How well does MZ-RH1 hold up to time?

Rate this topic

PaulDenton

Hello,

Members with more experience, when one would use it frequently, how long will a rh1 last, what are the most common problems that will occure, what is generally the first thing to break (assuming that the owner is careful of his player. rh1 in the good hands). Asking cause as some of you know i am very close to my purchase, and hope i can use it for a long time. And i know some of you have like 4 players so i was wondering that if they are built well ( they seem to).

Thanks,

PaulDenton

My RH1 has had moderate use and I have a few niggles. Mini USB jack isn't the best and unit doesn't always charge properly. Or sometimes the unit doesn't display that it's charging. Also, anytime I try to rewind during a track the unit always jumps back to the start of the track.

Yes the jog wheel seems to be the most vulnerable from what people say.

Looking for a couple of years on ebay suggests the OLED display (mentioned) and the door doesnt close

properly -hinge?

They do feel more fragile than my other MD portables or maybe its because i know they are dead

expensive nowadays :(

While a mzr50 goes for £25 and was top of the line in its day for a portable.

it looks likes like a real quality build. but damn based on these responses i seem to be getting the idea that these will break in every way possible:( The breaking of the hinge seems most depressing (is there anyone with a old unit that still has working hinges),using a clamp to hold it closed looks absolutely horrible on this incredibly beautiful looking little machine!

Well i hope if i buy new i have a least a few years of fun with it;(

I will add that I have been uisng mine for 3 years and have had no problems with the door or controls. I will say that people do in general treat MD portables quite roughly even when they are 'being careful'. I don't think that they understand the finer points of construction that make these gadgets up. I have always 'assisted' the door shut, gently pressed buttons and the jog lever and been aware that firm presses and actions have no place in operating fine mechnaical items. Just use it with care and concideration and it should be fine.

My recommendation is as follows:

- Buy RH10 for everything at home except uploading of NetMD/SP recordings to PC.

- Buy a player of some kind (EH50/70/930 if you must have HiMD) for use "out there". If you can't find a player, the NH700 is significantly more rugged than either RH1 or RH10. If you don't need HiMD then there are zillions of choices.

- Save your RH1 for uploads.

Everyone here seems to end up owning multiple units. Use each for the purpose it is most suited.

I advise to use a pouch or - if the unit is not in a perfect aesthetic design - even a cover or a fur (like mobile phone's, easy to take off with Zippo fluid).

p10100852.jpg

grey2y.jpg

Old Pictures. The previous owner did not sold me a clean unit (aestheticly and electronicly) and that was the only one I have ever found in Vietnam. I bought the black RH1 in France.