Sony to end Minidisc production next month

Webmaster

From Slashdot:

The BBC reports that Sony, the creators of the MiniDisc audio format, are to deliver their last MiniDisc stereo system in March (March 2013). Launched over 20 years ago in late 1992 as a would-be successor to the original audio cassette, MiniDisc outlasted Philips' rival Digital Compact Cassette format, but never enjoyed major success outside Japan. Other manufacturers will continue making MiniDisc players, but this is a sign that — over ten years after the first iPod — the MiniDisc now belongs to a bygone era."

I think 20 years for an audio format is a pretty good run (Minidisc Walkman units ceased production in 2011). -Eric W.

I had no idea they were still making them. I thought they were gone at least in the US by 2009. Were they still making them for other countries I guess? Were there new models sold outside the US after the RH1? I thought this was the last device made for minidisc. And the article says they will still make the cartridges, but you can't purchase them new from Sony's website. Im a little confused and intrigued, and would be happy if someone knew what was going on and could enlighten me!

Thanks,

Sean

Hi All!!

I just stumbled across something REALLY cool and shocking. Tascam still manufactures and sells a combo MD/CD deck with all the digital I/O's and bells and whistles you need!! (SP and MDLP formats) When I acquire the $650 that is the listing price Im definitely ordering one before they discontinue them. I was floored and excited when I stumbled across the product on Tascam's website. I'm fascinated that they are still making them, they can't be selling many of these because I think the only people that still use minidisc are the few that belong to this forum.

Check it out!!! http://tascam.com/pr...cd1mk3/buy_now/

Enjoy!

Sean

Onkyo are also still continuing to manufacture MiniDisc units and HHB in England still have their own brand blank discs in their 2013 catalogue and show no signs of discontinuing them as yet, which is good.

Onkyo still is? Where? Whenever I try to hunt down these units I never find a retailer just individuals selling them for top dollar.

Very disappointing to hear. Have been living my youth along with the MD/DAT age during those years but didn't get much chance to use it. Had occasional access to MD equipment and only made a few recordings, mainly CD dubs.

Now the format is dying and I'm left with lots of blank MDs, many of which are still factory-sealed...

Same thing with blank DATs too

Sad news, but it's inevitable, with all that new technology and better file formats available......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sony was fools to stop making full size units for us HiFi nuts that love the MD fomat so it didn't take on apple so what it's still 100 times better for us for home use, what would be nice is a new HiMD QS deck as I along with 1000s of people would buy them out over night if Pioneer can bring out a new turntable plus CD players why can't Sony give us a new MD player as we need to be able to play our MD's for another 20 years, I've been a very big fan of MD since 1998 & all my friends have come to love MD for home recording after I lent them my old 520 to put MD to the test even people with the very top end Reel to Reel have come to love MD for home recording in stereo.