Hi-MD 1GB BLANKS

Rate this topic

teabag

I was thinking I would put them on Ebay but if anyone wants to make me an offer I can't refuse ...... ??? I also have another 11 1GB discs recorded on once and 25 'standard 80' md's new in packs of 5 unopened.

How much for the 1GB Hi-MDs? Would you transact with seller outside US? I'm from the Philippines and I an MZ-NH900.. These Hi-MDs would complete the armory.

My experience, FWIW, is that 1GB disks are much more likely to die. The technology is really pushing storage by this method to its limits, and it doesn't seem to take much to unsettle it. I have wasted days testing a repaired HiMD unit only to discover that the test disk was no good. Seems like some activities can cause the disk to get into an unusable state. In part this is may be because the title or at least volume info may be recorded in a different (legacy) format from the rest of the disk.

Jim Hoggarth reports the same.

• 4 weeks later...

My experience, FWIW, is that 1GB disks are much more likely to die. The technology is really pushing storage by this method to its limits, and it doesn't seem to take much to unsettle it. I have wasted days testing a repaired HiMD unit only to discover that the test disk was no good. Seems like some activities can cause the disk to get into an unusable state. In part this is may be because the title or at least volume info may be recorded in a different (legacy) format from the rest of the disk.

Jim Hoggarth reports the same.

Do you have this same unreliability experience with classic MDs once they are formatted in Hi-MD mode ?

Not at all. It seems to be a function of the disk, not the recorder or format.

As a side note, I would like to add that the (rare) double density MD Data2 minidiscs are as reliable as regular MDs. I never experimented a failure with these, despite intensive use.

I always thought that 640Mb MD Data2 minidiscs were the optimal step up regarding density. I have lost the contents of two HiMDs, and stopped using them after the second failure.

That's interesting philippeb, I never realized there were two different densities designed for the MD Data storage scheme. I wonder, how long did the Data2 format predate the HiMD 1GB technology disks?

I never use HiMD disks any longer, I never had a problem but my use of them was limited because I really liked the sound of realtim SP recording over HiSP.

I will occasionally format a standard MD as HiMD and store three hours or so of music at HiSP.

That's interesting philippeb, I never realized there were two different densities designed for the MD Data storage scheme. I wonder, how long did the Data2 format predate the HiMD 1GB technology disks?

The Data2 discs were made in the good old days of ATRAC 4.5, when SP and Mono were the only options. Sadly, Sony built only one recorder for the Data2 discs, the DCM-M1 camera, that did not sell well, and was quickly abandoned, along with the format.

The DCM-M1 could record 4h20mn of SP sound on one Data2 disc, from the built-in microphone or the line-in, and play them to headphones or line-out. The DCM-M1 could also play regular MDs, but could not record them.

As a side note, I would like to add that the (rare) double density MD Data2 minidiscs are as reliable as regular MDs. I never experimented a failure with these, despite intensive use.

I always thought that 640Mb MD Data2 minidiscs were the optimal step up regarding density. I have lost the contents of two HiMDs, and stopped using them after the second failure.

It seems to me that regular MD's are 150MB, not 300, so (perhaps) they should have been called MD Data4?!?