Mix md<->md. Possible ?

Rate this topic

fkkdk

Hi all,

I'm slowly getting back into using my mini disc equipment again.

A Sony NH1 that I've not used much, my Sharp MT270, my great sounding Sony JB-980 and my trusted bookshelf Sony CMT-M333NT.

Like so many others, I was fascinated by the whole iPod / Wireless thing and over the years I neglected and forgot my MD equipment. Then I had some very annoying experiences with the iPod / iTunes eco-system and it came to my mind that I could try and use my MD equipment again.

I become interested in the idea of doing my MD 'stuff' editing etc. without using a computer.

Do decks / bookshelfs or other MD equipment exist that lets you copy / move tracks from one MD to another ??

Michael

If you talk about a perfect digital copy, only some professionnal decks like two MDS-B5 together do that.

Or the double-MD deck Sony MDS-W1 (rare and expensive ~ 250€ in Europe).

In Vietnam, my friend phamcu (member of this forum) have 4 or 5 of this unit and sell them for 110€.

http://www.5giay.vn/17-thiet-bi-dien-dien-tu/3360572-ban-dau-md-desk-thu-phat-hoac-lam-da-va-cac-dich-vu-lien-quan-toi-minidisc.html

I make MD > MD mixes sometimes, between decks, in the digital realm. However, everything goes through an SCMS stripper, so that's not a problem for me. If you're referring to SCMS-protected MDs, between MD units, digitally, then an SCMS stripper is needed, given the units you have. Most MD units obey SCMS. There are a few "pro" types that don't and the MDS-W1, as PhilippeC notes, but in general it's going to be difficult to make those MD > MD digital mixes.

One way around this is to use the analog inputs to the deck you're copying to. Of course, then you have watch your rec. levels, but other than that it will work.

FWIW, I cannot tell the difference between a copy of an MD from the original MD. I think it may take a few generations of copying before audible differences become apparent.

The MDS-W1 may be the only MD unit that actually lets you Move tracks. Rare everywhere, this unit might turn up somewhat more often in Europe than here in the U.S.

An example of a currently available SCMS stripper is the Behringer Ultramatch Pro 2496. This unit does a lot more than strip SCMS. One of these, or something else you might be able to find on Ebay, probably is the most economical solution for digital MD > MD copies. If you look into this further, just make sure that track marks are preserved.

I see you are in Denmark. Given your location and also your proximity to Germany, you may be able to find an SCMS-killing device or an MDS-W1 more easily than here in the U.S.

Good Luck!

Another thing is that if you can get your files in whatever form onto the PC, the amazing Sound Forge 9 supports all the ATRAC formats as a matter of course, and you can do it all digitally. Even the LP2 files (which, it so happens, are uploaded bit perfect via the RH1) can be edited without direct conversion. But I see you don't want to get into computers - just letting you know it's there.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also record digitally from one of your decks to another if the source disc was originally recorded from an analogue source as SCMS only protects second the second digital generation. For example, I always master my live dj mixes from vinyl onto MiniDisc. I can then make as many digital copies as I require from the original.

Yes, that's right but you need that digital out and a real time recording.

For information : MDLP + digital out decks

MDS-JE640

MDS-JE770

MDS-JE780 (Type-S / Net-MD)

MDS-JB930 (admin note: no MDLP here)

MDS-JB940

MDS-JB980 (Type-S / Net-MD)

MDS-JA333ES

MXD-D400 (TypeS + MD/CD deck !!!!)

MXD-D5C

100% correct. "faster than real time" and "using a computer" are, for the purposes of the present discussion, synonymous.

Buy an RH1 - this will absolutely preserve every stored bit that's on your LP2 disks. No conversion whatsoever, unless you command it.