Player stops playing BluRay disks

Rate this topic

stevenesmithusa65

I have owned 3 Bluray Players in 2 years. All have worked for approx. 8 mo. then stop playing bluray disks but

continue to play dvd without any problems. Firmware was always kept up to date and cleaned properly.

Am starting to suspect built in software has a disk counter which shuts off at a certain count!

More likely they need updates to keep the encryption keys current. You probably need to connect to the Internet a few times per year.

As I stated, firmware WAS kept up to date!

More likely they need updates to keep the encryption keys current. You probably need to connect to the Internet a few times per year.

Thanks for the response though.

Who said anything about firmware? There must be other reasons/mechanisms for encryption failure. AFAIK (content) manufacturers keep changing the algorithms via the dynamically loaded program stored on the BD.

I'd be inclined to give DVDFab a shot. I bought a laptop BD drive aftermarket .... and no way was it going to work until I got software to defeat the encryption (it was the right unit for that laptop). Sort of like when you buy a replacement faceplate for a car head unit -the manufacturer locks them to force you to pay the big bucks to their dealership (actually it's supposed to be to discourage theft, which it probably does).

The 8 months you mention sounds more like a certificate expiry than actual use monitoring.

The encryption keys only have to do with playback and not with actually reading the disc.  If the encryption keys are not up to date the player will read the disc fine and attempt to play it but upon playback it will tell you the disc cannot be played until the player is updated.  If the player won't read the disc at all, that's a pickup or spindle or other mechanical problem with the player.

Who said anything about firmware? There must be other reasons/mechanisms for encryption failure. AFAIK (content) manufacturers keep changing the algorithms via the dynamically loaded program stored on the BD.

I'd be inclined to give DVDFab a shot. I bought a laptop BD drive aftermarket .... and no way was it going to work until I got software to defeat the encryption (it was the right unit for that laptop). Sort of like when you buy a replacement faceplate for a car head unit -the manufacturer locks them to force you to pay the big bucks to their dealership (actually it's supposed to be to discourage theft, which it probably does).

The 8 months you mention sounds more like a certificate expiry than actual use monitoring.

This is not an encryption problem. have been using dvdfab for years. will not play blurays I have played many times before.