MD advice for a newbie

Rate this topic

BourbonCowboy

Hello all,

I recently returned to vintage audio and began collecting vinyl albums.  I would like to buy a Minidisc player/recorder to record a few of them.  I know very little about the medium, as it was in its infancy when I was in college and I couldn't afford to get into it.  However, now I would like to add a MD player to my mid-90s Sony component system.  

My question is this: Can you suggest a player and recorder (that I might actually be able to find online) that would offer the best recording/playback sound quality?  I understand that the MDS-JA55ES is supposed to be the best, but there are none to be found. Which two or three readily available units would you suggest I look for? 

I haven't set a definite budget yet, but I think I would like to keep the purchase at or around $300 if possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have to offer.

Mark

The 333es is also arguably one of the best and has the benefit of Long Play.

I have a 555es as my best player/recorder.

Failing those 2 there is the 50es and 20es decks but they do have older version of ATRAC.

The jb940 is a mid range deck that is well respected which will be cheaper.

It was £300 new in the UK

I like the MDS-JB930 as the most bang for your buck. It has a current-pulse DAC, among other features. Be aware that it is not enabled with LP. You should, sooner or later, be able to find one of these in your stated price range. If you must have LP, then the MDS-JB940 can also be found, sometimes at a higher price than the 930. The 940 has a hybrid-pulse DAC. (IMO, the 930 sounds better on playback.)

The 333/555ES units are generally harder to find and often more expensive than the JB series, esp. the 555. I currently  own, in addition to a 930 and 940, an MDS-JA20ES. Fine unit and probably fewer $$ than the 333/555, but also lacking LP.

Good luck. Please post here about what you wind up with!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies...specifically about the units that are and are not LP compatible.  I can't seem to find one right now that will be compatible with my stash of LPs, so I guess I will have to wait.  If I find something, I will definitely post about it...in my loudest online voice!

whoa..... we mean LP as in MDLP. You mean LP as in vinyl. You will get the best recording from your vinyl using SP not LP. However either way in the end you'll need an MZ-RH1 if you want to upload into digital format (non MD).

whoa..... we mean LP as in MDLP. You mean LP as in vinyl. You will get the best recording from your vinyl using SP not LP. However either way in the end you'll need an MZ-RH1 if you want to upload into digital format (non MD).

And if you get a RH1, you can even store your LP's music in lossless PCM format (sadly only but happily one 30' side on each standard MD like the goods old times).

Thanks for clearing that up. I assume the SP and LP mean standard play and long play, respectively.

I'm really not interested in portable units or uploading music. Right now I just want to put about a dozen albums on MD for home playback.