MP3 Transfer Mode Quality Issues

Rate this topic

Kona702

Hello friends,

Has anyone noticed the striking crappiness of MP3 files transferred "as-is" to a HI-MD? Meaning rather than converting the MP3 file to Atrac3Plus, the RH-10 can transfer MP3's with no conversion and play them back. I am confused as to why the native format of an MP3 file sounds horrible compared to the same file converted to a different format?

An MP3 converted while transferring to the HI-MD Atrac3Plus 352kbps sounds amazing compared to if you just simply transferred the MP3. I don't understand why, it makes no sense to me that it would sound better as the originating file is the MP3. I'm assuming it has something to do with the playback on the MD unit (using an RH-10 for the comparison)

Can anyone enlighten me?

Input is appreciated!

Thanks,

Sean

It's just a known problem the second generation HiMD units (M10/100, RH10/910, ?RH710, ?DH710). People have speculated why, but my sense is that Sony had not yet mastered the technology at that point. Subsequently their MP3 support improved including their conversion FROM Atrac to MP3 which they released as a "goodbye" present.

I have yet to hear any conversion where having ATRAC3+ 352 makes a significant difference over 256. However going the other direction, it's essential to convert ATRAC3 (66 and 132kbps) to at least MP3 256kbps, because ATRAC does a much better job of compression than MP3.