NW-A3000 and Car Compatability / Charging

Rate this question

Kalfireth

Question

Hey guys,

I'm about to go on a road trip and while I have all my original CDs, I'd far rather take my Walkman and plug that into my car. That's where I have a problem. My cars head unit is a CD unit with no ports to plug the walkman into. Also I've no way of charging the Walkman from the car battery (which I would need to do).

My questions are these:

1) Is there a way to connect up a Walkman to a car stereo? I've looked at FM stereo digital broadcasters but unfortunately they're illegal in my country (UK) and I would have to buy over the internet... which I don't have time to do right now.

2) Is there an adaptor to charge the NW-A3000 from a cars charger socket? I've not seen anything that would be compatable with the Walkman although I've seen similar items for iPods etc.

Many thanks,

Alex

7 answers to this question

I'm afraid that's a good question... I'll be honest (I was hoping to keep my first post short!) - it's not really my car. It's a friends car. But I do know there are no input sockets on the front panel (except the CD drive).

If there's a way to jury-rig the Walkman to something within the car itself... I suppose that would work, but I'm not an electrician and don't want to accidentally break something!

Does the head unit have the capability to run a cd multichanger. It is possible to run a portable audio device through the wiring for an autochanger although you would have to know what you were doing.

I just got a new car myself and fortunatley the stock head unit supplied has an aux input, it's just a matter of locating the loom and purchasing the connector.

true its illegal to use butthey are avaialble in UK.

I have this one

http://www.aqsound.com/store/en/view_produ...w=more_info#tab

got it post in 2 days in UK or give them a call on 0161 611 7174

It works great on an A3000 just tune it in away from other radio stations, mones set a 104.6, tune in radio to same plug jack into headphone socket and away you go.

true its illegal to use butthey are avaialble in UK.

I have this one

http://www.aqsound.com/store/en/view_produ...w=more_info#tab

got it post in 2 days in UK or give them a call on 0161 611 7174

It works great on an A3000 just tune it in away from other radio stations, mones set a 104.6, tune in radio to same plug jack into headphone socket and away you go.

What's the sound quality like and do you get much interference?

No interfernce if at least 0.2 away from nerest radio station. Sound is as good as FM radio and simple to retune. Tried the black fag lighter one found on ebay -rubbish as will only tune from 80 to 90 same band as radio2 and loads of brakthrough interference. The one i got goes from 80 to 107 in steps of 0.1. cGain is OK and comes with fg light power connector.

transmitters are now legal, as of yesterday :D

Realy need to know the head unit make. If it is a Sony then you can buy an adapter that threads the walman as a CD changer. Not an option with other makes. A lot of head units now have aux sockes in the back but if it is not your car it is probably not an option.