SONY MD JE510 AND MP3'S

Rate this topic

gt64

Hello,Going through a loft clear-out I came across my je510 mini-disc player which I was going to put on ebay.However on switching it on I remembered it had a fault whereby after ejecting a disc it it kept on trying to eject.Googled it and found the fix on this excellent site using black sparky's tape and have fixed it.Hooked it up to my little rotel 921 amp to test it before putting it on ebay and re-discovered what good hi-fi is all about after several years of using mp3's through weak sounding dvd/blu ray players.Now I'm thinking could I use the digital inputs to use the 510 as a kind of dac possibly to play my mp3's through.Is it possible or could I use my remaining 40 or so recordable mini-discs to play mp3 format files.Have dusted off my Marantz cd63se with a drawer fault which was lying in the same box as the 510 and will be having a go at that.I'm not too technically minded so any answers would have to be plain English,anglo-saxon or otherwise!

You could connect up your mp3 player if it has a digital output into the digital in on the MD deck.

Then use the analogue outputs to feed an amp.

You just put the MD deck in rec pause for it to work as a dac then.

Mp3s would have to be converted with sonicstage software to work on MD disks.

Thanks for that,will be browsing ebay for a suitable mp3 player and try it out.

Why don´t you hook up your mp3-capable player to the Sony 510 with a digital cable? Most mp3-capable DVD players are able to give out a digital signal when playing mp3.

The only portable player with a digital out that comes to mind right now is the FiiO X3. http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?MenuID=105026016

Or at Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-X3-Portable-MP3-Player/dp/B00DQBWY04/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385044169&sr=8-1&keywords=fiio+x3

MP3 playback isn´t yet error free, but I´m sure that it will be soon fixed with a firmware update.

The alternatives - if it should be portable - are older players by for example iRiver.

• Like 1