Need new record head for MDS-JA333ES

Rate this topic

Hello all, I am chasing a record head for a MDS-JA333ES, the part number is: 150056511 'Head Over Light', I cant find one in Australia any more, I already put a new one in but an incompetent tech damged it on me when my machine wass in for a service and now they cant replace it because its NLA from speedy spares, or does any one have an old machine for parts I could buy or any other model machine like the 555ES that might use the same part? any help I really dont want to loose this machine over a $30 part :/ thanks all, Aaron

I think that's a mis-spelled "Head, overwrite". So not in fact the Laser assembly or "Optical pickup".

Hehe you're in luck.

There's someone selling the head for an MDS-JA20ES which I noticed a week ago. Hopefully he's still there. It has the same number.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-MD-Laser-Head-for-Onkyo-SONY-minidisc-MDS-series-/251181105373

Looks to me like this INCLUDES the overwrite part (check the picture), but hey.... if you can do it yourself, you're laughing even at $59

You may have to install the whole thing, methinks but that's probably ok.

Jim on the board here can evaluate the correctness of my diagnosis since he plays with these things all the time. Or perhaps he can sell you just the overwrite part (overlight)?

The write head on this unit is not the same part number as any I have in stock - it is shared between this and the JA20ES onyl I think. So I doubt any I have would actually fit, at least not without modification. The important thing to note is that the top-end decks have disc drawers more liek a CD unit, which must mean the write head is substantially different. Although it looks about the same on the exploded diagrams.

Replacement of a head is easy. You really only need to unscrew the original damaged part and screw the replacement onto the optical pickup block. It is advised that a screw sealant is used. If you have none, nail varnish is a good alternative. Just a tiny amount is needed on the thread. Sorry I can't help with the part - I am a poor peasant engineer who cannot afford these posh up-market items!

Jim

thanks, I am looking at getting one as it looks exactly the same as my one BUT the listing claims its for most units, thats a crock! only the 333ES and 555ES have the same head to my knowledge, so not sure if I will get one until its confirmed as I do not want to waste my time and money :/

I agree.

I just ordered one since I checked and on all the units I possess it looks the same.

The point for you, perhaps, is that the overwrite part is probably the same. At the price Sony charges for parts, I would be inclined to get the whole thing and throw away the optical head (well, put it in a drawer) if you don't need it.

yea man but the issue is, the seller cant even confirm what model it suits, so I dont want to get one, he says it suits all MDS series machines! yeah right i mean all sony minidisc stuff is MDS series, well decks anyway, but all I know is the laser/head for the MDS-JA333ES and MDS-JA555ES are the same, nothing else will work, so I am waiting for the person to confirm what model machine their laser/heads are suited to.

Apart from Jim, what's your source of information?

In any event it's the overwrite assembly that you need fixed (assuming your original post describes the problem correctly).

I'm actually wondering if they renamed the part you want.

Jim, I can see the MECHANISM (the drawer) part of the MD being different but what's our evidence for the HEAD being different?

Simply the part number. There may be subtle differences, I couldn't say until seeing one and physically comparing. Usually it is not the head and arm, but the plastic back-piece - more specifically, the part which lifts the head away from the disc when in playback mode (the heads are of course designed to be in the loaded position, as you know). I have seen several designs across lots of units, whether Sony branded or otherwise (but using the Sony KMS-2xx optical pickup unit).

It could indeed be that another head would fit, but I can't say as I have never seen this particular drive unit. And there's no way I will drop myself in it by saying otherwise. In my experience if parts are identical, so are the Sony part numbers. Otherwise there is a definite difference, however slight. It may just be the cable, which of course could be swapped over to 'make' an original replacement part. I just can't say 100%.

Jim

PS - been off line for several days, sorry for not replying sooner.

Hello Jim, I need a KMS-260B for my MDS-JA333ES machine, I can get every thing I need but not the Over light head (record head) so I have found on this site in Ireland a 'replacement part' its called a KMK-260AAB find it here: http://www.donberg.ie/descript/k/kms_260b.htm , I am wondering if you can have a look and see what you think, it says it is to 'replace' the KMS-260B so since that is what I need would it be safe to say that this (KMK-260AAB) will work in my 333ES that would other wise have a KMS-260B/J1N??

kind regards Aaron

Aaron.... stop!

The overwrite head is separate from the optical pickup. It's called overlight because in Asian countries they have a hard time with "r" and "l" and so some person transcribing notes to the original service manual wrote "light" instead of "write" because they had no idea what they were doing. I'm sorry - I assumed you understood this from my earlier comments.

That head in the picture could be a 260A, the following "AB" is just some suffix or other and probably irrelevant. In any event the 260AAB is written on the drive, not the head, in that picture.

I remain unconvinced that there are physically two different types of head. Typically what Sony seems to have done is to make the first revision in something upmarket (ie expensive) and then replaced it with something cheaper which was made in volume. I am not certain that the suffix really makes any difference at all. Jim thinks so, but he doesn't actually have a 20ES or 333ES to compare. Right Jim? Especially regarding the overwrite (which is magnetic not optical) head.

If you're right then what they're offering is a REAL bargain - note they want 75 Euros for the lowly JE520's 260A. So I am highly suspicious that

a. they don't know what they have or are remaindering it (always possible) or

b. it isn't what you want.

Best

Stephen

Hello Jim, I need a KMS-260B for my MDS-JA333ES machine, I can get every thing I need but not the Over light head (record head) so I have found on this site in Ireland a 'replacement part' its called a KMK-260AAB find it here: http://www.donberg.ie/descript/k/kms_260b.htm , I am wondering if you can have a look and see what you think, it says it is to 'replace' the KMS-260B so since that is what I need would it be safe to say that this (KMK-260AAB) will work in my 333ES that would other wise have a KMS-260B/J1N??

kind regards Aaron

The KMK-260AAB refers to the complete drive unit, and it is not Sony. It probably uses the KMS-260x laser unit, but the rest I recognise but not as a unit used in Sony gear. It is probably for a Denon. I am sure it is not Goodmans or Grundig, perhaps it may be Pioneer or Sharp.

I have to ferret about in the loft later today for a particular part. At the same time I will search through the decks I have up there. There is a distinct possibilty I have a complete boxed JA3ES that I stored many years ago but forgot I had. If I have, I will partially dismantle it to examine the overwrite head and compare with others. Hopefully I am not dreaming and one does really exist up there. I will let you know one way or the other shortly.

Jim

The overwrite head on that one is different again, namely 1-500-175-11.

The optical block is a KMS-210A which is different again from either 260A or 260B. It certainly does look quite different in the picture.

The good news is, if the overwrite head on the JA3ES turns out to be the same as one from a more humble deck such as the JE510 or JE520, then the chances are that ALL overwrite heads are the same. Right?

(note that the manuals for the 510 and 520 corrects the "over light" nonsense to "over write". I imagine this is fixed from then on)

More good news - lots of later units use a 260B. I can tell you whether the overwrite head is different between 260A and 260B. I'm guessing not.

Hello Steven, I know that the what the 'head' is, ie, the magnetic thing that records on the TOP of the disc; i never refer to the laser as a head :P

In Australia, these 'heads' are listed as "Over Light", my 333ES manual actually calls it a Over Light Head.

Its kinda makes sence, cos I think of the laser as a "light", and the "head" sits over the top of the laser light, hence the term we have been seeing as OVER LIGHT HEAD, as I do know it is an over write head too lol as in what it acually does.

any how from what I can find and what my service manual says, the head part: 150056511 is the ONLY part that will fit the 333ES, and there is only two machines that use it, they are the MDS-JA555ES and the MDS-JA333ES.

so a head from a MDS-JA3ES I know will not work, well atleast with out and mods or reengineering.

As for the KMS-260B, that is the whole MD mech with laser and head, the aftermarket one I found it called the KMK-260AAB and is NOT Sony, but the lady at the shop in Ireland says it is for ANY machine that would other wise take a KMS-260B mech...... what do you guys think???, btw it DOES look different to the sony mech??

PhillppeC, looking at that item on ebay it looks like an audio cassette tape head! not an MD at all :/

In Australia, these 'heads' are listed as "Over Light", my 333ES manual actually calls it a Over Light Head.

Its kinda makes sence, cos I think of the laser as a "light", and the "head" sits over the top of the laser light, hence the term we have been seeing as OVER LIGHT HEAD, as I do know it is an over write head too lol as in what it acually does.

any how from what I can find and what my service manual says, the head part: 150056511 is the ONLY part that will fit the 333ES, and there is only two machines that use it, they are the MDS-JA555ES and the MDS-JA333ES.

so a head from a MDS-JA3ES I know will not work, well atleast with out and mods or reengineering.

As for the KMS-260B, that is the whole MD mech with laser and head, the aftermarket one I found it called the KMK-260AAB and is NOT Sony, but the lady at the shop in Ireland says it is for ANY machine that would other wise take a KMS-260B mech...... what do you guys think???, btw it DOES look different to the sony mech??

I'm not going to repeat myself, except this one item: "Over Light" is a mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

OK. Argument solved.

My head duly arrived, it is a KMS-260E. THERE IS NO OVERWRITE HEAD ATTACHED. This means the seller's picture is slightly misleading, in my opinion (perhaps someone will correct me). No matter, I am happy that if one of my several decks blows up, the head is replaceable. I think the seller is perfectly correct, this works for many many different decks (though of course not portables which are quite different).

Jim has a KMS-260E and he says the laser part (ie the lower) is identical.

Philippe you are spot on; the E 89.00 is the right (light!) part for Aaron.

Aaron you are quite right, the overwrite head is what differs between the different assemblies.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

The overwrite head on that one is different again, namely 1-500-175-11.

The optical block is a KMS-210A which is different again from either 260A or 260B. It certainly does look quite different in the picture.

The good news is, if the overwrite head on the JA3ES turns out to be the same as one from a more humble deck such as the JE510 or JE520, then the chances are that ALL overwrite heads are the same. Right?

(note that the manuals for the 510 and 520 corrects the "over light" nonsense to "over write". I imagine this is fixed from then on)

More good news - lots of later units use a 260B. I can tell you whether the overwrite head is different between 260A and 260B. I'm guessing not.

Ho hum! That day I was working on an MDS-DR1E, which has the same drive unit as the MDS-JA3ES. I got horribly confused. It is of course nothing like the drive in the original posters question!

Jim