FS: Rare TDK Pro Minidisc and Maxell Minidisc

Rate this topic

Sony_Fan

And yet again you link to a US only auction (of yours) on a forum with members ALL OVER THE WORLD that you don't even offer it to.

Just wondering, what is your thinking/reasoning behind doing this?

Hi Danny. I don't mean any disrespect to international buyers.  But I sell on ebay as a hobby, it is not how I make my living. I like to keep things simple.  In order for Ebay to protect me against fraudulent international buyers, Ebay requires me to ship with tracking number and insurance, and therefor the shipping service I would use would charge more for that.  This makes the shipping cost way too high for the international buyer, and many of them do not want to pay that, and therefore they do not want to buy my items.  

It's cheaper for me to ship to United States buyers because shipping, tracking and insurance (if needed) is cheaper for me and the buyer.  I can also print my shipping labels at home, package the items, and drop them off at the mailbox. I don't have to go into the post office to do that.  I don't have time for that, and with international shipments, I have to go to the post office to fill out the paper work, and I don't want to deal with that.   

So simply put, I don't want to deal with international scammers, lost packages, broken items or fraudulent "item not as described" claims.  I can better protect myself against these things in the United States because it's cheaper for me to track and insure the items or get signature confirmation.  I know there are alot of honest international ebay users, but I choose for myself, to deal locally in the United States.  

Perhaps my English is not so good - let me try again:

Why announce, in these classifieds, something for sale elsewhere exclusively? Not to mean your US-auctions, but your NON-FORUM auctions.

If I look at this section of the forum, I am expecting/hoping to see something of relevance - not a redirect to another site.

And I don't mean to question just your habit of doing it - there are/have been others

;-)

Perhaps my English is not so good - let me try again:

Why announce, in these classifieds, something for sale elsewhere exclusively? Not to mean your US-auctions, but your NON-FORUM auctions.

If I look at this section of the forum, I am expecting/hoping to see something of relevance - not a redirect to another site.

And I don't mean to question just your habit of doing it - there are/have been others

;-)

The moderators have allowed the use of the Classified sections to either advertise on this forum, or point to a listing on ebay, even if it's not the OP's auction or listing.  Other forums have a section where you can post about third-party sales (stuff for sale on ebay or amazon, etc..).  Maybe that's what this forum needs.  I would gladly post in that section. 

There have a been a couple of forum members here who for some reason, bought some of my items directly through ebay, even though they could have asked me to sell to them directly through this forum, but they didn't.  Many buyers will prefer to buy through ebay because they have the buyer-protection.  

Sony_fan buys md-stuff international as cheap as possible and sells national as expensive as possible and uses this forum to succeed. Some members (music lovers) don't like that, I am between them but he has the right to do that in the classified section. When you don't like his behaviour then don't read his posts. Maybe he must change his name in Money_fan.

If the moderator/s are happy with the situation, I guess that seals it.

Or maybe they should just scrap the classifieds section - or rename it to something like 'links to sales on other sites'?

Or maybe people should just put links for their sales in their signature?

Especially as how whenever someone does post their stuff for sale here, half the time someone (not naming names) responds along the lines of 'post it on eBay instead - the members here are tight with money'. If that's the case, why point to your eBay auctions: the members here aren't interested for those prices ie why waste your time linking, and ours reading?

If I turn the tv onto a news channel, I expect to hear the news NOT to be told to switch to another channel to watch it instead.

Am I in the wrong about this?

My opinion is that anybody can post a sale in the classified section to give the md fans here the chance to buy the stuff for a reasonable price, after some time without a deal he/she can tell I put the sale on ebay now. In that case there is no need to give the link to your own ebay sale because nobody here wanted to buy for that price and on ebay you can expect the price will be much higher.

If you want the highest possible price as Sony-Fan do there is no need to post the sale first in the forum because we are not rich enough I think. His priority is to earn some money and not to make somebody happy and of course that is his good right.

In the case of Sony_Fan it is clear that he sell not outside the USA, that is his own choice you can't complain about that fact.

But if a forum member see a good md offer on ebay he/she can attent the fellow forum members to that auction and give a link, I think there is no need to do that in the classified section.

My English is not the best but I think your Dutch isn't better.

I wanted to respond, just to give you the idea that the moderators/admins DO care. This is the classified section, fair enough. However in future it should be possible to get a bit tougher on the posts which appear in other sections and seem to be asking questions for reasons of borderline interest to most members (eg promoting sales, creating links, attempting to raise public profile). There seems to be a consensus here that such "borderline" behaviour comes very close to breaching the rules on spamming.

At the present time I don't think it will be necessary to have a rule saying "only post here if you are willing to sell to an accredited member of the forum with at least 50 posts", but perhaps at some time in the future we could have a poll about that issue****.

OK, everyone?

**** I note that I have a (confirmed,verified) mailing address in the USA which i use quite often, but I am unable to make a bid on Sony-Fan's auctions. Almost no other vendor in the last 3 years that I have used insists on this, except one guy in another state who sold me a dud RM-MC11EL. This, after a fair amount of gentle persuasion that I was a certified human bean even though I didn't live there. Maybe I am one of the "scammers" Sony-Fan refers to!?!?

I wanted to respond, just to give you the idea that the moderators/admins DO care. This is the classified section, fair enough. However in future it should be possible to get a bit tougher on the posts which appear in other sections and seem to be asking questions for reasons of borderline interest to most members (eg promoting sales, creating links, attempting to raise public profile). There seems to be a consensus here that such "borderline" behaviour comes very close to breaching the rules on spamming.

At the present time I don't think it will be necessary to have a rule saying "only post here if you are willing to sell to an accredited member of the forum with at least 50 posts", but perhaps at some time in the future we could have a poll about that issue****.

OK, everyone?

**** I note that I have a (confirmed,verified) mailing address in the USA which i use quite often, but I am unable to make a bid on Sony-Fan's auctions. Almost no other vendor in the last 3 years that I have used insists on this, except one guy in another state who sold me a dud RM-MC11EL. This, after a fair amount of gentle persuasion that I was a certified human bean even though I didn't live there. Maybe I am one of the "scammers" Sony-Fan refers to!?!?

No, I'm sure you're not a scammer, but that's not what I was referring to.  I buy my stuff from craigslist in the United States, and I look for really cheap MD sales.  If it's something that I can sell for more on ebay, I will buy it.  This is a hobby, for extra cash. I'm the only working in my home.  Honestly, I have come on this forum and explained a couple of times how you guys can search craigslist and search for really good MD sales, whether you want to sell for more or just keep.  

I don't ship internationally, so I block all non-U.S. paypal accounts to discourage them from buying.  In order for me to accept payments from international buyers who have U.S. shipping addresses, I would have to change the restrictions on my paypal account. I don't want to do that, because at that point any international buyer can send me payment, and then it's too long of a process to get the transaction canceled.  So I block all international payments, even with U.S. shipping addresses.  

As of now, all postings of someone's own eBay auctions are forbidden, and will be deleted. Retroactively, it may not be worth the effort.

The purposes of the classifieds section is to allow members to trade items between themselves, not to create links to commercial sites such as eBay for any purpose.

Exceptions will be made from time to time, e.g. Jim Hoggarth (who has never advertised here) will be permitted to speak about his business as he is considered a "Respected eTailer".

One of the reasons for doing this is that auction links go out of currency very quickly, so we would prefer not to clutter up the site with dead links.