Tired of ads? Register today to remove them.

Photo
- - - - -

NetMD for Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 cwall1108

cwall1108

Novice

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

I've run into a bit of a snag with the above - that being windows 8 honestly believes my MZ-NH600D's enumerated driver (the generic USB Mass Storage device) is the best and shiniest driver to use. This means when I tell it to search for the device and give it the NETMD760 directory it still is convinced it knows best. Here's what I've done so far..

Run 1:

a) hooked up the MD

B) devices and printers in control panel

c) right click hi-md, properties

d) hardware tab, click properties

e) driver tab, click driver

f) update driver button is greyed out

Run 2: 

a-B) same, before proceeding, safe eject device in systray

b-d) same

e) click change settings on general tab

f) go to driver tab 

g) browse for local driver... from here on out it's like proudofmylife's video EXCEPT...

h) Windows 8 says my current driver is the best one.

Run 3:

As above but with the reboot to the non-signature checking mode.  Still fails. 

So... it seems that I have a couple of options and I don't know windows well enough to say if this is doable...

1) remove the mass storage driver (seems like a bad move)

2) coax win8 to overlook its recomendation and/or force the netmd drivers in place.

It's worth noting that the devices works with SonicStage like a champ, but ONLY with HiMD format discs. I can't format NetMD/"old" format at all, or see anything on a NetMD disc. 

Guesses? Suggestions? 

#22 sfbp

sfbp

Inquisitor

• Administrators
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:39 PM

1. Follow the instructions here (in the first post of the thread):

http://forums.sonyin...lem-on-the-rh1/

2. Get rid of ALL traces of the old driver configuration files (the actual .SYS don't matter, it's the .INF which do matter).  This will involve searching for .INF files in the WINDOWS\INF directory containing "NetMD". They will all be named "oem<nn>.inf", where "<nn>" is a number between 1 and 99 (actually it might go over 100 but I've never checked that out). Delete them. DO NOT delete anything else, or your system will crash.

3. Reboot.

4. Try again to install.

Note that for W8 there may be special tricks to get access to c:\windows and therefore c:\windows\inf, I am not sure. A combination of grep and cmd.exe may do the trick. I don't have a W8 to try it on.

#23 cwall1108

cwall1108

Novice

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

I found a trick. Basically Windows 8 refused on the HiMD. You can't really remove the bulk storage driver - it wants it for other stuff like thumb drives and external hard drives. I found a NetMD unit to connect and that did the trick. I'm left in a state where, if I want to make a NetMD LP2/4 "old school" disc, I have to crack out the MZ-R707 or MZ-NE410. If I want Hi-MD I plug in the MZ-NH600D. 

Given that good units are going to be on the down turn from here on out, I guess I can chalk it up as wear-levelling across units. Thank goodness I ebayed a backlog so there's redundancy across the lines :D

#24 sfbp

sfbp

Inquisitor

• Administrators
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

It's nothing to do with the bulk storage driver.

Your problem has to do with the HiMD unit's desire to switch identities between MD and HiMD. It actually changes USB ID, I think.

However you will never get the NetMD stuff working unless you do away with all the remnants of 32-bit drivers. Unfortunately you appear to have skipped telling us the details (apologies if I missed them!). You need NETMD760.* and no other NetMD driver for NetMD mode. You need NO DRIVERS for HiMD mode at all (other than the Bulk Storage driver as you have correctly identified).

Hope this helps.

PS (afterthought). You might want to do the NetMD install with the Disc Mode of the HiMD Unit set to MD (it's probably HiMD right now). It will switch depending on what disk is in the unit, but if you tried installing with a blank disk or no disk, it's going to look like the default (set by Disc Mode).

#25 cwall1108

cwall1108

Novice

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Belated reply - yes, got the 760 drivers which work like a champ on my growing stockpile of Net MD units. Finally got around to testing what would happen if I put NetMD format into the NH600D and plugged it in. Pretty anticlimactic - the unit froze. I had to pop the battery out to get it back to life. Could be any number of things, including my NH600D has had the most use and abuse (got it new in the store around 2004). 

Anyhow, thanks again. 

#26 sfbp

sfbp

Inquisitor

• Administrators
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

It should work. Most likely you have to upgrade the driver FOR THAT UNIT. Plug it in and without trying to do anything, do a driver update to 760

#27 cwall1108

cwall1108

Novice

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

No luck. With non-HiMD disc inserted the device doesn't even show in the manager. It (the 600D) locks in all cases. I only have an entry to upgrade (and keep my unit from freezing) in cases where a HiMD disc is inserted, in which case the bulk storage driver is in use and windows absolutely refuses to budge. Not a worry - using a my non-himd units works. 

#28 sfbp

sfbp

Inquisitor

• Administrators
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Probably you have to surgically remove all NetMD drivers and start again.

Let us know, it's quite simple if you are of a mildly technical persuasion.

#29 cwall1108

cwall1108

Novice

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

At risk of belaboring the thread, I've done all that. The results are the same regardless. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users