HI MD formated minidisc no longer work in SP mode ?

Rate this topic

sbeuh

hello everyone

I own mz rh10 that I used a lot

Now oled is starting to fade out, so I decided coming back to my good ol' mz r50

this unit works and record pretty well ...

...as far I quikly ran out of md, and started using thoose from my rh10

the recording process (either analog / digital) is okay but the playback is full of blanks, skips.

I first thought the minidisks was damaged, but they still work fine with my rh10

I did some research, but didnt noticed restriction when reformatting discs back to MD ,

I also tried to record silence before well I guess I'll have to buy new ones?

That's pretty weird. I might wonder about the opposite, since taking old disks from an R50 and putting PRML data on them with Hi-MD format might be pushing the boundaries of possibility. This is more likely some glitch in the R50.

However I will say this - my own RH910 is a very strange beast. Sometimes it can corrupt 1GB disks so that no one else can play them, at least until a different Hi-MD machine can fill them with data. So perhaps it's this. Don't forget that you cannot use a 1GB disk at all in your R50... but I'm sure you were not trying to do THAT.....?

Jim?

I agree with the strange beast theory:

I reformatted 2 more discs back to MD, and tested out recording with my r50; one is okay(???), the other one is full of skips except 20 minutes in the midle ( I'm using sony's 80 mn premium no 1GB disk of course !)

Hmm...

The skipping problem is symptomatic of a faulty optical pickup in the R50, that is for sure. Recordings made prior can seem fine on many units, and then one day the R50 just starts 'stuttering'.

I have done this myself, using my numerous and varied test discs for Hi-MD recording, and then cleared them down for reuse as legacy MDs. But I always use an old deck for disc erasing as they do not baulk at NetMD recorded tracks that are marked as protected, as their firmware was written prior to the concept of NetMD.

That said, I have seen a number of R30s giving this fault recently (same basic hardware and optics), so there may be something in it. I will, given time, do some experimenting. It would be worth my while as if this is a genuine phenomenon I will want to segregate my legacy vs. Hi-MD formatted MD80 discs.

Jim

-Considering whether to explore repairing or not -

I have two NH900s, both of which have started failing in the same way that 'sbeuh' describes above during playback of 74 and 80 minute discs recorded in SP or LP2.

Skips and gaps are becoming much too common. They worked fine when I first got them. I'm wondering if it's worth having these two units repaired?

I liked them as playback units and for downloading or burning CDs to using Simple Burner. I'd rather use these units for such functions than my RH1s. But, I have also found them to be finicky machines (especially regarding the two buttons on the face labeled 'CANCEL / CHG' which also has the Pause (||) function and the smaller button labeled 'NAVI /MENU'.

(I have a third NH900 that is beyond repair I think, which could be used for spare parts but, it did lot of skipping and blanking out during playback as well.)

Were these just poorly designed or built machines, despite the nice metal case? Or did I just manage to get three bad ones?

To repair or not to repair is the question.

• Like 1

Sorry for the tardy reply - Hurricane Sandy sent us a little off course here in the Apple. (note: above I meant to say '...downloading or ripping CDs to MD using Simple Burner')

A further question then: Could such a power problem go on and off at times? Sometimes one or the other of these NH900 units seems to behave as expected, including the finicky function button problem. Then, suddenly it's misbehaving again.

I know I have read here that fixing a power problem takes special equipment and expertise. Can I be advised approximately the cost of repairing two units?

thanks

p.s. Condolences for the loss of HMS Bounty and one crew member in the storm. Sad events.

Talk to Jim Hoggarth, I should think. The same effect can probably happen if there is a mechanical aspect of one the units which has a little more friction than usual. But dimming of the LCD is a clear indicator. Once I adjusted my own NH900's overall operating voltage it seems to have stayed working (initially you couldn't see the screen properly and fixing the main supply voltage brought back the LCD).

Well, the display windows are fine, even with the contrast turned all the way down. So it's likely some mechanical problem as you suggest.

Should I PM Jim Hoggrath or does that require an invitation? I haven't done this before but, I would like to have these nice NH900 units working properly if possible.

thanks

try this in search engine(s):

jim.hoggarth site:ebay.co.uk

He will often pop in here. His repair listing is missing at this moment, maybe it expired and he forgot to renew. Plenty of satisfied customers on the board here.

Hi y'all. Actually my listing is down because eBay have taken it down. They say it breaches their policies. And they also want me to put any rewritten version in one of their 'Other' sections, which means nobody will ever see it, so I have temporarily removed it to see how much work I get just by word of mouth alone.

Ok, the NH900. I have discovered a few problems with this unit. I can confirm the Stop button problem; for some reason just this button is affected usually, occasionally a few others, and it is simply down to the switch contacts that need cleaning and 'brightening' to prevent the key value being misread.

I have also discovered that the NH900 is prone to not charging batteries properly. It will cut off charging early, resulting in a battery with a low capacity. It is spurious, and I have not yet managed to determine a real pattern. Part of the reason for this is I have such a small sample of machines to test, with only two in stock and having just worked on a couple more customer's units. I have adjusted the voltage settings in EEPROM, but this appears to have no real positive effect. Still the problem persists, although possibly not as bad as prior to adjustment. The solution I have suggested to the guy who sent me an NH900 showing this problem is to to 'double-charge', That is, to let the unit charge the battery once, then take it through a second charge cycle straight away. It seems to get around this problem.

(An interesting point: I discovered two of the NH900 voltage settings were 200mV out compared with the printed values in the service manual. I find this suspicious, and wonder whether the values in the manual are incorrect: a misprint?)

As for jmsla's original problem, I suspect they need both voltage and mechanical adjustments, and may even have faulty optical pickups. This is actually a very common problem with the Hi-MD units I have seen so far, and in many cases there is a perceived fault on the optical pickup that alignment will not cure. To be honest, I would have to see the unit(s) before knowing for sure what the problem is. I would also welcome the ability to add to the sample of NH900s I have seen in the workshop.

So you need to PM me, so we can arrange that the recorders can be posted over the pond to me here in Blighty.

Jim

PS - I have started to develop a simple web presence based on the gratis www facility provided by my ISP. At a later date I intend purchasing my own internet domain, but that will come when I have created a sufficiently decent web presence on the free option. Hopefully I can get Google's spiders to crawl on it soon, so I can be found with a Google search such as 'minidisc repairs'. I am adding a few paragraphs every day, hopefully it will be functional in a week or two. So the temporary home is:

http://www.angie0310...ueyonder.co.uk/