Rate this topic

Retroman

Just joined, i have a few machines and us them in the car via a vhf transmit unit .

I have eventually through some deep digging come across this site :) and found Sonic stage ultimate I have installed it and my MZ-RH1 wont show on it :( but shows up as a drive in Devices and Printers in my Win 7 any one any Idea ?

When i start to record to the unit (eventually) what recording setting do I choose (silly me) as i will be recording all of my Comedy cassettes,as well as some of my POP records :)

Hoping someone might help :)

Welcome Retroman to the "Cult of Minidisc". Introduce yourself to our "high priest" sfbp (kidding Stephen :-)

I tried an FM transmitter in my car (Honda Civic 2007) a little while back but could get the radio to catch the signal. Someone has produced a guide on modding in a 3.5mm jack to the AUX connection... but it entails removing quite a bit of the dashboard.

Speaking of cars, Arr (mine's a 2006 Ford Escape, my wife's is a 2004 Subaru - both have the standard [or what once was] dashboard openings into which MD head units fit nicely), has anyone noticed that just about all the newer cars have the integrated sound systems? How the heck do you put MD in one of those? What'll I do when the Escape dies or if I just wanted to replace it? Not giving up my mobile MD without a fight!

Speaking of cars, Arr (mine's a 2006 Ford Escape, my wife's is a 2004 Subaru - both have the standard [or what once was] dashboard openings into which MD head units fit nicely), has anyone noticed that just about all the newer cars have the integrated sound systems? How the heck do you put MD in one of those? What'll I do when the Escape dies or if I just wanted to replace it? Not giving up my mobile MD without a fight!

Yep, it's irritating friend bluecrab. Time was that every car had the standard (in Europe anyway) single DIN head unit gap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_unit)

In this age of extensive component sharing I feel the car marques want to distinguish between themselves more fully by moulding the interior to be really different to the "next car on the block".

My first "sports car" was a BMW 323 coupe and I remember fitting a Kenwood 673R - which was easy, you just needed the "key levers" and fished out the old unit, unplug, hook up new unit, fished back in - done! I also upgraded the speakers to a pair of Infinity Reference speakers. It sounded tremendous!

The 2009 model year of the Civic has a 3.5mm jack factory fitted which I would be happy with. Going forward though I suspect "USB ports" are the new "3.5mm jack"...

Sorry not to respond to your replies but thanks for all your input sorted the drivers etc but the MD still shows as a HiMd in devices but in Sonic stage nothing but i will persist.

On the car side my Motor is a Yeti and i found the band 3 on vhf blank chose a frequency plugged in the little transmiter thing and mateced the frequency and Mis B Sriesand wafted through the cars speakers in glorious S-T-E-R-E-O I am happy :)

I just need to know what setting I do when i record direct to the unit from my system is it ATTRAC ?

There's NO driver required for HiMD.

You only need a driver for NetMD. With an MZ-RH1 you need to put a non-Hi-MD (aka LoMD) in the unit with data already recorded on it at LP2, LP4 or SP. Now go into the device list and update the NetMD driver which is probably marked with a yellow exclam.

To convince yourself of all this, try recording in HiMD mode (you can do this on a regular MD, you don't need the 1GB kind) and see if Sonic Stage sees anything.

• 8 months later...

Due to medical problems last year I was not on the site for a while and have now resurected my interest in Mini Discs I recently purchased The MZ-R5ST with remote/ battery/ manual/ piggy back battery case Have had to buy a separate power adaptor Bought off Ebay for 165 Pounds + postage works really well too neat little machine with a nice amount of manual features :) I shall now be able to transefer my Cassette based stuff and reel Reel recordings (Akai) OH what joy :)