Sharp MD 702 in need of a repair.

Rate this topic

matthancock

Hi Everyone 

I am new member to this forum and as the topic title says, i am in need of a repair carried out to my sharp 702 md. usual error  UTOC. so i suspect that it is the overhead magnetic type thing that needs to be replaced with a compatible one or a new one because it does not record and i can only use it for playback. does anyone know where i can have this work carried out in the uk ? 

i have found this website that offer repair but its in Chicago USA    http://www.justservice.com/minidisc_repair.html

any help on this would be greatly appreciated kind regards matt.  

By all means enquire about repairs but to be honest it is unlikely to be economically viable. The Sharp 702 is a fairly common model and doesn't usually fetch excessively high prices so you will probably be able to get another (or even two or three) for the price of having your existing one repaired,

Don't want to spoil anyone's dreams here, just being realistic. I think the above applies to a large number of machines, not just the Sharp 702.

"By all means enquire about repairs but to be honest it is unlikely to be economically viable. The Sharp 702 is a fairly common model and doesn't usually fetch excessively high prices so you will probably be able to get another (or even two or three) for the price of having your existing one repaired,"

There are two sellers on Ebay(UK) with four assorted Sharp 702s. Neither seller has any MDs so cannot verify that the 702s work. This seems to be a bit of a lottery.

Can anybody suggest an good performing alternative model. My only experience of portable MDs is the Sony MZR55, my 16 year old example still works perfectly.

Kieron.

• 2 weeks later...

Ehh like "Another MD Fanatic" above said, it's almost certainly not worth it to repair.  The MS701/MS702 always had this problem--if you can find all the old stuff on the intarwebs about "Sharp UTOC error" you'll see what I mean.  Allegedly the later units with the "MK" suffix on the box/model label were improved but who knows by how much.  I'm pretty sure any MS701/702 will fail eventually in the same fashion.  Might as well just buy another MD unit off eBay, etc. and hopefully not a Sharp from this generation!  

Then you can relegate the Sharp to playback only duty though you might want to look into permanently disconnecting the OWH because I'm pretty sure those units were also known to randomly erase discs, but I can't rememeber now.