Sony Insider Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sony_Fan

Are all optical outputs the same?

Rate this question

Question

The red light signal that comes out from optical outputs from CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, PS3, Xbox 360, computer sound cards, etc, is it all the same sound quality (assuming a standard CD is being played)? In other words, if I do an optical recording to minidisc from all of these devices with the same CD being played, will the sound quality of the recordings be the same.

5 answers to this question

i think the answer is yes

Is there anyway to know for sure??? I know that the analog outputs can vary in sound quality depending on the device being used.

I'm only asking because I have a CD recorder, PS3, FM/AM/CD mini stereo system and all these have optical outputs. I once did an optical output recording from an Xbox 360 onto minidisc and the music sounded flat. It's all 1s and 0s right???

The red light signal that comes out from optical outputs from CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, PS3, Xbox 360, computer sound cards, etc, is it all the same sound quality (assuming a standard CD is being played)? In other words, if I do an optical recording to minidisc from all of these devices with the same CD being played, will the sound quality of the recordings be the same?

I'm getting tired of this.

I've merged the two topics.

Chris, I don't know why you posted either of them.