is now only available to users of original consoles who choose not to update their system software beyond version 3.15.[172]

[170] ^ "Install Other OS". PlayStation 3 User's Guide. Sony Computer Entertainment. 2007. Retrieved 2007-04-25.

[172] ^ Boyes, Emma (2006-11-27). "Yellow Dog Linux launches for PS3". GameSpot. Retrieved 2006-11-30.

[173] ^ Andrew Yoon (2010-03-29). "Linux support dropped from PS3 firmware 3.21". Joystiq. Retrieved 2010-03-29."

The model I have is the CECHA01 which is also refered to as the 60GB model, it was originally released in November 2006, hard to believe it is that old ... This model and the 20GB CECHBxx units are the only units which had built in hardware PS2 emulation capability. Sony apparently attempted to perform software emulation in later units but it did not work very well and they dropped it completely after a while.

Thanks for the names. Although, if my sources are right, I might as well start shopping on E-bay.

Thanks for the additional info too. I've been wondering about how people been turning their PS3s into some sort of alternative PC.