Possible fault with TDK media?

Rate this topic

spitfire71

Just recorded some vinyl to a fresh TDK MD-RXG minidisc & went to play it in my MZ-RH1, but it flashes up 'NO DISC'.

Tried the disc back in my home deck & it's fine, also tried it in another portable player and it also displayed 'NO DISC', after another attempt, it plays, but do you think it will play in the MZ-RH1?

Nothing amiss with the plastic enclosure the disc is in, so I am clueless as to why it will not play in this one machine. Could it be possibly a fault during the manufacturing of the TDK media? If so, this will be my first!

Tried another TDK disc & this is fine!

UPDATE:

Recorded another TDK minidisc & this works, so I did another one again and I get the 'NO DISC' error again. Gonna go & try a Maxell minidisc.

UPDATE:

Maxell disc is fine.

opened up a few more sealed TDK minidiscs & some are ok, others give the 'NO DISC' message.

I recall some problems with that particular variety. What it and the only other failures I have ever seen, shared, was that the minidisc is in a semi or fully transparent sleeve. Something about stray light adjustment. What I am not clear is whether the recording DECK has to be fixed, or the portable. Probably the deck - but they don't call it that in the manual. The RH1 has a "stray light adjustment" as part of the normal self-servicing in TEST mode. (interestingly, to us service mode freaks, this adjustment is only mentioned in passing as something that takes place AFTER all the regular tests have been completed in automatic mode). However it could still be the way the disk was recorded that is the problem.

What deck?

Has anyone adjusted or serviced this RH1?

I only ever saw this problem on my in-car changer - and this was an MDLP (LP2) disk made on a deck (JE640 I think).

I make all my recordings on my home deck: a Denon DMD-1000. This plays them back just fine as far as I know, not tried the last two discs via playback on it, but they BOTH fail to play on my two portables, the MZ-RH1 and an earlier Sony player, the MZ-E25.

There can't be anything wrong with any of my machines as they ALL play different brand discs perfectly. These TDK discs are the black ones with a small window in them, the disc looks a golden colour from the top. Wouldn't be bronzing would it?

I don't think the MZ-RH1 has ever been touched by anyone .

Yeah looks like it's the stray light adjustment or however it's called on the DMD-1000. To verify, just use a black marker on the transparent part so it all looks black. I make no warranty as to whether the marker will eventually come off on your portable but I don't think that's a big worry for one little test.

If you cannae be bothered tae fix't (would mean a trip to Jim Hoggarth by the deck at least), put that type of disk to one side.

Cheers

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...