Don't know what to do :S

Rate this topic

Guest Talisin

I am able to encode at this rate in SonicStage, I just recall that I could never get the files to transfer onto an MD formatted as HiMD. I can try it again to see if I have any luck. At the time I last tried I think I decided it was not possible.

You're right (of course - why would I doubt someone with your experience?). I just tried both, and it seems that ATRAC3+ 128kbps simply doesn't want to live on an MD.

The closest comparison then, would be to use the A1000/1200/3000 which should accept all rates and compare the playback of the ATRAC file. Mind you, playing back from the computer should be just fine, too.

PS I recall Avrin poking around with bitrates in SonicStage - maybe there's something along those lines that can be done. Probably the HiMD disk will play them, but SonicStage doesnt transfer them.

Stephen,

I tried to convert a few files to 128Kbps ATRAC3plus and transfer them to my HD5 and I can't seem to get them to transfer. I also remember a conversation a while back where you and Arvin were discussing some tweaks to SS Connect player to get it to transfer different bit rates.

Isn't ATRAC3plus all done in software on a DSP in a HiMD player? If so, it may be possible that units were never programmed to process 128Kbps. 192 seems like the only rate between 64 and 256 which I can transfer.

I wonder if one of the newer flash devices such as the ones you mention can handle the middle bit rate ATRAC3plus files.

I'd be mildly surprised if this was NOT one of the things that the Linux Minidisc project can handle (at least in principle). However I am not sure where they are on the ability to write discs.....

For HiMD it should be exactly just a question of writing the correct format to the USB mass storage device (and a couple of overhead things required by the disc setup such as encryption!). For NWZ-A1200 it should be no problem. I will try ASAP.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Talisin

Hi guys!!!

I'm very sorry for not answering so long time ago.

First, we have troubles in my highschool at the academic year end (besides the usual ones as final exams, califications, etc).

And after that, I have had troubles in my family with illness. Luckily, it's all ok now, but they hav had me apart of almost anything during this time.

Now I'm back :D

Well, sadly, as the academic year has finished, I can't do the test now, but I think we must design one during this summer and I'll do it with my students next year. This way, at least, we have time to design a good one :D

On other concerns, you can see where q-himd transfer is now here: https://wiki.physik.fu-berlin.de/linux-minidisc/doku.php (look at Status title).

• 3 months later...

Very interesting thread and would like to comment on a few topics, as I want too consolidate my music from various sources for a long term, space saving way for the broadest compatibilty on all my MD units. I have home and portable units and a few Net-MD anda Hi-MD unit.

From what I have read so far, I can only give my opinion, and I am willing to be corrected when I am wrong. But there seems to be a "hole" that needs to be filled in. There are so many factors that haven't been addressed, such as what happens to all the conversions affecting the ATRAC scheme. How does the end result sound noticebly different due to all the "molestation" of the bits as it travels from the source to the end product. Does the psycoacoustic properties alter that much and why?

We all are aware that any time you convert, no matter how meticulously you are, something does happen. This we know. We all seek out the answer. But nothing so far has been mentioned about all the factors involved. There are so many ways things can go awry. Am I wrong on bringing up this topic? Is something not being addressed?

I do, however, acknowledge the tests so far as valid. The results state that. I'd like to see more testing done. I am curious as to further results.

So far I have been happy transferring directly to my home unit using LP2 via optical digital input, as this is the most compatible with "decent" sound quality and some space saving to boot.

P.S. When I do transfer using iTunes [MP3] I always set the IMPORT SETTINGS as in the attachment. I find a great deal of difference between NORMAL and JOINT in the "stereo mode". I have also imported at 256 and then converted to 128 (2:1 ratio) while saving to iTunes and it sounds better than a straight conversion to 128. Hmmmm.....

I have not enough experience about SonicStage at all to comment, but am taking in all to better my understanding. I use a Mac and so far it's not feasible to even think about that at this point.

iTunes Import Settings.tiff

• 2 years later...

I am able to encode at this rate in SonicStage, I just recall that I could never get the files to transfer onto an MD formatted as HiMD. I can try it again to see if I have any luck. At the time I last tried I think I decided it was not possible.

I have to confess I don't use SonicStage much but after a purchase of a CD (another rare event) then I wanted to record the CD onto a minidisc. I don't have a CD player anymore so I have to use SS. However when it comes to import a CD then my head spins with all the options available. After reading this topic I decided to import the CD using AAL 256. As I'm currently using an MZ-R910 as my main portable then I needed to transfer using NETMD. However when I tried to transfer I got an error during the transfer (during the first two tracks).

So as a test I reformatted the disc as HiMD and re-attempted the transfer. This time there was no issue.

I then decided to use another disc and tried to transfer again using NETMD. I was going to modify the formate/bitrate options but then decided to try again. This time it transferred fine without issue.

So is this related to the issue experienced here? Thanks.