Rate this topic

Hello !

I have just registered to this forum because I have recently gotten hold of a MD recorder, an MZ-N10, which I've got from a friend who had not used it in years, and who apparently did not plan to.

The thing is, the unit won't read any MDs. Whenever I try an MD inside it, it fiddles around for a while making a loud whirring sound, eventually ending out with a "Read Error" alert. At first I thought it was just a problem with the MD but as I have another recorder that works, as I tested more and more MDs out it became apparent the problem came from the unit.

Firstly I downloaded the manual off the internet and tried the "reboot" method that basically instructs to power down everything, let it rest for a while then power it back up, to no avail.

Then I learned there was a service mode for the device, so I downloaded the service manual. After launching the service mode (with one of the methods that doesn't require you to disassemble the whole thing) and out of curiosity, I ran the self-diagnosis result display mode, to try to learn more about what could've caused the issue.

This returned :

1 00B6

N 004B

N100B6

N200B6

R_004B

Now I'm a complete noob when it comes to this kind of things, and I don't know if this would help, but the error codes indicate : a TOC address data error (013, which I have no idea what it is), two spindle errors indicating an abnormal rotation of disc (both 004 errors) and a MD DATA 2 disc error (the 035 one, which again, I have no idea what it might be).

Have any of you had this problem before ? Is it repairable with having to send it back to Sony ?

Thanks in advance !

All the best,

A.

Read errors are usually a result of a bad optical pickup unit, but that said a flaky spindle motor will also cause distress. The motor in the N10 rarely fails, but it is not unheard of. I certainly think you are not going to effect a repair without experience and parts. The good news is that the R_004B figure means the unit has barely been used, certainly as a recorder. So the optical pickup should be like new. It may also mean the internal battery is in A1 condition, which is a rarity for this model. You may well have a machine very much worth repairing.

If you need a repair, PM me or email on jim.hoggarth@blueyonder.co.uk. I am in the UK, so postage to me is not too expensive.

Jim

Apparently he did not use it much, he got a digital recorder shortly after and I think this has stayed in a box for quite a while. The unit looks really good too, apart from a dent on the outside of the rotary controller thingy (which may indicate that it was dropped ?).

I'm usually not that afraid to take things apart for repair or do a bit of soldering, but I usually work on much bigger hardware, mostly old game consoles, so I'm not too comfortable with disassembling something that small, especially since I have absolutely no experience with MDs (it's only the second MD player I get, and I'm new to the format so).

Thanks a lot for the quick answer! I'll get back to you soon :)