pre-recorded MD : the list on discogs.com

Rate this topic

PhilippeC

Never saw much use for pre-recorded MD's. It always made much more sense to me to buy the CD and record it myself. Judging by the short history of these being produced, I guess most others felt the same way...

Some pre-recorded MDs sound just like the CDs. But you are right, most CD->MD digital copies will sound almost the same as the pre-recorded version, if not, better.

I have about 30 or so pre-recorded MD's and I think they are pretty cool. Remember, that you couldn't just go out and buy anything that was new at the time on MD along with CD or cassette because only the music labels that were either owned by Sony or partnered with them (I don't remember exactly) had the new music out on the MD format. So in some cases you had no choice but to buy the CD and then record it onto MD.

I wish I would've bought some of those new music MD's back in the 90's because some of the harder to find ones are selling for mad money nowadays and I remember seeing some of them in the stores back in the day too. Not just to sell for some extra money but for some nostalgia too. There is probably some albums that had very limited runs and are hard to find now.