MD Players - Puzzled

Rate this topic

Another MD fanatic

Back when I had very little blanks or discs in general, it was something I preferred, indeed the reason I chose my first unit was the fact that it came with a few discs. Now I have more than I know what to do with, but even now I'd go for a player that includes discs over one that doesn't, unless I'm after a very specific thing.

I've come across what you talk about however. There was an eBay item I was interested in, a Goodmans GMD-16RB. It came with a few discs and I think it was listed for spare parts since the seller couldn't test it properly (he said he thinks the discs are blank), but not a lot of other information was given. If you don't realise that it is a player ONLY, it really doesn't help. I left it, but I'm still interested in the GMD-16RB, and if it comes with discs, awesome, if not, not a big loss. Sealed discs are sometimes hard to find for a decent price, and someone getting rid of theirs is alright by me, even if you don't know the condition they come in. They could be handing you some pretty cool discs, as I experienced recently.

Yes, I fully understand that some people are glad to get their hands on any discs, especially new ones. I was myself at one time, until I'd accumulated quite a few. It was just the principle behind it that I was deliberating.

And for the benefit of those not in the UK, Goodmans are still around and is a very popular brand here. But be aware, Goodmans branded products are usually very much at the budget end of the market so don't expect miracles.

Can't speak for the Goodmans MD's specifically but I had a Goodmans CD player & amp about 15 years ago (was all I could afford at the time), all I'll say is they definitely weren't the best!

The parts inside one are all Sharp, so I assume it came out of the Sharp factory. In the UK, Goodmans is a re-badger, as are now the likes of Bush and a few others...

I have a GMD-16RB. The sound quality on the unit is pretty good but the battery life is poor (about 4 hours playback from one AA battery). The main downside though, is that the unit itself has no controls on it except for the hold switch. All the other buttons are on the remote only meaning that if the remote becomes lost or faulty, the whole player is rendered useless unless a new remote can be found (good luck with that!).