MD going up in popularity?

Rate this topic

Soundbox

It seems to me (at least in the UK) that MD is becoming more popular. The prices on eBay are up across the board, no longer do I find machines for sale in the Cash Converters and even overpriced 'long time lurking' items have sold. What is fuelling this?

Most of us here have the machines we want and yet something is driving the prices up. I know that in a couple of recent issues of HiFi magazines they have run articles praising the format but that was only select machines.

It is a shame really as I have not seen a tempting bargain for a good few months. The last one was a MZ-NH900 portable with discs and accessories for £20.

What are your thoughts on this?

I've seen a slight increase in "retro tech" articles that mention MiniDisc in the last year. There have also been a few about Sony and other manufacturers stopping production of hardware, discs etc.

I think this attracts speculators who then compete with normal MD fans for used goods which increases demand and pushes up the prices.

Try gumtree - I find the prices there are not silly and you can set-up watch alerts to find used MD gear in your locality.

The same situation in Poland. I've noticed a slight increase in prices and lack of new offers (especially in HiMD equipment).

You can compare prices to yours. First link is "polish ebay", second is "polish gumtree".

http://allegro.pl/listing/listing.php?string=minidisc&search_scope=
http://tablica.pl/oferty/?q=minidisc

Arr-Nine-Hundred, as you mentioned watch alerts on tablica.pl are great, you don't need to read old offers over and over, you just click "show new unseen offers" and specify a region. :D

• 1 month later...

I used to buy up auction lots on Ebay with anywhere from 20-50 minidiscs in them for like $20 or so, but that was a couple of years ago (like 2010 or so). Now, I'm finding 2 or 3 singles minidiscs selling for that much. That was a fun time going through all the music that was on them although most of it wasn't my style. It was still fun though. I miss being able to do that.

Most people that I know have only heard of minidisc because I mention them a good bit. I wish I would've gotten into them back in the 90's instead of the early 2000's.

• 2 weeks later...

You can still get the blank minidiscs from eBay and Amazon sellers.

Agreed, I have picked up another 80 Sony Neige and Victor Clear blanks in the past month. It's a sickness for me really, I need to stop buying them! But the prices on Amazon are at least 25 - 50% lower than eBay if you can settle for these two varieties which I have always liked.

• Like 1

what? Neige and Clear Victor Discs are aboout 1$ each at eb4y so how coould it be any cheaper on amazon ?

I really didn´t take a look at am4zon but i think the prices are great for acquiring some new ones at the moment.

Got myself some packs as well .. nah let´s same plenty ;)

. It´ll be funny when delivery comes in as my courier i already is asking what iam ordering all the time from japan :D

• 3 weeks later...

I was browsing through Gumtree and I wish I could offer them loads of cash just to get my hands on one of those RH-1/MZ-M200 machines (saw one going for 250 Pounds --something I could afford more than the prices on Ebay). Then I thought, how come there isn't such a site available in America? Then I realized, right, America wasn't interested in this format. *slumps down*

There IS a site something like Gumtree in the U.S....Craigslist. Not too long ago, I found what appears to be a NM MDS-JB930 there, for 80 USD. Although MD is far more prevalent and well-known in the the UK than in the US, now and then things do turn up. You're in Brooklyn, Xircuits? Probably more of a selection on Craigslist than here in the Boston area. Check it out, if you haven't.

I troll Craigslist, but unfortunately that infamous RH1/MZ-M200 never shows up. :-( Nor do the Hi-MD discs. I only wanted 1 to keep as novelty. I won an auction on Ebay for 2 Hi-MDs back in November, but they got lost/stolen in the mail. I never saw them, and had to fight Ebay tooth and nail for my money back. It's really disappointing.

I completely agree! It's like when a celebrity passes away and suddenly autograph process skyrocketI just hope Sony is paying attention to this popularity spike.

Just a notice, I recently lost an auction by $5.50 on Ebay for 2 Hi-md units and about 26 Hi-mds and over 125 regular MDs this past weekend, but just got an email from EBay for a second chance offer and took it. Just paid for it. So happy. :-D After this, I will solely focus on getting my hands on that "Cadillac" and then I'm done. No more shopping for minidiscs.