Help! Is my MZ-RH1 Dead?

Rate this topic

rampart

Hi,

I am a long time lurker, and really appreciate all of the hacks the regulars here have provided over the years - it has been really difficult to realise the full potential of HiMD vs those meddling kids at Sony. I am not really very technical so would really appreciate any help with the below.

Anyway, my beloved MZ-RH1 has been well used, then recently wouldn't power up. It wouldn't charge, or power up when plugged into the PC. If it was just the battery then wouldn't it still power up / show some sign of life when plugged into the PC. I would happily buy a new LIP-4WM if it was definitely the issue, but i understand my recorder is now 6 years old and this may just be the end. Otherwise the LIP-4WM is just an expensive waste.

so is it dead beyond repair?

The same thing occurs on occasion with one or another of my MZ-RH1 units. With mine, It's as if a contact switch or some such fails to engage upon closing the lid. The following two procedures have worked for me.

You can check the two screws located on the bottom at the front edge and the two located on the back side to see if any might be a bit loose. As a caution, I recommend leaving alone any that are not loose.

Another possible solution is to insert a disc and shut the lid as you normally would, then very gently apply some pressure with your finger tips to the lid in the area along the rear edge. With power being supplied, that might cause it to wake up.

First, however, you should wait to see what the expert at repair has to say.

• 2 months later...

The same thing occurs on occasion with one or another of my MZ-RH1 units. With mine, It's as if a contact switch or some such fails to engage upon closing the lid. The following two procedures have worked for me.

You can check the two screws located on the bottom at the front edge and the two located on the back side to see if any might be a bit loose. As a caution, I recommend leaving alone any that are not loose.

Another possible solution is to insert a disc and shut the lid as you normally would, then very gently apply some pressure with your finger tips to the lid in the area along the rear edge. With power being supplied, that might cause it to wake up.

First, however, you should wait to see what the expert at repair has to say.

Please see the comments I have just left re the RH1 in this thread:

This should explain the two possible causes of your problem

Jim

If you don't mind, I'll use this thread to post some trouble of my own that appeared only this week. I don't use the RH1 much so was surprised to be discovering problems.

Last week I transferred some albums in Hi-MD via Sonic Stage using the RH1. Same as usual, no problems. This week, I can't get SS or my computer to recognize RH1. Tried rebooting the computer, using a different USB drive, different MDs - nothing. The RH1 display flashes ACCESS and just hangs there.

What gives?

Last week I transferred some albums in Hi-MD via Sonic Stage using the RH1. Same as usual, no problems. This week, I can't get SS or my computer to recognize RH1. Tried rebooting the computer, using a different USB drive, different MDs - nothing. The RH1 display flashes ACCESS and just hangs there.

What gives?

You don't give much to go on, but there are two immediate things coming to mind. If the message appears when first plugged into the USB port, it may be that the disc read is failing. Does a similar problem appear when inserting a disc for playing, when not attached to the PC?

I have also had a similar problem when using any Hi-MD unit on a flaky USB port. Some USB sockets just don't work right. You seem to be saying you have already tried a different USB port. Have you tried a different USB hub (often two USB ports on the PC will be the same USB device, so try the ports on the back of the machine or a separate plug-in hub).

HI Jeff, I just realised it's you, not a random stranger without mucho experience. So don't treat my comments as too broad :)

Assuming it's the same port as last week.... I would try to see what ELSE is connected to USB. But I'm a software guy so I would mostly suspect software problems.

It's possible you have one of these crazy things that hogs the CPU (not necessarily a virus - don't try installing new antivirus that may make it worse). In this case, no polling will occur. Some stuff from Microsoft where it's trying (and failing) to run automatic updates, can be the cause.

You don't mention characteristics of your PC. Speed, RAM, version of Windows, what other software you recently installed.

Check to see with Task Manager or Process Explorer. Get rid of Firefox browser (stop it, no need to de-install), Samsung AllShare (same thing), and look to see if any of the services are going mad and taking large percent CPU. Have you got an HP printer on your network? I've had a fair bit of trouble with the background printer communication on the network. Is there an Apple Airport in the house? Did you install Nero Backitup? There's a sneaky scheduler which can cause problems.

Finally, just to check - last week you used HiMD. Are you running Windows 64-bit (most W7 installs) and this is a non-HiMD? If so you need NETMD760.SYS NetMD driver from the download section. (yeah I realise this one not likely since you are you).

Double check, if you can, with some other device than the RH1. If that works, especially with non-HiMD disk, then it's a hardware problem most likely.

64bit Windows 7, had no trouble last week using the same ports, software, hardware.

Since last writing, I tried reinstalling the driver. No luck. Reinstalled SS, No luck. The RH1 is connected to the computer via USB cable. Put the disc in - nothing. Not even the ACCESS message. Just like it's dead. I unplug from the computer and start play on the unit (the remote is not connected). The machine recognizes the disc. I press stop then plug back into the computer. VOILA! SS now reads the disc.