Decoder failed to convert some tracks

Rate this topic

Hi all,

on some tracks I received the following error in omglog:

2014/05/17 10:25:40 [C:Program Files (x86)AvantiAvanti-ffmpeg-GUI-078Avanti-GUI.exe] 00001130:000016d0 OMGException: (0x2)<77243> - SAL INTERNAL ERROR: ERR_TID_MTDD,SVR2,ERR_LYR_MGLM,ERR_MOD_MT,ERR_MT_ATRAC,AT3_ERR_DECODE,(kind:0x14c04060 ext:0x0(0)) in nc.ocm
2014/05/17 10:25:40 [C:Program Files (x86)AvantiAvanti-ffmpeg-GUI-078Avanti-GUI.exe] 00001130:000016d0 OMGException: (0x415)<21856> - CConverter::DecodeEAT3 Failed Convert

The track does not play in any software program that all do depend on openMG sh*t.

IMHO, HiMD is one of the most trouble sensitive coding methods that have been ever developed. Only one false bit can destroy a complete recording!!!!!

It should be the target of programmers to develop a software that can recover such destroyed atrac3+ tracks. ffmpeg people have done already much.

Is there any idea what could be done? Can somebody even explain the mysterious error messages above?

TIA, Wolfgang

When I last checked, VLC (and therefore ffmpeg) do not have any support for ATRAC3+. So the software you are ??messing with likely failed at the point where it first hits HiMD data.

If, on the other hand, VLC is starting to play SOME Hi-MD data, then hooray! They've finally incorporated the same technology which successfully decrypts the MDLP files (LP2 and LP4). If the data is corrupt, tant pis as they say in Frankreich. On my list of things to check into, whether they finally did something. What version of VLC or ffmpeg are you using please? Date of build would be most helpful, and also version number.

Edit: it appears that the A3+ decoder is on its way to release. This is great news! I will try it out pretty soon.

The problem of being senstive to a one-bit change in the data is inherent in ANY system which uses content protection ("DRM"). Apple's Itunes are just as bad. So please forget roughaging Sony for this.

There's a guy posted an RH10 he wants to sell in the last 24 hours here, if you want to try that. Has yours died completely?

Update: further research indicates that ffmpeg probably has the support, VLC not yet. Either way all the hassles with DRM and people losing files because Windows insisted on upgrading are likely gone forever. When this finally makes it to full release, this is the moment we've all been waiting for!

Currently Android and other non-Windows devices can play MDLP only. When this hits, all .oma files should be playable by any software that uses ffmpeg (for example KooRaRoo DLNA server).

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything except ATRAC Advanced Lossless (AAL). I knew they wouldn't be doing that any time soon. I just managed to play an ATRAC file on my Android phone (via mp3, but who cares!? could be via WAV).

Dear sfbp,

thanks for your postings. I think I have the latest ffmpeg release 2.2 as of March 24, 2014 and GUI Avisynth under Win7. You should know, the mysterious errors do not appear on all tracks. Most of them are playing well, but some damaged tracks cannot be played neither with ffmpeg nor SonicStage. Same with HiMD renderer and QHiMDtransfer. I did not try VLC media player.

Furthermore, I have unintentionally formatted an Hi-LP MD because my NH600 has too small display and restored back some tracks with the aid of undelete programs and QHiMDtransfer. But some of these recovered tracks do not play.

Regarding ffmpeg I have observed that it uses all openMG library files when playing oma. So it can work only when openMG is installed, AFAIK.

Yes, I am interested in RH10 if it is in very good condition. Mine does still play well, but I do not try recording or editing MD to not damage further MDs.

Yours sincerely,

Wolfgang

I don't think you can possibly expect digital playback systems to cope with "minor" errors in the file. Either it's good, or it isn't, sadly.

Unfortunately I think the HiMD folder structure is (IIRC) based on FAT and there is a good possibility of directory failures being written on data when you do recovery like this. As usual, on a virgin disk you are OK, but the pattern of record, delete, record, fail, unerase will always produce random results.

If Sound Forge had decryption built in, you could use it to get the data somehow and patch it back together. But it isn't capable of that.

I'm quite sure that ffmpeg is not using the OMG libraries. That would be an egregious violation both of their own (GPL) license and also of Sony's.

Wait a second. If this Avanti thing is misconfigured could it possibly be calling the omg libraries by mistake?

Suggest you download latest ffmpeg without avanti front end and see if you can run conversion on stream to Wav file.

I don't think you can possibly expect digital playback systems to cope with "minor" errors in the file. Either it's good, or it isn't, sadly.

Unfortunately I think the HiMD folder structure is (IIRC) based on FAT and there is a good possibility of directory failures being written on data when you do recovery like this. As usual, on a virgin disk you are OK, but the pattern of record, delete, record, fail, unerase will always produce random results.

If Sound Forge had decryption built in, you could use it to get the data somehow and patch it back together. But it isn't capable of that.

I'm quite sure that ffmpeg is not using the OMG libraries. That would be an egregious violation both of their own (GPL) license and also of Sony's.

Hello Stephen,

if there are wrong bits in the digital file, there should be some noise in the worst case, but not total malfunction and destruction!!!

I have undeleted all files from an 80 Min Hi-LP even the audio file ATDATAxx.HMA. But unfortunately this file has only 130 MB instead of 300 MB of the original file. The FAT chain may be broken!

Regarding ffmpeg I have monitored Avanti playing oma, using the well known Procmon program and it shows uncountable many lines of access to openMG files. I do not know what the command line version would make without Avanti.

Kind regards,

Wolfgang

Hello Stephen,

if there are wrong bits in the digital file, there should be some noise in the worst case, but not total malfunction and destruction!!!

I disagree. For example one method of encryption might be to reverse the data in the file (I know, not likely). Would you expect to get the data back then?

I have undeleted all files from an 80 Min Hi-LP even the audio file ATDATAxx.HMA. But unfortunately this file has only 130 MB instead of 300 MB of the original file. The FAT chain may be broken!

I would expect it to be so broken.

Regarding ffmpeg I have monitored Avanti playing oma, using the well known Procmon program and it shows uncountable many lines of access to openMG files. I do not know what the command line version would make without Avanti.

That is as may be but that is Avanti calling DirectShow and thence the Sony DLL's.. nothing to do with the ffmpeg/libav technology which doesn't.

Edit: by way of backup (?proof) of my assertion, if ffmpeg were calling OMG, then it should play Atrac Advanced Lossless (AAL) files. It doesn't, because I know the support for decoding them is not (yet) built into ffmpeg.

I disagree. For example one method of encryption might be to reverse the data in the file (I know, not likely). Would you expect to get the data back then?

Digital is not identical to encrypted!!! We have to distinguish between analog - digital, compressed - not compressed, encrypted - not encrypted.

Yours sincerely,
Wolfgang

That is as may be but that is Avanti calling DirectShow and thence the Sony DLL's.. nothing to do with the ffmpeg/libav technology which doesn't.

Edit: by way of backup (?proof) of my assertion, if ffmpeg were calling OMG, then it should play Atrac Advanced Lossless (AAL) files. It doesn't, because I know the support for decoding them is not (yet) built into ffmpeg.

Yes, thank you for explanation of the details. I thought Avanti is only a GUI for ffmpeg and that is why I am using it. I did not make any tests further yet.

Digital is not identical to encrypted!!! We have to distinguish between analog - digital, compressed - not compressed, encrypted - not encrypted.

Yours sincerely,

Wolfgang

I was merely trying to explain in general terms (not that you would be UNable to understand anything more detailed, please don't take offence Wolfgang). Generally when tracks are encrypted, a 1-bit error will be fatal, was my point. Most of the uploaded stuff from MD's is initially encrypted, unless one can succeed in running the File Conversion Tool or equivalent. Editing it by any means is unlikely to fix.