Sony MZ-RH1 Jog Lever Problem Solved?

Rate this topic

I recently retested an RH1 belonging to a well known member of the forum prior to returning it from repair. It's only a few weeks since declaring it fixed, but already the annoying problem with the jog lever had returned. Up to now I have always relied to a spray cleaner to alleviate the random non-functioning of this multi-contact switch, but it was obviously not enough in this case. So I steeled myself and decided to try something more extreme.

Thankfully I had a damaged switch to try this out on first, which is a good job as I managed to break it first time! But I have now developed a method of opening up this switch so I can access and clean the contacts. Not recommended for the feint-hearted! What did come as a shock is that the contacts are not precious metal, and so suffer from the same tarnish that affects many of Sony's other products, including the rotary jog dials of the NH series, many remote controls, and so on.

Once I had carefully cleaned the contacts and lightly lubricated with silicone grease (hoping this will prevent the return of any oxidization for as long as possible), everything seems fine. So that is one more of the RH1's annoying little problems solved.

Please note to anyone else trying this: the components are very small and easily lost. You need a very fine soldering iron, and a lot of skill using it. It is very easy to melt plastic and render the switch unusable, and all too easy to break the electrical contacts which are tiny. And should you cause permanent damage, getting hold of a replacement switch or whole display board is not easy or cheap. You have been warned!

Jim

Hi JIm.

great to read that news,I was always lucky with "tuner 600" spray until now.I onve had a RH1 with that problem where a small copper plate, possibly from the isolation on the back? went inside the switch.I could get it out and it was still unusable.After some spraying with tuner 600 and up-downs it is fine till now.

btw did you ever manage to get out the display itself? i tried but gave up :D

and iam still searching for a battery door for one of my RH1´s ;)