Sony Connect Bypass?

Rate this topic

I have an NW-HD3 with 16 GB of music that i found in my room after "loosing it" 7 years ago.

i have tons of gooooooooooooooood music in there. i want to transfer them back to my library of music but i know the sony connect has been shut down so i cannot authorize the deivce to do so.

any way to bypass that ?

There is an app called HiMDRenderer in the downloads section which can read the OMA files from the HD1, HD3 and HD5 or from HiMD units (and device which shows as a USB Mass Storage in Windows). Any way, the app will read the files and convert them to MP3 at whatever bit rate you choose.

SonicStage never really does anything except transfer files from the PC to the device, no transfer the other way ever occurs. In otherwords, even if you could authorize the device you would never be able to transfer files from the HD3 back to the PC.

Check out HiMDRenderer, it takes a long time to process an entire HD3 drive of music but after a few hours you'll have nice sounding MP3 versions of the files. I think you need to have SonicStage installed and also Lame encoder, it may come with the Lame dll, but it needs SonicStage to get the public key for the decryption of the OMA data files.

Interesting. The NWZ-A1000/1200/3000 which are all known as ATRAC Audio Devices all allow the transfer back from the device to the PC. In Sonic Stage. (This is distinct from the NetMD case where "check in" simply consists of deleting the file - the only thing which gets transferred back to the PC in that case is the "authorization" i.e. encryption key(s) and this allows updating the transfer count for that one file just checked in).

Similarly you can transfer files OFF a HiMD disk that were placed there by another PC, but only if they were non encrypted, or decrypted by the File Conversion Tool.

However I have a feeling that this will never apply to Connect Store items. Since I never had any then it is hard to test. Why? Because they use differently-coded key blocks from the rest of the files stored on portables and PCs. I'm not even sure if the A1200 (for example) and other Atrac AD's even accept Connect tracks. If the layout is the same on the earlier HD3/5 then it should be easy enough to copy the files (look for .oma on the disk?) back using normal USB access. The problem is (or may be) decrypting them.

If all OP's tracks came from Connect, I'm not optimistic. However if they did NOT all come from Connect, the chances are that you can eventually get the non-Connect ones back, if you can persuade FCT or perhaps the modified VLC/ffmpeg with ATRAC support to decode them.

To be fair to Sony, they did tell everyone that the Connect Store was going down, and to allow conversion from protected tracks to ones that can be transferred, if I recall correctly. If the tracks were still on the PC then FCT would do it - but I have a feeling that the ones on a device are beyond recovery.

Just from my experience, I am pretty sure there is never any copy of music data from the HD1/HD5 back to the PC, it just happens too quickly. When transferring, say, 5 GB of ATRAC data from the PC to the device it may take 5 - 10 minutes. On the other hand, when returning authentications back to the PC, as you said, it checks the keys, changes the counts and deletes the files from the portable device, this is a very short process taking only seconds.

If the OP does not mind converting to MP3 (or even WAV as it looks like HiMDRenderer supports that as well) he can certainly use that and not be concerned with the encryption. I may be wrong, I hope I am not, it would be a shame if the device had to be authenticated to the PC in use before even HiMDRenderer could transfer and convert the files.

That may be where you suggest the VLC/ffmpeg project could come into play.

• 4 weeks later...

There is an app called HiMDRenderer in the downloads section which can read the OMA files from the HD1, HD3 and HD5 or from HiMD units (and device which shows as a USB Mass Storage in Windows). Any way, the app will read the files and convert them to MP3 at whatever bit rate you choose.

SonicStage never really does anything except transfer files from the PC to the device, no transfer the other way ever occurs. In otherwords, even if you could authorize the device you would never be able to transfer files from the HD3 back to the PC.

Check out HiMDRenderer, it takes a long time to process an entire HD3 drive of music but after a few hours you'll have nice sounding MP3 versions of the files. I think you need to have SonicStage installed and also Lame encoder, it may come with the Lame dll, but it needs SonicStage to get the public key for the decryption of the OMA data files.

hi thanks for the info and help, so i tried this and i get an error msg from HIMDRnderer :/

http://i50.tinypic.com/nrwxd.gif

and this is the error msg i get from sonic stage:http://i48.tinypic.com/2j9mhy.gif

• 4 weeks later...

i cant play them, it just give me no sound. thats the problem.

By my definition, then, I suspect that means you can not play them. Sorry.

Although, I admit that *encrypted* files would probably give you something like :windows file error:

So perhaps you just haven't figured out how to get the codecs installed into your version of windows. If you install Sonic Stage, that should turn on the codecs. If you did already, start checking all your sound card control panels to make sure "wav" is turned on as a source.

• 5 months later...

UPDATE: after countless hours of research your boy finally figured it out. i successfully took my music out of my NW-HD3 and transfered them back to my computers hard drive.

if anyone wants to know how, let me know and i could try and write a step by step on how i did it.