How much difference of 24 ohm vs. 64 ohm makes on a portable MD player

Rate this topic

Happy Hopping

I am thinking of get a new headphone, natural wood construction.  My current headphone is 24 ohm, a Sony MDR-V900.

I have also use the Sony MDR-V600, which is 45 ohm, on the same portable CD player.

In either case, I can't tell a difference in sound quality.  But people did tell me that the lower  the impedance, the better it is for the battery to push good CD sound quality.

The current headphone I have in mind is 64 ohm.  Would a regular portable CD player or Hi MD player be able to push good Cd quality sound on a head phone of 64 ohm ?

Sound quality is not the biggest concern when driving a high impedance load with a low impedance amplifier, the primary issue is the decibel level attainable.  In the optimum situation, you have what is known as a perfect impedance match where the rated impedance output of the amplifier is an exact match to the load of the headphone or speaker being driven.  This condition allows for a state known as 'maximum power transfer'.  It is not always attainable but it is desirable.

Impedance mismatch, such as you describe, is not at all uncommon and is typically not anything to be concerned with except in the extremes.  If the unit you are using can drive a 45 ohm load to an acceptable volume level, it should be able to also drive a 64 ohm load without issue.  I would not even expect you to be able to notice any difference in battery power usage.