Don't know what to do :S

Rate this topic

Guest Talisin

Guest Talisin

Hi to everyone!

I come here to ask for your help. Well, I know actually what I'm gonna ask is something I must decide to, since is a personal thing, but maybe hearing (reading) your opinions will help me.

My concern is 'bout which atrac codec use. Maybe I have to explain a little more before ask my question: At last, after a loooooong time, I have all my music ready to be transfered to MD. I mean, I have lots of MDs with music, since is my daily format, but all in chaotic order, with albums repeated, etc. and now I have put in order all my cds, casettes, music files, etc to record MDs, print covers, etc.

I always thought to record in SP mode via optical output from my computer or from a DVD player, so I could hear my MDS in my net-MD units as in my Hi-MD units, and convert my favourite songs or albums to atrac3+ 256 in order to fill my Hi-MD discs for journeys and so. But reading these days older and not so older posts here I'm hesitating between proceding this way or choose another: all my music to atrac3+ 352 codec. I believe this codec is better for quality music, but can't use it in my net-md recorders.

So here comes my question: is really a3+ 352 so worthing over sp to take the second path? If so, what do you think I could do with my net-md units? Selling them is out of question, since they were my first units and have sentimental strenght to me, but maybe some of you could give me (and others) smart and innovative ideas for using it.

Or maybe I must stand in my first way and use sp as main format?. If so, do you think qhimd linux software will ever allow to transfer sp files from pc to md and back through usb (without a RH1)? I have read what this software can do now, and have read sp transfers from MD to PC are only analogue ones, but don't know if there is technical possibility to make this transfer digital someday.

I have to add that MD is my main (and almost only) way to hear music this days, since I live in a very small apartment, without space to a HI-Fi, and using my laptop to hear music is a mess (again, space problem), so, at home, I use my MD units joined to a couple of small but good quality speakers. And when I'm out, at leat for now, only use MD (I'm starting to hink to buy an ipod touch, not for music, but other concerns, but if I do it, maybe could use it outside so not having to carry two gadgets, since when I hear music outside, I'm not in quier rooms).

Well, I know these are very personal choices, and even have made blind tries between sp and 352, but still can't choose, and also my net-md units fate is making me hesitate. I hope, at least, my question will start an interesting conversation.

Thanks a lot in advance, and best wishes to all of you.

PS: as always, sorry for my english XD

I suppose you will record your favorite songs from original LPs or CDs

a classic 80mn MD formatted in Hi-MD will allow you to record

- 1h35' in 352kbps = a better quality sound but only plus 15' of music

- 2h20' in 256kbps = a small lack in quality sound (I can't hear any difference from a SP recording) but a huge gain in total recording time

For sure, you will lose compatibilty with Net-MD units.

As it is to listen to music with your Hi-MD unit outside your appartement, why not.

It is more natural to use a 1Go Hi-MD disc with a Hi-MD unit, total recording time is important

- 5h30' in 352kbps

- 7h55' in 256kbps

If you don't have a MZ-RH1, no way to upload your music from your SP recordings. I don't know about Linux and any possibility to upload SP recordings with a Net-MD unit.

Where are you living ?

Guest Talisin

Hi PhilippeC. First of all, thanks for your answer. :D

Actually, recording my favorite songs is equal (in a lot of albums) to record all songs from these albums (I choose albums sooooooo minuciosly :P ).

So you take the atrac3plus path, don't you? Any innovative advice about what to do with net-md units? :P

Do you think 256 is close enough to 352 in sound quality so bump in space is worth? I mean, I have made some blind tests, but really didn't get absolute results. My main concern is, since they were just 3 or 4 tests, with a more long term music hearing, I will notice differences. If answer to my question is yes, then, as you say, I will gain a lot of space, so I could record in each 80 minutes Md not only an album, but also (as I intended at first time) live versions and the same.

Oh, and I live in Malaga, Spain (I'm from Seville, also Spain). You're from France, aren't you?

just to inject my $0.02 worth of advice, which you can easily disregard.

The most compatible format of all is LP2. This works on all NetMD players, and can be used on HiMD (you get 15 or 16 hours on a single HiMD 1GB disk). It is still 24-bit ATRAC so you get most of the benefits of SP with the additional enhancements of Type-S on all HiMD units (and some NetMD units) for playback, which IMHO improves the sound so much you really don't notice a lot of difference (yes there is SOME difference) from ordinary SP.

Except for LIVE recordings I would choose this format. For HiMD conversion from CD's I typically convert to AAL 256kbps) which can convert to anything with little degradation, but usually for simplicity I simply transfer to HiMD - without further bitrate converting. This leaves the :lossless: part behind (on the PC) and gives you ordinary 256kbps (Hi-SP) on the MD.

All the formats are 24-bit, except when you convert to WAV on the PC from one of the atrac formats. For SP, this conversion is OK. For the other formats, I feel it tends to be a bit noticeable in the final result.

Finally, Sony has somehow figured out MP3 conversion (with their MP3CONVERSION.EXE tool) that as long as you always choose 256kbps for the MP3, the results are quite decent. I just converted a bunch of files for my dad, and was pleasantly surprised how good the MP3 results were. Most MP3s however are not nearly that good. The key is to keep a high bitrate, even for 66 and 132 kbps ATRAC sources.

Guest Talisin

HI Stephen. Dont worry, your 2cents always seem interesting to me :D

You have put me out with your opinion: I hadn't even considered lp2. When I buyed my first md unit, a N710, I tried it, but didn't satisfied me. With heavy metal songs, bass sounded with no strength, and with more sweet sounds, Loreena McKennitt albums, for example, it sounded...don't know how to say it...maybe restricted? As if something was missed from the sound. So my problem with lp2 wasn't artifacts everybody talk about, but something more...personal? Sorry if my english is not good enough to express me better. But maybe is something I was doing wrong if you talk about it being close to sp. Any advice to try it in the right way?

What disturb me is you reccommend to me using lp2 but you say you use aal256. Do you use both or just the second one?. I have read you in other threads on the aal theme, but something still isn't clear to me: if you rip a cd, for example, to aal256, what you get to transfer to a Hi-MD is the 256 part, so lossless section is just for play from pc, of is it also useful for reencoding to another bitrate?.

Oh, and on mp3...I think I have almost no one of them, since my music is on cassettes, CDs or flac files, but you've interested me: that mp3 conversion tool you talk about, is part of sonicstage? Is the service this software uses when you add to library a mp3 and convert it to atrac format? Or is a totally apart software?.

On 24 bits atrac...sorry, my knowledge about sound is low, so don't know what you're talking about :S

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help.

my problem with lp2 wasn't artifacts everybody talk about, but something more...personal? Sorry if my english is not good enough to express me better. But maybe is something I was doing wrong if you talk about it being close to sp. Any advice to try it in the right way?

I would try Simple Burner, for a start. And remember to use Type-S playback :) I also initially rejected LP2 but that was because I went about it the wrong way. I ripped to WAV and then converted. This tends to produce garbage.

What disturb me is you reccommend to me using lp2 but you say you use aal256. Do you use both or just the second one?

Sorry I wasn't clear. I mean that lp2 is the most compatible playback format. But I rip to AAL on the hard disk, which if need be can be converted to LP2 or any other format.

. I have read you in other threads on the aal theme, but something still isn't clear to me: if you rip a cd, for example, to aal256, what you get to transfer to a Hi-MD is the 256 part, so lossless section is just for play from pc, of is it also useful for reencoding to another bitrate?
The PC never plays back the lossless part. The only point of it is for when you want to convert to some other format, or maybe edit it (I am not certain, but I assume Sound Forge WILL use the lossless part to rebuild the internal wave when you edit one of these files).

Oh, and on mp3...I think I have almost no one of them, since my music is on cassettes, CDs or flac files, but you've interested me: that mp3 conversion tool you talk about, is part of sonicstage? Is the service this software uses when you add to library a mp3 and convert it to atrac format? Or is a totally apart software?
It's a standalone program from Sony, though I have a strong suspicion SonicStage needs to be installed before you run it. Once it is run, of course the MP3 files are totally standard and can be used anywhere.

On 24 bits atrac...sorry, my knowledge about sound is low, so don't know what you're talking about :S
The real "secret" of ATRAC is that it is in many ways BETTER than standard 16bit 44.1Khz PCM (CD format) because it actually has 24-bit resolution on all samples, even at the lowest data rate. It does this by making the magnitude a floating (instead of fixed) point number. This will tend to avoid many of the weird artifacts in other formats (have you ever tried converting MP3 back to ATRAC?).

I would get Sonic Stage running on that laptop and just use LP2. You probably won't be able to tell any difference with the speaker setup you have. I find Sonic Stage burns very, very good on protables used that way and with headphones. In fact I had to play the LP2 dics on my large home stereo to notice any difference. I rip all my CD's into wav files, then I can trancode to anything from those. The only drawback being not having any tags. I do use AAL for some things and it's a great codec: tags; can be uncompressed to wav with no loss, for use by other programs, space savings.

Let me know what you decide on, I think if you take the time to tag the files in Sonic Stage (and use it for playback) it is an easy way to burn MiniDiscs. There are dynamic playlists that are quite powerful and the artist link feature is what keeps me using it daily.

Guest Talisin

Answering one by one, that my mind is not too well :P.

Paperclip: I have already installed sonicstage in my laptop :D Tags aren't a problem, since I'm used to fix them everytime I convert an album, and also Dinamic playlist are in my weponry XD My concern is with quality. The way you say you rip and convert is the same I usually take (first to wav, then to atrac) but I have read, not only from sfbp, that converting tracks with this system doesn't give good quality songs.

Sfbp: Simpleburner works under windows 7 or is necessary to have a xp virtual machine?. Also, this'd imply to burn flac album to cd first and then rip with Simpleburner, wouldn't it?. About aal, thanks for clarification, I had understood it the opposite way. So you have all your songs in a hard disk and transfer or convert it when you need, aren't you? I was thinking to pass the hard disk files, just keeping my CDs and . And you have caught me with that mp3conversion tool: I always used hi-md renderer for doing this, but in W7 it gives me problems. I have to try it.

Oh, and thanks a lot for 24 bits explanation. Does that means that with a lower bitrate songs sounds better in atrac than with a higher bitrate in mo3 or other formats?.

I think my main concern now is to try again lp2 and then choose between aal256 and lp2/sp (depending of results I get). Thanks a lot.

The myth that Sonic Stage cannot correctly convert wav files is simply that. A myth. I do it all the time and it works great. I don't really know how that myth got started.

I have my CD collection on a HDD and convert to whatever format I need. I use LAME 3.98 to make mp3 files at the same time as the CD is ripped, mostly for listening on computers that don't have all my favorite software. I use wav or some form of ATRAC for my playback. If you want quality, I suggest you use LAME instead of Sony's MP3 tool.

The myth that Sonic Stage cannot correctly convert wav files is simply that. A myth. I do it all the time and it works great. I don't really know how that myth got started.

I take 100% responsibility. I (like, it seems many others here) tried LP2 and LP4 very early on in the game and found the results were awful. I did so by importing a WAV from a CD, and then downconverting it. In the end I concluded it must be the import step which was at fault, for whatever reason.

There's a good reason that I believe this may be a defective process. I think that CD playback, and also ripping direct to ATRAC actually manage to recover more than the nominal 16 bits on an audio CD. We have read for 25 years about oversampling which effectively gives you 18, 20 or even more bits of resolution with a good player, or an effective ripper.

I totally agree that if one has GOOD wav files (such as those generated by EAC, when properly configured) then they can be downconverted quite well. But I think you can see that a 16-bit file on disk might not downconvert to a low rate 24-bit format (ATRAC) as well as direct ripping to that same format.

YMMV.

A ripping program doesn't even sample a signal, it just reads data. Your claim that a 16 bit file might not compress to a low bit rate codec defies all logic really. And (on a undamaged) CD the output can and usually is, bit for bit exact between EAC and Sonic Stage. What do you think Sonic Stage is using to creat the ATRAC file? It's reading 16 bit data. If you compare 16 & 24 bit wav files compressed with ATRAC, you will find their files sizes are exactly the same.

I've done the testing to proof the results. I don't know why you want to spread mis-information on a hobbyist website like this?

Before we get to name-calling, please stop and consider why as early as 1985 CD player manufacturers were advertising 20-bit oversampling......... (well, actually 16x oversampling, i.e 16 + 4 = 20 bits)

My impression of the oversampling technique (and it may well apply to different techniques for ripping the music off a CD) is that you end up with proper dithering of those values which lie "between" two digitally-encodable values, and that the effect is to "anti-alias" the sounds, so there are no interfering harmonics. Musicians will tell you that all kinds of notes that are never played make up the timbre of an instrument. CD's start to sound natural (and, incidentally to compress well) when the anti-aliasing (which is incidentally used in graphics processing systems ubiquitously) is applied, and the false harmonics cancel out.

As I said, my $.02 - I can't prove most of this, and I don't have a proper background in sound engineering. But I definitely know it's possible to get a perfectly good-sounding wav file which absolutely refuses to compress properly, using SonicStage as the initial ripper. I presume this is what Sony is referring to when they talk about "fast" or "high quality" ripping speeds for their other codecs. Interestingly they don't offer that option (analogous to the oversampling CD players) for Sonic Stage's WAV extraction.

Stephen

I don't know what you mean by name-calling unless you are setting up an ad hominem argument?

Ripping just doesn't oversample anything, it just reads the data on the disc.

Dithering only applies when reducing word lenght which makes no sense in your example of increasing word lenght.

Unsupported claims do nothing to further the hobby. Post the results, methods and repeatability like I've done.

Ripping just doesn't oversample anything, it just reads the data on the disc.

I'm not sure you are right. Otherwise why would Sony specify different speeds of ripping ("fast" vs "high-quality") for some of its codecs? That word "just" is always a red rag to this particular bull.

And why should one not think that oversampling on a CD player/reader is not matched by the same thing in the digital domain?

What data do you think the codec uses? If it's from a CD, it's a 16 bit wav file. It's that simple. A CD player putting out an analog signal is a wholly different animal. Oversampling while ripping would defeat the purpose, how could it compare the data it's reading for accuracy if it changes it from what is on the disc?

I'm wholly unaware of Sonic Stage having any speed or quality options in converting a wav file to ATRAC (or importing it directly in wav format from a disc) and that is what the OP is trying to do. Why do you insist on making it so hard when there is a simple solution? Again, post your results. Maybe we can figure out why you have a problem and I don't.

My guess is the different options for ripping speed in SonicStage may have to do with error correction.

I would have to search around for the specifics, but from memory this is how I understand it. The red book standard for audio cd's has less inherent error correction information than e.g. data cd's. That's why a ripped cd above a certain length can not be burned back to a cdr as a data file (.wav). The cd data format uses more room for error correction (digital data has to be read back bit perfect, obviously), so the usable size is less.

A cd player during playback will usually misread some samples, but a single wrong sample (or even a few close together) will hardly be audible once converted to the analog signal. (The error rate during reading may be one of the differences between high and low quality cd players, although laser technology is now so evolved that even cheap players should do pretty good.)

When ripping a cd on the computer, you can do this high speed, i.e. read just once and don't care about the misread samples, or you can do this more accurate, e.g. by reading twice and comparing the two data streams, or computing a checksum and comparing this to a database (AccurateRip).

post-101758-0-26133800-1336133869.jpg

Erik, if you're saying that Sony does (or did) the first when doing a normal Rip of CD->WAV with SonicStage (read fast and don't care about the error correction), I'd be inclined to believe you.

If, OTOH paperclip is saying that SS now does the second way, and can prove that the rip is correct and matches EAC, then I will believe him.

Could it be that when I originally got turned off to LP2 that the ripper in SS was defective and they later fixed it?

If so, I'm willing to eat humble pie and publish a retraction. But I saw what I saw, and there has to be an explanation, even if we haven't (yet) found it. And others have declared themselves similarly fed up with MDLP.

It's even possible, isn't it. that this was the reason that Sony "lost" the MP3/Ipud comparison wars 8-10 years back - because someone with left-brain thinking decided (just as I did, to be fair) that the "level playing field" way was to start by ripping the CD directly to WAV file and then rip to different rates of ATRAC compression. Of course that explanation only works if the testers used SS ripper to rip for the sound files being used to test to convert to ATRAC, but some other ripper for the files being converted to MP3.

What I *do* recall was that originally the ripping speed was really fast. I *was* subsequently puzzled by slower ripping on a later version of SS.

So it is indeed possible that this artifact only existed in 4.0 and/or 4.2 SonicStage (or versions even earlier than that), and is now gone. I think I recall one of those two, but I don't remember which.

Stephen

post-101758-0-26133800-1336133869_thumb.

Putting aside Codec questions - I have decided to focus on Net MD or Standard MD units because of reliability, cost and availability (in the U.S., at least). There are very few HiMD units available, and the ones that are available are expensive. i also think that older units are more reliable. At one point I own all of the first-generation HiMD units - the only one that is still fully functioning is the MZ-NH1. All of my Net MD and Standard MD units are still functioning, even though they are all older, and have had much more use. And finally - you can buy Net MD and Standard MD units (mostly used, but in very good condition) beginning at 25 U.S. dollars on eBay.

Guest Talisin

Hi guys. Sorry, my internet connection was out along some days. And please, relax, this was a thread to ask for opinions, not for doing you fighting :S

Sorry, my knowledge is too short for many of the things you're talking about, but overall, I can understand both of you, Paperclip and Sfbp. I always thought if I rip to wav, since all is digital, I would have a exact copy. But also it's true I have read a lot of people talking 'bout sonicstage ripping is not good, so maybe the problem is not with digital ripping and the same, but with the sonicstage ripping software, is it? And what Eriktous says also sounds right to me: maybe normal or fast ripping is meant for error correction.

Don't know, but I think your three thoughts haven't to be each other apart, but join them to have a complete image of the problem.

What is still in darkness to me is that of 24 bits on MD and 16 bits on cd. Could anyone explain it to me, please?

And mmp64: since you say you use (only) netMD, what codec do you use? lp2 or sp? Also, I have some netMD units and some Hi-MD units, and haven't had concerns more with ones than with others: my N710 had button problems, and also my RH-10. Just for my knowledge: which kind of problems has HI-MD units? (of course, price is better for net-md, and - for me - a lot of net-md units are better looking than HI-md ones).

Thanks a lot, and please, don't fight!

Hi. I actually have never had any problems with my Standard and Net MD units. All are still fully functioning. On my HI-MD units - on my 900, the battery expanded because it overcharged. Others have had this problem. The result was it will no longer fully charge any battery so is basically useless as a portable device. The jog dial on my 600 no longer works, and the remote on my 800 stopped working.

As far as Codec - when I make an MD now, I do it real-time on a deck, hooked up to a CD player, using SP. Partly this is because my use of MD is now primarily at home, for careful listening. I believe real-time SP is the best sounding. I also lost my ATRAC library a while ago (crashed hard drive), and shortly after that switched back to Mac.

Going back a bit in time, I did make extensive use of LP2 - primarily ripped using Simple Burner. It is very nice and convenient, but not as nice as SP of course.

My HI-MD library was almost all HiSP, and I still have all of those discs. I also went through a stage where I ripped critical CDs at 352k. 352k on my NH1 us pretty impressive.

There is no ripping speed option for wav files. Furthermore after some testing this weekend, both encoding options for AAL produce an almost bit perfect copy. (Files ripped from CD to AAL 256kbps, both Normal & High then extracted to wav files, then compared with an EAC rip) Do some testing of your own, I doubt you will be able to hear any difference as the files are practically identical. I don't get why there is still any debate, I've spent considerable time trying to get good data to compare, I don't understand why it is so easily overlooked for unsubstantiated claims and superstition. But hey be my guest.

I'd address the 24 bit vs.16 thing but there is even more superstition surrounding that question and I'm sure any data illustrating that subject will received in the same way, so I"m not going to bother. That is a simple math problem and there no way MD is writing data to a disc at differing bit depths. I'll gladly read what's posted on the subject but do not wish to join that debate after this one.

Guest Talisin

Hi everyone.

Again, thanks a lot to all of you for your help.

After rereading yesterday several times your answers, I took a choice: since I'm a math teacher in highschool and now I'm showing my students statistical subject, I "use" them today for a small experiment:

I have recorded three songs: Throne Room and Finale (from Star Wars ost), Greensleeves (by Loreena McKennitt) and Hail and Kill (by Manowar). All of them was recorded in four brand new MDs (Maxell Twinkle 80 color series). First in Hi-Sp through optical connection (option A). Second in Sp mode (optical again) (option B), Third in lp2 mode from a wav ripped (from a cd) by SonicStage (option C). And finally, in lp2 mode from a Aal 256 ripped cd (by SonicStage) (option D). All in SonicStage 4.3 ultimate version.

Then, I played them randomly in my RH10 joined to a 5.1 system we have in my school. I repeated the experiment with two groups of 26 students between 13 and 15 years. Also, I ask my 2 music subject teachers mates to hear the songs.

Well, I have finished to calculate results now, and what I have got is, at least, curious:

40% of first group set this order (best sound to worst sound): B, A, D, C

35% of first group set this order: B, D, A, C

24% of first group: A, B, D, C

1% of first group: couldn't choice.

39% of second group: B, D, A, C.

35% of second group: A, B, D, C.

25% of second group: B, A, D, C.

1% of second group: couldn't choice.

And teachers choice: B, A and D a draw, and C, with B sounding very very similar to A and D, but just a bit better.

I know this isn't a perfect experiment, but anyway, stats are indeed curious. Oh, and I also participate in the experiment, and have to say that Sp sound best for me, but lp2 from Aal ripped cd sounds very similar, and too much better than a lp2 from wav ripped :S

I still don't know why is this way, since, as paperclip says, all are digital ripped, so they should be perfect copies, but my ears, and my students and mates ones says another thing :S

Finally, I have chosed to take the lp2 (from aal) path, since sounds very well for me, and is compatible with Hi-Md and Net-Md units (also, lp2 in a HI-MD disk allows for a gigantic number of albums for journeys ;) ).

Thanks a lot to all of you, and hope this little experiment was useful to someone :D

PS: paperclip, from your words, I'm not gonna ask more about 16-24 bits, since it sounds as a weird thing for my not too much musical mind :D

That is an interesting test, thanks for sharing your work. I find things like these interesting. It seems that SP might be pretty hard to beat and SS LP2 rated dead last. I don't know if there is any statistically valid conclusions to be drawn and in the end it's always best to let your ears be judge. I'm going to have to do some testing of my own. I'd like to see if I can tell any difference in SS LP2 vs. hardware encoded LP2 and AAL (256) vs. wav.

There is something special about Hi-SP if is transcoded twice (to LP2) and sounds better than SS LP from wav. I found LP4 transcoded (in Sound Forge)from Hi-SP (real-time, optical) to sound more accurate and it made no sense to me at all.

That's my boy! CD->WAV->LP2 really really doesn't work.

Clearly SP is the winner. But I and others already made the judgement that 80m often isn't enough and the compromise we do not object to is to get double the space on the same disk at a slight loss of quality. (and as u mention, LP2 on a HiMD formatted disk gets almost double THAT amount of space, because LP2 is already wasting about 20% of the data on disk for reasons of compatibility with machines that cannot even play it!!!). Also SP cannot go via computer, so is time-consuming to make.

I completely concur that AAL is the storage of choice and that (from my limited experience) it converts well to all useful (and useable) formats. Interestingly, did you use AAL/256 or AAL 132? When I found that AAL/256 gave good LP2 output, I stopped worrying about AAL/132, on the grounds that IF i needed to generate Hi-SP (256K) this would be minimal conversion from AAL/256 (just throw away the lossless part).

Stephen

PS no need to ask about 24-bits, because I will go on telling about it until someone contradicts me :) The reason that MD sounds so good at low bit rates is PRECISELY that it is a 24-bit format. This means (I think) that very loud and very quiet sounds are properly rendered without any mathematical errors from fixed-point rounding (remember CD is a fixed point format, whereas ATRAC is a floating point format).

@Talisin: I know it's a lot of work but I'd be interested to see the results of the test just using various forms of LP2 (hardware encoded, NetMD download via Sound Forge, Sonic Stage via wav and Sonic Stage via AAL). I can do the testing myself, I just thought with your large group of listeners, the results would be more interesting.

Guest Talisin

Hi guys. I'm glad my test is worth for you :D

I promise tomorrow I'll answer you more in depth, but now here is too late and need to sleep :)

Oh, but Paperclip, of course I'll do another test. Tomorrow we will talk all of us about how to do it.

Good night!!

SP is hardly "clearly" anything. In fact, 39% of listeners prefer LP2 (via AAL) over SP.

Not true. Please re-read his results.

He used AAL @ 256, Do you even read a whole post before letting your ego out?
I would have said your compulsive need to attack me is proof of your ego's needs. Of course I misread it, sorry for that. I was more concerned with the board chewing up my posts and spitting them out TBH.

MD doesn't write at varying bit depths, that was the point I made.
Actually that's effectively exactly what it does. By allowing different portions of the spectrum to use up more (or less) bits in any given sample, depending on the composition of the sounds making up the sample. The difference between ATRAC and VBR MP3 is that the latter is variable in the time domain; the former is variable in the frequency domain. I think (feel free to explain it better than I have; my grasp of the real maths is tangential at best - probably OP will explain it better than you or I).

Let's (to use your phrase) give the ad hominem stuff a rest. Please.

@ Talisin. Thanks for doing that. This is just a hobby so yeah, get some sleep and have a life beyond this, there is always time and I'm in no hurry.

@SFBP:

I made a mistake, I should have included the Hi- before SP.

I never attacked you, I did question your conclusions and the data used to make them. Comment's like "That's my boy! CD->WAV->LP2 really really doesn't work." shows your ego over-rides your objectivity. That is not even close to an ad hominmen attack. I expected more from a moderator and if I bother you move along and quit mucking up this thread. I'm trying learn something and you are getting in the way.

Now that I've demonstrated Sonic Stage ripping is not the problem in obtaining good LP2, I can look at the conversion step. Ripping and compression are two different things.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well guys, another test? What do you want I asked my students about? Which formats shall we try?

Hi Talisin, your experiment is fascinating reading.

I myself have recently done several comparisons of analogue and digital recordings of mp3's in SP versus LP2 (with a Sony MZ-R900 portable recorder), like a lot of your students I found SP to be noticeably clearer with LP2 really good but lacking some detail and a bit "muddy".

As paperclip said I would really like to read your students analysis of LP2 with respect to analogue versus digital recording and SonicStage LP2 versus Hardware LP2 recording.