Advanced Pulse DAC

Rate this topic

bluecrab

Does anyone know what an "Advanced Pulse Digital Converter" is? (Sony CXD8505Q - CXD2515Q). It is in a Sony CDP-XA1ES. IIRC, either the JA20ES or JB930 has the 8505BQ DAC, which is a current pulse. So what is the difference between a "current pulse" and "advanced pulse" DAC? Is "advanced somehow different from "hybrid"? I'm no EE, so the simpler the explanation, the better. I am not being lazy here, as I did some poking around on the web, but did not find anything comprehensible to me.

BTW, the unit says "Advanced Pulse..." right on the front of it.

The 920 has CXD8767N as the D/A chip, and the 930 has the CXD8735N-TP. They each have 2 chips (IC203 and IC204) labelled "current pulse" which are CXA8042AS in both machines. I think CX<anything> is generally Sony's only custom designation, whether or not they actually manufacture them.

I haven't looked at the JA20ES. But I see little difference in the layout of the board between 920 and 930.

Stephen

Thanks, Stephen. You are correct in all three cases, as the JA20ES has the same chips as the JB930. I have one of each of these two decks, and they do sound alike.  So if the 8505BQ appears in a Sony MD deck, it's somewhere else. However, I'm still wondering what in the world Advanced Pulse is. Perhaps just marketing hype by Sony? As with the JB930 and XA20ES, the CDP-XA1ES sounds an awful lot like its bigger cousin, the CDP-XA20ES.