New blanks still being made in 2013

Rate this topic

netmduser

md-80rx_clearshell.jpg

http://victor-media.co.jp/media/audio/md-80rx/index.html

d2WNKLr.jpg

found text from another forum john

7 Years have passed since the last MD release back in 2006.

Now in 2013 Victor (Jvc japan) release this
This is also the first MD from Victor since Taiyo yuden acquired the company.

Would have been nice if it was a That's (taiyo yuden) labeled MD
but is still made under Victor-taiyo yuden era.

md-80rx_clearshell.jpg

d2WNKLr.jpg

found text from another forum john

7 Years have passed since the last MD release back in 2006.

Now in 2013 Victor (Jvc japan) release this

This is also the first MD from Victor since Taiyo yuden acquired the company.

Would have been nice if it was a That's (taiyo yuden) labeled MD

but is still made under Victor-taiyo yuden era.

good find :good: but are these really new stock? exiting if japan are still producing MD recordable discs and as another poster said it might be a good idea to contact them for HIMD stock and find out if there are plans to produce these too.

aren't victor listed somewhere as decent quality discs? never seen or used them. I have a tdk water colour disc unopened and a HIMD blue disc as well opened but still unused and two more that are in use and two five packs of standard sony 80 min colour shock ones unopenend bought in sainsburys of all places 5 or 6 years ago for like 5 quid so should be ok for a while.

good find once again hope you stumble upon a supplier of HIMD sometime soon though I feel this is a long shot.

It's unlikely that any third party will ever make HiMD disks (1GB) as they are more complex physically. So a different manufacturing process from regular disks.

Sony were the only ones to make them.

Your best chance is to find a wholesaler who had some stock and forgot about it.

A staff member posted the new production introduction here https://shop.victor-media.co.jp/blog/know_how/3411

here is translation

Hello, this is Em .
This time , our Victor Advanced Media was launched ( June 2013 ) last month , I will introduce a mini disk (MD) new products .

MD new products this time ,
Cassette shell is clear orthodox type simple .
· Putting in and out is easy one side is turned to the opening in the sleeve type of case to protect the cassette shell .
Index seal in write recorded content such as song title, is attached to the cassette shell is attached.
Product Image of MD-80RX5, MD-80RX10

It is a mini disk new products launched in June 2013 .

☆ Introduction of new products page ( site of Victor Advanced Media Co., Ltd. )

Digital audio player to record music data such as MP3 format in semiconductor memory has become the mainstream of portable music players in recent years , but before that , MD, of the main portable music player through the mid- 2000s from the 1990s was one . And there is a convenience not found in digital audio player to make use of semiconductor memory to MD, MD users are woven quite a few today.

By the way , convenience general MD, think of the author ,
- Easy to carry because it is thin small . Also space-saving storage than on the CD.
And convenience to be able to record and store and organize on separate disks for each theme genre , and artists .
· Can be played on MD players or portable stationary , mini disc recorded .
• After recording , you can easily erase in the music unit , recording of hours of songs that can be erased again . ( . Can be recorded repeatedly )
- Recording and reproduction is performed in a state where the shutter closure is opened to have been sealed cartridge made ​​of resin material harder (the cassette shell) , and is set to MD players to use the disk . Cassette shell disk storage , the shutter is protected without the disk is exposed to are closed when the carry handle is convenient .
· It is also possible that it is possible to put the index seal write characters such as title to identify and differentiate inside the cassette shell MD, Changing applier its seal.
· MD recording and playback equipment can be used alone , connection and operation of a PC is not required .

Portable audio player is popular is intended to be used as storage media semiconductor memory now. It is a situation that is used as an audio player of mechanism such as smartphones like this often . Some of them to record and playback using the semiconductor memory of a detachable small , such as a micro SD card , but you can use it to transfer music data from a PC to a semiconductor memory built into the player many . These are the feature that useful as a portable small , but fill space of character has not been secured almost so small , recorded content is difficult to understand from the appearance . Or alternatively , try listening to actually Therefore, If you want to know what you have recorded , if there is such as a liquid crystal display for display on the player , you will be able to display the contents , but the computer can be connected to the PC otherwise I do not know the contents if you do not display on the monitor display .

In addition , there is a CD player that can be used as a portable (CD-R, CD-RW) a CD of the recording , you are eligible for comparison , but it is slightly inconvenient because a little big in size as portable . On the other hand , can be written and the text title and it is convenient label side of the CD recording disk is a broader space .

Finally , I try to compare differences in each method of recording " sound quality " .
In a format audio player of semiconductor memory type and MD also encode the data on the CD of the sound source in general , to compress the playback data amount per unit time record to ( recording ) . The amount of data per second is the biggest in music playback Among these it becomes the CD. If you do so , it is looks good think most high-quality sound simply the CD , but it can not be said is unlikely .
Because , at the time of ( compression of the amount of audio data ) encoding of the sound source , the sound quality will vary depending on environment to play also , depending on the performance of the equipment to be encoded and the encoding method , and sensitivity of the listener also different above all decide categorically relative merits of sound quality by recording method is difficult because it is . It is thought that the difference will become as can be seen in many listeners when compared to the playback environment more ideal for each recording method .

Stay tuned for next time .

the blogger summarizes quite nicely,

• md users are woven

A staff member posted the new production introduction here https://shop.victor-media.co.jp/blog/know_how/3411

here is translation

Hello, this is Em .

This time , our Victor Advanced Media was launched ( June 2013 ) last month , I will introduce a mini disk (MD) new products .

MD new products this time ,

Cassette shell is clear orthodox type simple .

· Putting in and out is easy one side is turned to the opening in the sleeve type of case to protect the cassette shell .

Index seal in write recorded content such as song title, is attached to the cassette shell is attached.

Product Image of MD-80RX5, MD-80RX10

It is a mini disk new products launched in June 2013 .

☆ Introduction of new products page ( site of Victor Advanced Media Co., Ltd. )

Digital audio player to record music data such as MP3 format in semiconductor memory has become the mainstream of portable music players in recent years , but before that , MD, of the main portable music player through the mid- 2000s from the 1990s was one . And there is a convenience not found in digital audio player to make use of semiconductor memory to MD, MD users are woven quite a few today.

By the way , convenience general MD, think of the author ,

- Easy to carry because it is thin small . Also space-saving storage than on the CD.

And convenience to be able to record and store and organize on separate disks for each theme genre , and artists .

· Can be played on MD players or portable stationary , mini disc recorded .

• After recording , you can easily erase in the music unit , recording of hours of songs that can be erased again . ( . Can be recorded repeatedly )

- Recording and reproduction is performed in a state where the shutter closure is opened to have been sealed cartridge made ​​of resin material harder (the cassette shell) , and is set to MD players to use the disk . Cassette shell disk storage , the shutter is protected without the disk is exposed to are closed when the carry handle is convenient .

· It is also possible that it is possible to put the index seal write characters such as title to identify and differentiate inside the cassette shell MD, Changing applier its seal.

· MD recording and playback equipment can be used alone , connection and operation of a PC is not required .

Portable audio player is popular is intended to be used as storage media semiconductor memory now. It is a situation that is used as an audio player of mechanism such as smartphones like this often . Some of them to record and playback using the semiconductor memory of a detachable small , such as a micro SD card , but you can use it to transfer music data from a PC to a semiconductor memory built into the player many . These are the feature that useful as a portable small , but fill space of character has not been secured almost so small , recorded content is difficult to understand from the appearance . Or alternatively , try listening to actually Therefore, If you want to know what you have recorded , if there is such as a liquid crystal display for display on the player , you will be able to display the contents , but the computer can be connected to the PC otherwise I do not know the contents if you do not display on the monitor display .

In addition , there is a CD player that can be used as a portable (CD-R, CD-RW) a CD of the recording , you are eligible for comparison , but it is slightly inconvenient because a little big in size as portable . On the other hand , can be written and the text title and it is convenient label side of the CD recording disk is a broader space .

Finally , I try to compare differences in each method of recording " sound quality " .

In a format audio player of semiconductor memory type and MD also encode the data on the CD of the sound source in general , to compress the playback data amount per unit time record to ( recording ) . The amount of data per second is the biggest in music playback Among these it becomes the CD. If you do so , it is looks good think most high-quality sound simply the CD , but it can not be said is unlikely .

Because , at the time of ( compression of the amount of audio data ) encoding of the sound source , the sound quality will vary depending on environment to play also , depending on the performance of the equipment to be encoded and the encoding method , and sensitivity of the listener also different above all decide categorically relative merits of sound quality by recording method is difficult because it is . It is thought that the difference will become as can be seen in many listeners when compared to the playback environment more ideal for each recording method .

Stay tuned for next time .

the blogger summarizes quite nicely,

• md users are woven

ha ha ha :lol2: it translates very funny. however what is not funny is the apparent enthusiasm this blogger has still for the product, not to mention you taking the time to google translate the page and post it also. the other fascinating aspect of the info for me is the date of release which is just june past 2013, this is very interesting indeed, and a revelation for the MD fan, keeps hope alive for media supply at least, now lets hope a manufacturer out there make recorder units again.

it was said earlier by another member that these discs have a plastic shutter and whilst I prefer the sony and other branded discs with the metal shutter I archived my entire CD collection 10 years ago onto maxell xl-11 80 min discs about 12 or 13 of them, this is what started me on the mini disc. well these maxell discs I used then too had the plastic shutter and where made in japan and I have never had a problem with them 10 years on, by the way they where recorded at lp4 and sound fantastic, so no reason to believe these victor ones wont be the same. good find :good:

I was very curious what the blogger had to say. Perhaps some new pertinent info was awaiting so I spent a few seconds using the translator.

However after a few readings it becomes quiet clear - hard media formats are hard to sell let alone a minidisc format in 2013. Perhaps the media division is going all out to increase sales. The blogger starts of by mentioning a new product is kicked off for 2013 then goes on to explain this was the format commonly used circa. 1990 to mid 2000s before mp3 players took over. Finally the virtues of the format, re-recordability, smaller than CD, enclosed casing and listening environment are mentioned.

How long will physical media be around? Vinyl seems to be reborn...I saw new vinyl records at HMV a few months ago???. Cassette Tapes still used around the world.

You are correct a manufactuer needs to repackage minidisc and come out with a new player/recorder to accompany these shiny new blanks.

update on these discs. iam not to handy with a computer so don't know how to do a link to a web page or bring up a photo but these disc are for sale on ebay sent from japan at I guess an ok price.

sony neige 80 min 10 pack is £ 12.76 free delivery

tdk 80 min 10 pack is £ 11.53 free delivery

sony neige 74 min 10 pack £ 11.48 free delivery

victor 80 min 10 pack £ 12.17 free delivery

all brand new with bold wording like NEW FRESH and FACTORY SEALED ect. a couple of sellers similar prices some cheaper some more expensive ive included the cheaper ones all have near 100% feedback.

the 5 packs of the same type are delivered for just under £9 so more cost effective to go for the 10 packs id imagine. the TDK would be the better ones here I think the sony neige ones I believe aren't as good as the sony colour shock for example. anyhow there you go......cheers.

It's unexpected but very welcome to see a manufacturer releasing a new model of blank disc in 2013. I know Sony still make their Premium discs and I think HHB in England still produce their Professional MD80 but these are both models that have been around for several years.

Since we have now seen that not all media companies have given up on MiniDisc, maybe a company such as Victor may consider releasing a last extra special series of disc designs as a swan song for the format (not that I want a swan song you understand but I know blank production can't last forever).

I have a tdk water colour disc unopened and a HIMD blue disc as well opened but still unused and two more that are in use and two five packs of standard sony 80 min colour shock ones unopenend bought in sainsburys of all places 5 or 6 years ago for like 5 quid so should be ok for a while.

Yes I remember Sainsbury's selling off their stock of Sony md disc - I got about 10 packs at the time. I wasnt the only one though to buy them, they went quick. I think they were £2.50 a pack? a really good deal! Nice discs also. Still have most of them un opened together with quite a few nice JVC Crystal ones

Yes I remember Sainsbury's selling off their stock of Sony md disc - I got about 10 packs at the time. I wasnt the only one though to buy them, they went quick. I think they were £2.50 a pack? a really good deal! Nice discs also. Still have most of them un opened together with quite a few nice JVC Crystal ones

that was the ones and that was the price. got the last 2 packs in the holywood branch co.down n.ireland, asked was there more in store was told there wasn't. went to a couple of Belfast sainsburys and they where out too. also got some in Tesco around the same time. got some tdk colour ones the other day off ebay for 0.99 for 3 unopenend but £2.50 delivery! loads of deals on the bay to be had.

people selling himd players with 1GB discs for peanuts too, obviously unaware of how rare and expensive 1GB discs are. people are getting real bargains.

• 7 months later...

It is now May 2014 and I am still buying minidisc and 1GB HI-MDs via ebay bidding or Amazon.com. Sony 5 pack Premium 80m and 74m are selling for about 20-30 dollars US new and sealed if you can find them as those sales are now scarce. One year ago the same purchase was 15-17 dollars US on ebay. Sony 8 pack color disc with case are extremely scarce and now run as high as 35-45 dollars US (I currently avoid making these purchases). One year ago the cost was 15-20 dollars US on ebay. New and sealed Sony Neige 10 pack 80m and 74m minidisc (made in Jamaica, I believe) are selling for 17-22 dollars US, most disc being shipped from sellers in Japan but a few US sellers on ebay and Amazon.com have supplies in stock here in the US. I also see a few ads for new Victor 80 min 5 or 10 pack minidisc for sale on ebay for about 15-20 dollars US or less.

Due to the long life of minidisc there is a market for used minidisc some of which I have also purchased at a lower premium than new and sealed minidisc with no problems from ebay. Most of my used minidisc purchases include cases that hold five minidisc but I do pay a little more as there is a premium for those plastic cases. All my current 1GB HI-MD purchases are used disc purchases averaging about 14-15 dollars US per disc, with me making buys of 4-5 disc from a single seller as far away as Australia. Buying used 1GB HI-MD here in the states now run 21-25 US per disc which I avoid. New 1GB HI-MDs are 40-50 dollars US which I also avoid.

I have purchased a number of backup minidisc and HI-MD recorders so I feel I am ready to continue my 15 year run with the minidisc for an indefinite period of time well into the next decade.....long live the minidisc.

Connoisseur, from what I understand, Sony is still producing Neige minidisc in Jamaica but you would not be able to place order with Sony. Not sure as to the why but if you are serious about using minidisc into the future, I would continue purchasing all you can afford now online as this could all turn on a dime.

Same here AVITWeb. I have bought 40 Neige and 40 Victor Clear this year, all from Amazon. The Neige came to me in two days from a warehouse in Kentucky and the Victors came from a seller in Japan and took a week or more to arrive.

Some great prices for halfway decent blanks. I think if I stockpile anymore, my wife might start complaining! ;-)

• 1 month later...

Well I've just been on the Victor/JVC Japan website and, as unlikely as it might seem, they have just finished a new production run of their AR Color Mix discs.

Maybe they are selling more new stock than we would expect.  Good to see. :good:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwww.victor.co.jp%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D644&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=ja&u=http://victor-media.co.jp/media/audio/&usg=ALkJrhh-mFhNB0kBMhce6IvOJA0B-b6SjQ

Intersting that the packaging for these discs has the HMV "His Master's Voice" logo on it.

Very well, Jimma.
The Ar shown are perfectly identical to those produced in 2002, Ar first series.
I honestly don't understand why producing the first series rather than the second, aesthetically the most beautiful is the second.
If the Victor decided to resume the production of mds, producing a "new" model after model in 2013, it is likely that sales have been very helpful friendly staff.
It is also to say that Victor did not spent even a penny for the design.
Greetings at all
Sergio

• 5 weeks later...

n.o.s.  = New old stock

I have six five packs of these unopened, 80 minute variety as well.  I have often wondered their true value.  It all depends on what the market will bear, I have not seen too many for sale in the last couple of years.  There was someone selling 25 packs on eBay.com a couple of years ago for 180 USD, that seemed a little steep to me at the time.

They are definitely nice blanks, in my opinion the nicest Sony blanks I own.

n.o.s.  = New old stock

I have six five packs of these unopened, 80 minute variety as well.  I have often wondered their true value.  It all depends on what the market will bear, I have not seen too many for sale in the last couple of years.  There was someone selling 25 packs on eBay.com a couple of years ago for 180 USD, that seemed a little steep to me at the time.

They are definitely nice blanks, in my opinion the nicest Sony blanks I own.

Are really nice ES.

1 or 2 edition?

In japanese market you can buy a lot of mds sealed at 1 euro / each; aside rare MDs, really limited edition or rare brands, the only " high price " MDs are ES; i ve seen a 5 - 74 pack, don t remember if 1 or 2 edition, sell at 30 $.

A nice day to all

Sergio

Unfortunately, The blank media doesn't made anymore in Korea. During early part of this year. I have found the manager of the factory, cause of the blank media made in our country, Korea. However, He says to me. They don't make the blanks media anymore after 2014, Jan. The line has closed.. I think any blanks doesn't made now. In this time, we spend the only remain blanks. It's really sad..