Sony Insider Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SileEeles

New here, but not to Minidisc.

Rate this topic

So I'm not new to Minidisc (as the title says). It is a format I've been familiar with since ... 2003? 2004? I was at secondary (high) school at the time I had my first player.

It was a Sharp MD MT80, although for some strange reason, I could have sworn the screen and buttons were the opposite way around. Funny how memory works.

Back then it was recording music from a CD player track by track, which often helped kill boredom, but its not something I would have the patients for nowadays. Which is why, in my search to get back into the format, I aquired a NetMD device from eBay. It cost £30 and came with a charger, some discs, the software cd and all the cables. It is a Sony MZ-N510, which is fairly common I think, but its a damn good player/recorder.

I had trouble initially with aquiring SonicStage 4.3 but I found it, and I also had to get 64bit drivers too.

I am also going to get hold of a Minidisc seperate/deck/thing from a friend whose dad has two of them, a Sony MDS-JE440. It's going to cost me £10 (as opposed to £50 which is what he would ask elsewhere) as I'm a family friend, which is an awesome score. Looking forward to that. It was very important that the player I was looking for supports MDLP since I do my discs in LP2 mode. Many people on eBay do not state this and a lot of the photos I was looking at also don't reveal much. And are also considerably more expensive.

For portability and being out and about, I find that LP2 is fine, and from what I've played through my Hi-Fi, it also sounds perfectly fine. I can average about 3 albums per disc. Whether it will sound the same or not through the MDS I will have to wait and see, but I can't imagine there will be much of a difference.

I'm not entirely sure why I went back to Minidiscs ... I just remembered them one day and started missing them. Been using them ever since. I've also been looking at various discs with different designs but they often cost a bit more than my budget for such items would allow. I have bought some extra discs though, some rather nice Sony Premium discs that are gold coloured.

I will likely keep this post up to date with my progress regarding the MDS-JE440 and whatever else comes to mind.

Thanks for reading!

well SileEeles its worth subscribing to your local freecycle group -maybe pick up some minidisc stuff for free. I did to day get 15 minidisc for free.

http://www.freecycle.org/

I already have :D Not much tends to come up in my area however, but I keep my eyes open. Thanks!

So I'm not new to Minidisc (as the title says). It is a format I've been familiar with since ... 2003? 2004? I was at secondary (high) school at the time I had my first player.

It was a Sharp MD MT80, although for some strange reason, I could have sworn the screen and buttons were the opposite way around. Funny how memory works.

Back then it was recording music from a CD player track by track, which often helped kill boredom, but its not something I would have the patients for nowadays. Which is why, in my search to get back into the format, I aquired a NetMD device from eBay. It cost £30 and came with a charger, some discs, the software cd and all the cables. It is a Sony MZ-N510, which is fairly common I think, but its a damn good player/recorder.

I had trouble initially with aquiring SonicStage 4.3 but I found it, and I also had to get 64bit drivers too.

I am also going to get hold of a Minidisc seperate/deck/thing from a friend whose dad has two of them, a Sony MDS-JE440. It's going to cost me £10 (as opposed to £50 which is what he would ask elsewhere) as I'm a family friend, which is an awesome score. Looking forward to that. It was very important that the player I was looking for supports MDLP since I do my discs in LP2 mode. Many people on eBay do not state this and a lot of the photos I was looking at also don't reveal much. And are also considerably more expensive.

For portability and being out and about, I find that LP2 is fine, and from what I've played through my Hi-Fi, it also sounds perfectly fine. I can average about 3 albums per disc. Whether it will sound the same or not through the MDS I will have to wait and see, but I can't imagine there will be much of a difference.

I'm not entirely sure why I went back to Minidiscs ... I just remembered them one day and started missing them. Been using them ever since. I've also been looking at various discs with different designs but they often cost a bit more than my budget for such items would allow. I have bought some extra discs though, some rather nice Sony Premium discs that are gold coloured.

I will likely keep this post up to date with my progress regarding the MDS-JE440 and whatever else comes to mind.

Thanks for reading!

Welcome SileEeles,

I always try out MiniDisc about once a year but go back to my mp3 player because one thing or another frustrates me. This year I stuck with it because I found a practical mp3 recording solution (see "minidisc recording station thread). But I also went back because I missed creating compendiums. There is just something nice and neat and simple about chucking in a new disc to change the playlist. Not that I'm a luddite and I feel the need to say that I'm way above average with digital technology being a professional software developer/sysadmin. Yet most people would expect me to own an iPod and have my library in iTunes or something.

Like you, I burn most of my stuff with LP2 since I mainly record from hi-bitrate mp3 but I reserve SP for CD stuff and a few select favourites.

Good deal on the deck, let us know how you get on.

Welcome SileEeles,

I always try out MiniDisc about once a year but go back to my mp3 player because one thing or another frustrates me. This year I stuck with it because I found a practical mp3 recording solution (see "minidisc recording station thread). But I also went back because I missed creating compendiums. There is just something nice and neat and simple about chucking in a new disc to change the playlist. Not that I'm a luddite and I feel the need to say that I'm way above average with digital technology being a professional software developer/sysadmin. Yet most people would expect me to own an iPod and have my library in iTunes or something.

Like you, I burn most of my stuff with LP2 since I mainly record from hi-bitrate mp3 but I reserve SP for CD stuff and a few select favourites.

Good deal on the deck, let us know how you get on.

I can understand why you go back to mp3 players. For convenience reasons and also less to carry when I'm out and about I will at some point go back to my phone.

I'm not a fan of Androids stock media player but I use PowerAmp which is just awesome.

I think the main reason I got into MiniDiscs again was because I missed having that physical media. I mean I have CD's boxed up for one reason or another (mostly that they are all on the computer) but I just find that I'm a notourious track skipper on the computer. I don't think I've fully listened to an album for ages, and since I've had my portable player hooked up I've been through quite a lot, and I love it. The reason I am getting the MiniDisc deck is to further enforce that on myself. Put a disc in, let it play.

I also love, as you said, creating compendiums. I love gathering my favorite tracks and then copying them over so I can hear the tracks I want to in the order I want to etc.

well I wonder how many original hd ipods are still working that started the rot. For me minidisc is about the right size of entertainment that I need to take around with me. Mine uses AA batteries so I dont have to worry about lithium battery ageing. Also gives me about 12 hrs from a full charge. On another matter do u remember the days when makers tried to get to 100 hrs from one charge? Any one here tell us what the latest and greatest can get to?

well I wonder how many original hd ipods are still working that started the rot. For me minidisc is about the right size of entertainment that I need to take around with me. Mine uses AA batteries so I dont have to worry about lithium battery ageing. Also gives me about 12 hrs from a full charge. On another matter do u remember the days when makers tried to get to 100 hrs from one charge? Any one here tell us what the latest and greatest can get to?

My phone is apparently rated to do "430h" of standby time.

It can barely manage 24hrs, no phone can these days, so whats all that about? Why still rating it so high?

I'm not familiar with iPods and Apple crap in general, but as far as everything else I've ever had, the thing that actually lasts the longest is my Wii Remote hahaha. I had batteries in that for a month before I had to change them, and that was with solid use.

Another funny one happens to be the place where I live, they use electronic locks that are battery powered. They were changed recently after nine years. NINE years. Just regular AAA alkaline batteries.

My phone is apparently rated to do "430h" of standby time.

It can barely manage 24hrs, no phone can these days, so whats all that about? Why still rating it so high?

I'm not familiar with iPods and Apple crap in general, but as far as everything else I've ever had, the thing that actually lasts the longest is my Wii Remote hahaha. I had batteries in that for a month before I had to change them, and that was with solid use.

Another funny one happens to be the place where I live, they use electronic locks that are battery powered. They were changed recently after nine years. NINE years. Just regular AAA alkaline batteries.

For marketing maybe? I have started carry two phones - one a old style "candybar" phone for business and my usual HTC Desire HD. The candybar phone last about 1 week or a full charge (admittedly not many calls and texts) but I have to charge my Desire HD everyday and suffers the old glitch now and then. Granted, the candybar phone cannot show Google Maps or let me browse Reddit but I know which one I'd choose if I had to have a robust communications device.

One other thing I like about MiniDisc is that I'm now immune from everyone trying to tempt me with the latest greatest device. I have something that works and I can put my blinkers on for everything else. I think mp3 players are so cheap these days that they have to keep adding new gimmicks every year to keep sales steady.

For marketing maybe? I have started carry two phones - one a old style "candybar" phone for business and my usual HTC Desire HD. The candybar phone last about 1 week or a full charge (admittedly not many calls and texts) but I have to charge my Desire HD everyday and suffers the old glitch now and then. Granted, the candybar phone cannot show Google Maps or let me browse Reddit but I know which one I'd choose if I had to have a robust communications device.

One other thing I like about MiniDisc is that I'm now immune from everyone trying to tempt me with the latest greatest device. I have something that works and I can put my blinkers on for everything else. I think mp3 players are so cheap these days that they have to keep adding new gimmicks every year to keep sales steady.

Oh man the Desire HD. I had that thing for years and I loved it, possibly one of the best phones I've ever had.

I'm using a Galaxt S3 Mini at the moment which seems to do ok, bar needing a daily charge. I still have my Sony Ericson T610 candy bar phone from years ago, still works perfectly, and stays charged for days too.

So I got the MiniDisc deck, been playing with it all evening. As previously mentioned, it is a MDS-JE440.

You can look at a video I made

There was initially a problem with the device, in that the power connection was what can only be descriped as the same connector that a rechargable shaver has in the bathroom, looks like this:

brasil-uc-argentina-iram-power-cords-yhb

I can only assume that there was a UK plug fitted to it and that it was removed at some point, and since I don't have the adapter (one of these things) I just desoldered that wire from the unit and soldered in a regular cable and plug socked, which work perfectly.

The device is fantastic, I have only had a few hours with it since getting home, but I am looking forward to doing more with it, reserving my portable MZ-N510 for recording discs (NetMD) and when I go out. I tested all my discs breifly and they all work perfectly. I also tested the recording of it briefly which again, was perfect.

Overall, for a tenner, not a bad deal at all.

Yeah, add in optical out (easy) and you've got yourself effectively a 640.

I've never used Optical connections between devices. I used to have a stereo that used optical out from the CD player to the Amp but thats about it.

Optical's big advantage is that hum loops are gone forever. There are theoretical advantages too, keeping the sound digital, but the lack of electrical connection between devices is a big one for me.

Optical's big advantage is that hum loops are gone forever. There are theoretical advantages too, keeping the sound digital, but the lack of electrical connection between devices is a big one for me.

I will perhaps look into it at some point then. I know my computer has an optical out, and both my portable one and the deck have optical ins.

tumblr_mpo7fdbRqh1qfil6po1_500.jpg

This is what I seem to have acquired within the last couple weeks of being back into Minidiscs haha. And I still have more discs in the post. Also possibly looking at getting a blue Sony MZ-N710. I have no idea why.

I think the main reason I got into MiniDiscs again was because I missed having that physical media. I mean I have CD's boxed up for one reason or another (mostly that they are all on the computer) but I just find that I'm a notourious track skipper on the computer. I don't think I've fully listened to an album for ages, and since I've had my portable player hooked up I've been through quite a lot, and I love it. The reason I am getting the MiniDisc deck is to further enforce that on myself. Put a disc in, let it play.

I think that´s it in a nutshell (not nutcase!!). Couldn´t have put it better myself... it´s strange: after years of handling 'virtual' media (-> files on the PC) I enjoy it tremendously to handle physical media again, touching, changing, using it. I mean I still use CDs but once they are on the PC they sit on the shelf doing nothing. Using physical media like MD (which forces you to deal with media & the music) creates a connection to music I didn´t know I was missing until I started to use MD again.

Shouldn't that be 'nutshell'? Then again maybe you're right - we MD fans are nutters! :crazy:

Gosh, you´re right! Typical: non-native speakers trying to talk English... :heat:

Thanks!

I think that´s it in a nutshell (not nutcase!!). Couldn´t have put it better myself... it´s strange: after years of handling 'virtual' media (-> files on the PC) I enjoy it tremendously to handle physical media again, touching, changing, using it. I mean I still use CDs but once they are on the PC they sit on the shelf doing nothing. Using physical media like MD (which forces you to deal with media & the music) creates a connection to music I didn´t know I was missing until I started to use MD again.

Couldn't have put it better yourself, but I think you did :D

That's exactly it.

I'm currently in the process of trying to get more discs, but sealed discs, especially with the storage case (that let you fit up to 10 discs) can be quite pricey on eBay. And used discs, or large collections of used discs, can cost even more. There are sellers selling one disc at a time, sometimes two, which seems somewhat pointless to me, maybe they are easier to sell that way, and I have certainly bough some since they are cheap enough. But of course there are sellers trying to get £10 and up because a disc seems rare. Whilst I know there are many designs, and some are hard to come by, it seems a tad naughty to be charging that much for just ONE disc.

I'm currently in the process of trying to get more discs, but sealed discs, especially with the storage case (that let you fit up to 10 discs) can be quite pricey on eBay. And used discs, or large collections of used discs, can cost even more. There are sellers selling one disc at a time, sometimes two, which seems somewhat pointless to me, maybe they are easier to sell that way, and I have certainly bough some since they are cheap enough. But of course there are sellers trying to get £10 and up because a disc seems rare. Whilst I know there are many designs, and some are hard to come by, it seems a tad naughty to be charging that much for just ONE disc.

Yeah, it´s difficult to find sealed discs. I also don´t like to buy used discs; nobody knows how people treated them. Furthermore, some of my MD recorders react finnicky to certain discs (mostly Maxell) so I need to get brandnew ones to avoid possible problems. Do you prefer certain MDs? Because the last MD Sony released in Europe is quite good, reliable and can be found easily for cheap money. I also find the last Colour MDs TDK produced to be very good. One of the best MDs would be the TDK MD-RXG of course... and it´s not even rare. I´d avoid the ES-MDs from Sony (the white ones) as they change the sound too much (they indeed do, still don´t know why). Even worse: people usually drive up the price needlessly, just because they think that this particular might be superior to others. I´ve also seen high prices (around eight euros) for a singular disc, even for discs which aren´t rare. Some people are really greedy...

Yeah, it´s difficult to find sealed discs. I also don´t like to buy used discs; nobody knows how people treated them. Furthermore, some of my MD recorders react finnicky to certain discs (mostly Maxell) so I need to get brandnew ones to avoid possible problems. Do you prefer certain MDs? Because the last MD Sony released in Europe is quite good, reliable and can be found easily for cheap money. I also find the last Colour MDs TDK produced to be very good. One of the best MDs would be the TDK MD-RXG of course... and it´s not even rare. I´d avoid the ES-MDs from Sony (the white ones) as they change the sound too much (they indeed do, still don´t know why). Even worse: people usually drive up the price needlessly, just because they think that this particular might be superior to others. I´ve also seen high prices (around eight euros) for a singular disc, even for discs which aren´t rare. Some people are really greedy...

I've seen a couple of people post about issues with Maxell discs, its strange. I have yet to see a problem with them, indeed some of the last discs I bought were sealed Maxell 74 minute colour ones. Beyond that, the rest are Sony discs. I did see someone selling a Sony ES on eBay but for price reasons I said to myself "f*** that!" I did not know that they altered the sound too, so I will try to avoid them.

I have come across some MD-RXG discs and I love the design of it too, so I may consider getting some. At this point any sealed disc is fine by me but I have bought some previously just because they look pretty good. Are the last discs Sony released the Neige ones? I've been tempted to get some of them. They are clear plastic discs if I'm not mistaken and they are cheap, they only problem for me is delivery time, they are all from Japan. I also remember TDK colour discs from way back, but I've yet to see any so far that aren't used, which is a shame.

I've seen a couple of people post about issues with Maxell discs, its strange. I have yet to see a problem with them, indeed some of the last discs I bought were sealed Maxell 74 minute colour ones. Beyond that, the rest are Sony discs. I did see someone selling a Sony ES on eBay but for price reasons I said to myself "f*** that!" I did not know that they altered the sound too, so I will try to avoid them.

I have come across some MD-RXG discs and I love the design of it too, so I may consider getting some. At this point any sealed disc is fine by me but I have bought some previously just because they look pretty good. Are the last discs Sony released the Neige ones? I've been tempted to get some of them. They are clear plastic discs if I'm not mistaken and they are cheap, they only problem for me is delivery time, they are all from Japan. I also remember TDK colour discs from way back, but I've yet to see any so far that aren't used, which is a shame.

The Sony ES disc isn´t bad, don´t get me wrong... but some discs do indeed change the sound signature and I still don´t have any idea why. I´ve tried to measure it but I was unsuccessful in determining either an effect or a reason. The ES disc darkens the sound slightly which seems baffling to me when I consider that the disc itself is the same one that´s used for the Premium/Neige/Colour line. The only actual difference is the case.

The last MDs from Sony released here in Germany were these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/MDW80PR-Minidisc-Minute-blank-MDW-80PR/dp/B00CW9CL0Y/ref=sr_1_34?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1373817182&sr=1-34&keywords=minidisc

When freed from their shrinkwrap they look like this: https://picasaweb.google.com/minidisc.channel/SonyEurope#5299813430823497570

I don´t know if they were released in the UK too... but I guess that they were. As for the Neige discs: I have ten of them and like them a lot. They look nice, feel a bit flimsy and work without flaw. BTW, you can buy them at amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Neige-minute-blank-minidisc/dp/B0007MAJBQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1373817583&sr=1-1&keywords=minidisc

The last TDK colour MDs look like this: https://picasaweb.google.com/minidisc.channel/TdkEurope#5469046355255824034

The Sony ES disc isn´t bad, don´t get me wrong... but some discs do indeed change the sound signature and I still don´t have any idea why. I´ve tried to measure it but I was unsuccessful in determining either an effect or a reason. The ES disc darkens the sound slightly which seems baffling to me when I consider that the disc itself is the same one that´s used for the Premium/Neige/Colour line. The only actual difference is the case.

The last MDs from Sony released here in Germany were these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/MDW80PR-Minidisc-Minute-blank-MDW-80PR/dp/B00CW9CL0Y/ref=sr_1_34?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1373817182&sr=1-34&keywords=minidisc

When freed from their shrinkwrap they look like this: https://picasaweb.google.com/minidisc.channel/SonyEurope#5299813430823497570

I don´t know if they were released in the UK too... but I guess that they were. As for the Neige discs: I have ten of them and like them a lot. They look nice, feel a bit flimsy and work without flaw. BTW, you can buy them at amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Neige-minute-blank-minidisc/dp/B0007MAJBQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1373817583&sr=1-1&keywords=minidisc

The last TDK colour MDs look like this: https://picasaweb.google.com/minidisc.channel/TdkEurope#5469046355255824034

That is a crazy price for a 5 pack. Wow.

These are two of the Sony Premium Gold discs that I have (I have four total):

http://24.media.tumblr.com/83efb1d1ec166a16769dc4310d55e4c5/tumblr_mp9gpl8EBD1qfil6po1_500.jpg

As well two of the Sony Colour discs:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/826f6ba4cfb3c07dfbcfbb0270bc144f/tumblr_mp24s0JEnE1qfil6po1_500.jpg

I have some Maxell XL-II 74 discs and the as well as a few Maxell Colour discs and this was the last thing I bought:

Maxell 5 Sealed Discs with storage box

Which I am currently using to house my discs like this:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/df47f3a5abb1b58cb8dc397ab9c93c0b/tumblr_mpy09vVzsf1qfil6po1_500.jpg

Which actually works really well. It involved some modification and super-glue (obviously whilst the discs weren't in there) but I am already going to buy another since the seller has more. As far as my favorites go ... Hmmm ... The premium Golds I have just look awesome. I also love disc colours like Orange and Red. As far as brands go, at this point I'm not tooooo fussed, since I'm just happy to be getting discs.

Which actually works really well. It involved some modification and super-glue (obviously whilst the discs weren't in there) but I am already going to buy another since the seller has more. As far as my favorites go ... Hmmm ... The premium Golds I have just look awesome. I also love disc colours like Orange and Red. As far as brands go, at this point I'm not tooooo fussed, since I'm just happy to be getting discs.

If you like your Premium Golds stay with them, they are good. No-nonsense discs working perfectly... the same for the Colour MDs. I have... don´t know, 'bout 20-30 and they all work without flaw.

For storing I use something from Ikea :D

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30219361/

You can´t see the discs of course but they fit perfectly and they don´t collect dust.