Can PSP be reflashed...?

Rate this question

lxrichbirdxl

Question

Hello,

I'm wondering if the PSP can be reflashed to the original firmware version or something that would allow more 'compatibility'?

Has anyone tried it yet? I heard a friend that his some of his friends had done it before, and the PSP worked fine. But I did not get further details.

Thanks.

Edited by lxrichbirdxl

7 answers to this question

Outside Sony's official firmware, no. If your PSP is version 1.0 or 1.50, you can run homebrew programs (eg. emulators, etc). However, you cannot do it with any firmware later than that. You cannot even downgrade you firmware. Also, newer games will require the newer firmware.

I think they still require you to have GTA: liberty City game. I still don't see any advantage not upgrading your PSP firmware outside emulators. However, what's the point of having a PSP if you don't want to play PSP games? One of my friends was big on emulators, so he kept his PSP's 1.5 firmware. After a while, he got bored, and upgraded immediately to 2.0 to play winning eleven 9.

Ya, I know that...not sure what they did.

Btw, I just saw this 2.5/6 firmware downgrader, untested though. http://www.pspbrew.com/.

Dont try that downgrader, they are fake (well not fake, but dont work and wont for a long time), as currently the way 2.6 works is totally different to 1.5, and works around this:

for 1.5 firmware, the PSP boots, wallah, done, i dont think anything in the IPL is checked to see whether the firmware is correct, as there is the PSP firmware version stored in the IPL, and the Flash0 of the PSP.

In 2.6 firmware, the IPL is encrypted heavily and if the Index.dat of FLASH0 is changed to allow a 1.5 update to run then on the next reboot the PSP will not boot because the IPL knows the PSP is 2.6 yet some haxing has gone on to try and change this to 1.0 so a 1.5 update can be run.. so the PSP doesnt turn on, and you get an expensive paper weight.

Edited by MiG