MZ-NH900 will not shut down - advice please

Rate this topic

MusicBringer

Hello Folks, I still use my MZ-NH900.

Trouble is I cannot switch it off.

By that I mean when I need to turn it off the Cancel button no longer turns the machine off.

Any ideas please.

Thanks,

Link to remind you what they look like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MZ-NH900-Silver-Hi-MiniDisc-Walkman/dp/B0001ZN768/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Pressing cancel only supposed to set the machine charging from power adapter.

Normally should turn off as soon as doing nothing for a minute or two.

If you mean that it hangs, writing the TOC for example, then it needs adjusting (or worst case, the head replacing).

Normally should turn off as soon as doing nothing for a minute or two.

Yeah, but it doesn't

If you mean that it hangs, writing the TOC for example, then it needs adjusting (or worst case, the head replacing).

No. It doesn't hang. It simply continues to play. Nothing I press will stop the play and no button will shut it down.

If that includes using a remote, then you have got a weird one. Are you sure you didn't leave it in Service Mode or summat?

If it works fine with the remote, you have got a "power-to-the-buttons" problem. This is sometimes fixed by cleaning contacts, but more usually by adjusting the overall power to the unit. Certainly for my NH900 the screen was v dim when I first got it. If you can do it, it's the very first item in the Power Adjust sequence, I think.

This might be a project for Jim Hoggarth who lives in Bradford. He has a very reasonable charge for servicing.

My experience (and memory, don't kill me if I got it wrong) was it's the very first (or one of the ones near the top) of the adjustments on page 18 of the service manual which you can find here or at minidisc.org.

If your screen on the machine is very dim (maybe you got used to it!!!) that's another indication I may be correct.

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old one here, but I just purchased an NH900 from Ebay, The unit is in excellent shape and seems well cared for, but I am having a similar issue. Sometimes the stop button registers skip track, sometimes stop, and other times nothing at all. Were you ever able to get it fixed?

The "command" read by CPU from the buttons are interpreted by changes in resistance.

If the contacts are bad, or if the power supply is not properly delivering the right voltage to the mainboard, this is the kind of issue you will experience.

It needs cleaning and servicing.

And in the interim (until you can arrange or perform that yourself), try to get a sidecar battery holder and use an real alkaline AA in it (not a rechargeable).

Also you may have better luck using the unit with mains charger plugged in (I understand that may not suit your use case).

Thank you Inquisitor I appreciate the information! I am hoping at some point soon to contact Jim Hoggarth (Hoping he really is "back") and do repairs on my primary unit so I might ask him about it then. I have used compressed air to blow out the unit and will be relying heavily on the Pause button and the remote. The mains charger doesn't bother me at all because I primarily use these at work when at my desk.

Thanks again!