My MDS-JE500 went belly up.

Rate this topic

Corey A Downs

I've had a MDS-JE500 for about 6 months now, and now it won't record. Every time I try to record I get a "Retry" and then a "Retry Error."

According to www.minidisc.org, the MDS-JE500 had a problem where that happened if you tried to start titling/labeling within 10 seconds of starting to record. My problem usually happens within 2-3 seconds of starting to record and them goes in an endless loop of "Retry" then "Retry Error" splitting into another track every time.

Now.....

A) Can I fix this?

B) Sony told me it would need to be repaired. How much could this cost?

C) (I think this is in the wrong section) Does anyone have a JE520 or any deck in the 6** or 7** section that they sell for under $100?

-Corey

• 5 years later...

I Have a similar problem with mine but on mine it is intermittent so i can still record but some discs it dowsn't like i've tried many discs new sealed ones and it still does it so i don't know how to fix it but i would love to get mine working like new even though i baught it off ebay about 6 months ago and it didn't record when i got it but I have this intermitterent problem now,

sorry for the ramble,

any help would be appreicated.

Lrp55

Seriously, guys don't even consider using 70% Isopropanol. You should use only pure (99% or 100% on the label). I dread to think what is in the 30% in the bottle above.

And it is almost never the head cleaning problem. There are a gazillion things which can cause failure to read. Most common is (gradual) loss of laser power.