MZ-N1 wanted

Rate this topic

sonii

Hi:

I am looking for MZ-N1. Could be a used one, provided it is functional , clean , no scratches or paint chip , etc. I don't require accessories or the manual, just the recorder unit. Silver preferred.

Please reply with price (preferrably under 45 US, realistic??). Ideally , I can purchase through your Ebay account, etc.

post-132032-0-80028900-1396049380_thumb.

Forgive my asking, but WHY the N1? There are plenty of machines out there that use all the same accessories.....

Just because it is the oldest/earliest one with recording capability in the NET MD lineup. I have a budget and hopefully people can sell one within my price range. I wouldn't ask for the lastest one at my price range.

Much better to get something newer.

What features do you need?

Nothing fancy, I am happy with the features as in the MZ-N1. As said I have a budget , I can't go for too high end. I had a MZ-N1 , but the damn ribbon cable inside it broke due to extremely low temperature (my fault, not paying attention to the recommended operating temperature).

And now you got a player ?

I share sfbp´s opinion in getting a newer Model at first instance. You can get cheap NetMd models like the N505 for example.That would be half the cost of a working N1 i think

For listening purpose you could still use your N1.

If its only about using a machine for NetMd that would be the best solution.

I do have quite some ones that are partly broken like bad display etc but play and rec fine.Like a N910 for example.I am thinking to sell some spare units to clean my collection.

Where are you in the World ? If its europe then possibly the postage wouldn´t break the frame.

Hi:

I am looking for MZ-N1. Could be a used one, provided it is functional , clean , no scratches or paint chip , etc. I don't require accessories or the manual, just the recorder unit. Silver preferred.

Please reply with price (preferrably under 45 US, realistic??). Ideally , I can purchase through your Ebay account, etc.

I still have one available and have sent a reply to your query.

I also have couple of working N1 units I would be happy to sell for cheap. It was my first smallish NetMD (first NetMD made if I recall) and I always love the form factor of the unit. I would let a working unit go for 30 USD plus you pay shipping costs.

And now you got a player ?

I share sfbp´s opinion in getting a newer Model at first instance. You can get cheap NetMd models like the N505 for example.That would be half the cost of a working N1 i think

For listening purpose you could still use your N1.

If its only about using a machine for NetMd that would be the best solution.

I do have quite some ones that are partly broken like bad display etc but play and rec fine.Like a N910 for example.I am thinking to sell some spare units to clean my collection.

Where are you in the World ? If its europe then possibly the postage wouldn´t break the frame.

I am using a Sony mp3 stick (it does record voice, etc but you can not attach a microphone , it is one of those built-in crap) , but good base and easy to use. No moving parts, nothing to break.

The MZ-n505 has a few features less than the MZ-n1 and is thicker. As mentioned, I used to have the MZ-N1 and enjoyed it for many years until the cold broke the ribbon cable inside ~~ R.I.P

If all you need is the ability to transfer recorded music from CD then I would go for an MZ-DN430. It's made from the later (latest) version of the DSP chip known as Type-S, so the reproduction is a little better than the N1, which dates from the days of Type-R (over 13 years ago!). The other option is (for outdoor use) the MZ-S1.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MZ-S1-S2-Sports-Net-MD-MiniDisc-Recorder-Player-/181133218205

If you need a mike, then the picture changes considerably, however.

General consensus is that these are both good machines. Where in our fair land are you located? (admins know these things). I might be persuaded to part with something I have myself (not an S1, though).

Here's another one for an auction ending soon in your price range which has a microphone input:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDLP-NET-MD-Walkman-MZ-N707-Mini-Disc-Player-Recorder-Portable-Minidisc/151260393659

My point being that this is a reasonable model to use. They can also get busted ribbon cable but you may be lucky - the one in the picture doesn't look like it's been abused.

The N1 may be nice shapewise, but the big advantage of the units I listed here is that they all use AA battery. YMMV :)

If all you need is the ability to transfer recorded music from CD then I would go for an MZ-DN430. It's made from the later (latest) version of the DSP chip known as Type-S, so the reproduction is a little better than the N1, which dates from the days of Type-R (over 13 years ago!). The other option is (for outdoor use) the MZ-S1.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MZ-S1-S2-Sports-Net-MD-MiniDisc-Recorder-Player-/181133218205

If you need a mike, then the picture changes considerably, however.

General consensus is that these are both good machines. Where in our fair land are you located? (admins know these things). I might be persuaded to part with something I have myself (not an S1, though).

Here's another one for an auction ending soon in your price range which has a microphone input:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDLP-NET-MD-Walkman-MZ-N707-Mini-Disc-Player-Recorder-Portable-Minidisc/151260393659

My point being that this is a reasonable model to use. They can also get busted ribbon cable but you may be lucky - the one in the picture doesn't look like it's been abused.

The N1 may be nice shapewise, but the big advantage of the units I listed here is that they all use AA battery. YMMV :)

Thanks for the recommendations. I guess I want the MZ-N1 for nostalgic reason since I am using Sony mp3 stick now , it survived the temperature test since there is no moving parts. I don't think I could transfer anything to and from my computer with the minidisc player because Sony refuses to write a 64-bit driver for this device. I can only record the music onto the disc using line-in , fortunately , the recording doesn't sound bad , it is just a slower process.

I don't think I could transfer anything to and from my computer with the minidisc player because Sony refuses to write a 64-bit driver for this device.

Nonsense! There are drivers here for just about all known units (regular and HiMD) that make NetMD disks, in our download section. Don't let the fact that there's only one driver for 32 and one for 64 fool you, as they work for EVERYTHING.

Nonsense! There are drivers here for just about all known units (regular and HiMD) that make NetMD disks, in our download section. Don't let the fact that there's only one driver for 32 and one for 64 fool you, as they work for EVERYTHING.

I did try several times , the 64-bit driver just wouldn't work on my computer. Anyway, it is not important since I am using the Sony stick which doesn't require any software to install. I just drag and drop , the firmware takes care of the rest. I just want NetMD for nostalgic reason. I wish my Apple II didn't break, there are some monochrome graphics games I still enjoy.

I did try several times , the 64-bit driver just wouldn't work on my computer. Anyway, it is not important since I am using the Sony stick which doesn't require any software to install. I just drag and drop , the firmware takes care of the rest. I just want NetMD for nostalgic reason. I wish my Apple II didn't break, there are some monochrome graphics games I still enjoy.

I'm not sure where you are located, but here is one on craigslist in New Jersey:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/ele/4395624121.html

Thank you. I am in Canda . Do you have good experience in buying from Craiglist??

Yes, I talk to the sellers first. I would send them money via Paypal, check or I would mail them the cash and they would ship me the MiniDisc items. Try your local craigslist first.