Sonic Stage Ultimate Release 2 Installation Problem on Vista

Rate this topic

chris348

Erased the Sonic Stage Software in error a while ago and when I tried to download from Sony, found that they had withdrawn it. Tried to load Sonic Stage Ultimate Release 2 from this forum, but the software did not install Sonic Stage. (The step was shown, but was apparently skipped). Help please, as my minidisc (NET MD Walkman MZ-N505) works fine.

The computer is Vista 32 bit, SP 2, fully updated.

Have performed extensive Google searches for Sonic Stage software, but all you seem to get are lots of dodgy downloads. I have the original software CD (v2.2), but it will not run on Vista.

Many thanks in anticipation.

It works!

You haven't told us enough to figure out what's going on. At the least give us a screen shot of the last step which you think worked during installation, and a screenshot of the first error message you see (during installation). About how many minutes into the install did things go belly up?

Are you 100% certain it isn't in fact successfully installed? Check the main Windows menu to see if there's anything there or not.

You most definitely don't want anything to do with SonicStage 2.2

It maybe that you haven't removed the old software properly.

It works!

You haven't told us enough to figure out what's going on. At the least give us a screen shot of the last step which you think worked during installation, and a screenshot of the first error message you see (during installation). About how many minutes into the install did things go belly up?

Are you 100% certain it isn't in fact successfully installed? Check the main Windows menu to see if there's anything there or not.

You most definitely don't want anything to do with SonicStage 2.2

It maybe that you haven't removed the old software properly.

Many thanks for the prompt reply. Have done the following since yesterday.

1) Used Revo Uninstaller to completely remove all Sony software, including left-over files and registry entries.

2) Downloaded SS43-Ultimate from the forum, moved it to the desk top and ran it from there.

3) An installation window appeared with 7 stages, from 'Music Server Controller' through to 'Driver' Will try and add the screen shot shortly.

4) Each stage took a few minutes to install, except for the 'Sonic Stage' stage, which passed almost instantly.

I now have something called 'OpenMG Secure Module' 26 Mbytes-ish (do not know where this is), and very little in the Sony folder in Program Files, one OpenMG Jukebox folder and one Personal Audio Driver folder.

Presume that there should be a Sonic Stage program somewhere. Do wonder if there is a left over registry entry that makes the installation program think that Sonic Stage is already installed. There are no error messages.

Thanks again for any advice.

The main Sonic Stage program is called (for historical/marketing reasons) omgjbox.exe

Hope this helps.

Have tried again erasing all previous Sony software, including left-over files and registry entries, and re-installing, with no apparent success.

What I do not understand is that there is something called OpenMG Secure Module 5.0.00 shown in both Programs and Features and the Revo  install list, the registry entry for which says it is in Program Files/Sony Corporation/OpenMG Secure Module.

However, there is no sign of such folders when Windows Explorer lists the contents of the Program files. There is no sign of omgjbox.exe anywhere in Program Folders.

Thanks again for your time. 

You should search for omgjbox.exe on your entire computer's hard drive. When/if you find it, this should give you a signficant insight into what's wrong.

Did I mention you should probably run the install (and indeed all the executables from Sony) as Administrator? Either your user needs to have admin power, or you need to make shortcuts which run the program by default in administrator privilege mode. It is ESSENTIAL to disable all antivirus and other scanners whilst running the install, as well.

You should search for omgjbox.exe on your entire computer's hard drive. When/if you find it, this should give you a signficant insight into what's wrong.

Did I mention you should probably run the install (and indeed all the executables from Sony) as Administrator? Either your user needs to have admin power, or you need to make shortcuts which run the program by default in administrator privilege mode. It is ESSENTIAL to disable all antivirus and other scanners whilst running the install, as well.

Am afraid that trying all of the above at the same time has not changed the behaviour of the installation program. The 'Sonic Stage' stage of the installation is still completed in an instant as though it is being skipped. There is no sign of omgjbox.exe anywhere on this computer. Are we at the end of the road?

I doubt it. But it does seem quite likely something is wrong with your computer. What were the last few things you installed? Any disk utitlities, or anti-spyware/malware/antivirus?

What did you pick for destination? Try c:sonicstage

There's one other possibility, if you really were running an old version of SonicStage before (you mentioned 2.2?), maybe it's still there and you didn't actually get rid of it at all.

And you should turn off DEP and UAC - I don't recall what the default settings were for that ill-fated version of Windows.

Time to try installing something other than SonicStage. First try something non-Sony, such as Nero (any old, and I mean old, version should do, not the very latest). Then try Simple Burner (maybe that's all you need anyway).

I doubt it. But it does seem quite likely something is wrong with your computer. What were the last few things you installed? Any disk utitlities, or anti-spyware/malware/antivirus?

What did you pick for destination? Try c:sonicstage

There's one other possibility, if you really were running an old version of SonicStage before (you mentioned 2.2?), maybe it's still there and you didn't actually get rid of it at all.

And you should turn off DEP and UAC - I don't recall what the default settings were for that ill-fated version of Windows.

Time to try installing something other than SonicStage. First try something non-Sony, such as Nero (any old, and I mean old, version should do, not the very latest). Then try Simple Burner (maybe that's all you need anyway).

Have disabled DEP and UAC and the Virus checker and run SS43_Ultimate as Administrator. Still no SonicStage files were installed. The directory should have been c:/Program Files/Sony/SonicStage. There is an OpenMG Jukebox folder containing two files, neither are .exe. The 'Sonic Stage' stage of the installation again is conducted in an instant.

Regarding loading software, have just loaded an update for OpenOffice. This loaded perfectly.

This sounds most peculiar.

Have you tried running the INSTALL program in XP Compatibility Mode? (I assume there's such a thing in Vista)

This sort of nonsense may be why people didn't like Vista.

Many thanks for yet another suggestion. Assigned the compatibility property to the install executable as XP Service Pack 2 (you can do this in Vista). With the anti-virus disabled and run as administrator, the installation program behaved precisely as before.

All I can think of was that Microsoft was in the early stages of their attempts to enforce partition of users' data and programs along per-user lines.

I think it's essential for you to try creating a writeable directory on the root (If you cannot, there's part of the answer) of C: and install to there. I have the deepest suspicion of installing programs to C:Program Files

Another thing to check is access to C:Program FilesCommon FilesSony Shared

Start by deleting everything in there, which is where a lot of the guts is stored. Don't bother about de-installing. Just keep on installing over the top until things work. You can probably figure out how to get rid of the excess afterwards.

You did say there was plenty of storage on C:? If you are booting from an SSD or (worse still) ROM, all sorts of bad things may happen. Hint: Sony used self-modifying code in this product.

And I don't think installing an update to Open Office is enough of a test. You need something with a bit more of a footprint. Like I said, try Nero.

All I can think of was that Microsoft was in the early stages of their attempts to enforce partition of users' data and programs along per-user lines.

I think it's essential for you to try creating a writeable directory on the root (If you cannot, there's part of the answer) of C: and install to there. I have the deepest suspicion of installing programs to C:Program Files

Another thing to check is access to C:Program FilesCommon FilesSony Shared

Start by deleting everything in there, which is where a lot of the guts is stored. Don't bother about de-installing. Just keep on installing over the top until things work. You can probably figure out how to get rid of the excess afterwards.

You did say there was plenty of storage on C:? If you are booting from an SSD or (worse still) ROM, all sorts of bad things may happen. Hint: Sony used self-modifying code in this product.

And I don't think installing an update to Open Office is enough of a test. You need something with a bit more of a footprint. Like I said, try Nero.

Have tried various other things this morning. Firstly, the C drive is 290Gb, of which ~100Gb is free, I can create a file on the c drive eg. c:sonic, put files in it and take them out again. Not sure where the PC boots from. There is no SSD.

When I alter the destination folder in the installation process, the software appears to ignore any change and such files as are generated are placed in c:program filessonysonicstage, as well as c:program filescommon filessony shared.

Have a busy week or so looming, so will not be able to pursue this further.

Thanks for your help. It is a great pity that Sony could not leave the software on the 'net somewhere, even if they were not able to provide any support. Can't think it would have cost them much to do that.

Thanks again.

OK. Now we're getting warm.

The reason it ignores the destination is that it finds a previous SS installed. The executable omgjbox.exe should be in that "sonicstage" directory, wherever you put it.

Somehow you have to really really clean your computer of this (old) stuff, i.e. previous SS releases. I'm wondering if somehow you tried installing 2.2 from your CD over top of a (downloaded) later version. This could well account for what's wrong. It's helpful to everybody to hear about such weird stuff as we end up dealing with it.

Or try to install on another machine.

OK. Now we're getting warm.

The reason it ignores the destination is that it finds a previous SS installed. The executable omgjbox.exe should be in that "sonicstage" directory, wherever you put it.

Somehow you have to really really clean your computer of this (old) stuff, i.e. previous SS releases. I'm wondering if somehow you tried installing 2.2 from your CD over top of a (downloaded) later version. This could well account for what's wrong. It's helpful to everybody to hear about such weird stuff as we end up dealing with it.

Or try to install on another machine.

Will try to clean the machine as best i can. Am happy to have a real good look through 'program files' etc., but could the problem lie in a left-over registry entry? Can run a registry cleaner, but do not want to delve in the registry other than that, given the harm that I may do.

Undoubtedly that program location is stored somewhere in the registry.

One more thought before you begin - is there a custom uninstall program that was placed on your HD by Sony during installation of SS 2.2???? Run it.

Thank you Sony, I found the string to D:sonicstageomgjbox.exe in at least 10 different places in my registry.

So.... first you gotta uninstall everything that looks related in the list of installed programs. In my case that's only SonicStage. But maybe you have Simple Burner installed, that might enough to lock you into C:Program FilesSonysonicstage

Then you need to get rid of the Sony shared stuff you referred to.

Then you need to go through and religiously remove every reference in the registry to

C:Program FilesSonysonicstageOmgjbox.exe

Whilst you are doing this, probably you will want to delete most of the hives containing these references. Be careful not to delete anything which contains the above string AS WELL AS OTHER UNRELATED stuff.

Oh yes, and as you go through, delete whatever these entries point to! There's a lot of stuff.

Examples of things you can delete you'll find lots more):

HKCROmgjbox.exe

HKCRsonicstage

HKCRsonicstages

HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftIntelliPointAppSpecificOmgjbox.exe

HKLMSOFTWAREClassessonicstage

Almost any key name with omg starting it (look for clues that it's Sony-related).

Don't forget to REBOOT before you install anything. It's the rebooting which freezes the registry. And empty the trash.

And above all, don't panic. I have no idea why this should be necessary, but this is what I would do if I had the problem myself.

NOW - search for Sony ******ANYTHING AT ALL containing the word Sony******* (of course if your computer is a Sony product this approach won't work). And get rid of it. In most cases you will want to delete the entire hive that contains it.

Good luck!

Thanks again for the excellent advice. Have tried the clean-up suggestions on both the C drive and the registry that you made yesterday and may have another try shortly. However, still the exactly same installation problem exists.

I have just found the attached installation log file. Will have a look at this myself shortly to see if I can make any sense out of it.

One thing I did not do was to run the OpenMG un-install file as this would have meant re-installing and then un-installing OpenMG 2.2.

Thanks again for the help.

omginstlog.txt

Also.... went into the unpacked set of files generated by the install software and found the folder pertaining to sonic stage ... C:UsersChrisAppDataLocalTempSS43_ULTIMATESonicStagessEnglish... Double clicked on set-up and nothing happened (tried several compatibility settings), which is what is happening in the install process. All the other modules appear to be working OK, and may be run by clicking on their setup.exe, except for the SonicStage module.

One thing I did not do was to run the OpenMG un-install file as this would have meant re-installing and then un-installing OpenMG 2.2.

Stop right there..... who said OpenMG 2.2????

We should be up to 4.3 or even 5.0 if I remember correctly.

There is another set-up log file, but the reply software says that I cannot upload files of this type, even though it is only a 12k text file. You are welcome to have a copy if you can suggest a way of transmitting it.

What's its name?

OpenMG 2.2 is the CD that was supplied with the Minidisc as original equipment. I had tried to load it onto Vista a long while ago and thought that you were suggesting that I should run the uninstall program that came with it. But I may have misunderstood and anyway have not.

The other log file is 'C:UsersChrisAppDataLocalTempsoniclaucinstall.log'.

Here is the other log file. Now I've changed its name to install.txt the reply accepts it.

install.txt

You definitely need to get rid of OMG2.2

But I think you will find if you check control panel, it should say OpenMG Secure Module 5.0.00

I'm becoming convinced this is simply a case of deleting something that is already on your computer. Less is more, if you will.

I looked at the file. Could it be as simple as you haven't disconnected the MZ-N505?

Reading through some of the posts, there appears to have been some success in loading ss43_ultimate onto 64bit windows 7 machines. Also have a laptop running that OS, so have just tried to install it. Exactly the same behaviour as for the vista computer. The sonicstage part of the install is over in a flash and there is no sign of sonicstage in the installed list of programs, although the OpenMGsecure module 5.0.00 and the drivers module appear to install.

You must be doing something consistently that others don't do. Are you connected to the internet, I wonder? It may be there's some authentication step you don't realise.

Thousands of people have downloaded the 64-bit drivers and are using SS with Windows 7 (having installed the exact same package as you). Did you unplug your MD (the error in your second logfile)?

Another question: have you tried double-clicking on SetupSS.exe? Or sonicstagessEnglishsetup.exe? (for this you will need to have unpacked things a bit). Did you notice that SetupSS.ini mentions UNinstalling omg2.2?

You must be doing something consistently that others don't do. Are you connected to the internet, I wonder? It may be there's some authentication step you don't realise.

Thousands of people have downloaded the 64-bit drivers and are using SS with Windows 7 (having installed the exact same package as you). Did you unplug your MD (the error in your second logfile)?

Another question: have you tried double-clicking on SetupSS.exe? Or sonicstagessEnglishsetup.exe? (for this you will need to have unpacked things a bit). Did you notice that SetupSS.ini mentions UNinstalling omg2.2?

Have tried double clicking on sonicstagessenglishsetup.exe in the unpacked files. Nothing happens, which is what happens in the overall install procedure. If i double click on the setup file that produces the secure module (in "C:UsersChrisAppDataLocalTempSS43_ULTIMATEcommonopenmgsetup.exe"), this works fine and installs the secure module. But why is the sonicstage setup looking for an external server? Is this the one that was withdrawn by Sony some 18 months ago.

I think that the original sony software required access to an external server..

Both computers have been connected to the net all the time, which is a bit scary as i disabled the virus checker.

omg 2.2 is long gone.

I agree it is all rather strange. Do not usually have such problems.

Thanks again for the help.

Think that it might be time to take stock:

The problem:

On my two computers, a 32 bit windows Home Premium desktop and a 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium laptop, the SS43_Ultimate software installation does not complete properly. All stages of the installation complete OK, except for the Sonicstage part of the installation. The evidence of this is that all the other stages take a few minutes to complete, except for the Sonicstage installation stage, which completes in a second or so. (See the log files above).

Reasons that I can think of are:

1) Operator error (i.e. me) - common to both machines.

2) There is some feature on both machines that is causing the failure - common to both machines..

3) There is something wrong with the SS43_Ultimate software.

4) SS43_Ultimate relies upon an external server to complete properly  which is now shut down.

If we are really sure that someone else has very recently installed SS43_Ultimate on a clean machine (ie no SS43 installed) then that would get rid of 3) and 4). It would be most helpful if that could be confirmed.

Have a busy two weeks looming, so may not be able to spend much time on this in the near future, but would really  like to resolve..

With regard to the last post, I have tried to do the whole install in Safe Mode on the Vista machine. Exactly the same failure occurs. Will carry on investigating as time permits.

Do you still get the failure where it complains about the registry key for the N505?

I sure hope you didn't unplug it (your MD unit) and move it to the other machine when installing - that would definitely be an operator error.

Failure to run something as simple as a setup program suggests malware. When I start the setup for the ss program I at least get a prompt saying "welcome to Sonic Stage 4.3 installation".

There's a free Kaspersky version. one time something like this happened I managed to prevail. It spotted something that no other program did. You could look at your path (environment variables, start by entering command.com, type "PATH" and then tell us the result).

What do you routinely put on machines when installing? Apart from stuff from the manufacturer and msft? Is the computer joined to a domain? Are you permanently connected to some vpn?

I don't think you need Sony to be there. But at some point the keys can get auth'd when one does a restore. I suppose traces of an old ss might invoke the restore function.

That would mean you'd have had to install a very old version of ss or omgjbox on both machines.

Try running omg2oma.exe (from the same place as you found the ss install setup).

Another thing. Are your machines localised to something other than English? Welsh, is that possible? I saw only English.dll in some places in the tree. Probably it picks the right one initially without consulting you. If you had it set to something unusual it might just be confused later on.

Taking your points in order.

1) Not sure about the registry key business. The only failure is that the install runs OK, but skips the SonicStage.bit.

2) the MD has not been connected whilst trying to install SS43 for either computer

3) Have done 2 or 3 AVG whole computer scans recently. Would that not have picked up any malware?

4) Put in the PATH command (for the Vista desktop) in a command window:

C:UsersChris>path
PATH=C:Program FilesCodeGearRAD Studio6.0bin;C:UsersPublicDocumentsRAD
Studio6.0Bpl;C:Program FilesNVIDIA CorporationPhysXCommon;C:PROGRA~1Borl
andDelphi5ProjectsBpl;C:PROGRA~1BorlandDelphi5Bin;C:Windowssystem32;C:
Windows;C:WindowsSystem32Wbem;C:Program FilesCommon FilesRoxio Shared9.0
DLLShared;C:Program Filesjavajdk1.6.0_04bin;C:Program FilesCommon FilesR
oxio Shared9.0DLLShared;C:Program FilesSmart ProjectsIsoBuster;C:Windows
system32gsgs7.05bin;c:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server100ToolsBinn;c:
Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server100DTSBinn;C:WindowsSystem32WindowsPowe
rShellv1.0;C:Program FilesSamsungAllShare Framework DMS1.3.23;C:Program
FilesQuickTimeQTSystem;C:UsersPublicDocumentsRAD Studio6.0Bpl

5) Both computers are stand alone but part of a home network.

6) Routine software installs now tend to be Open Office, Mozy Sync, Google Drive, One Drive  updates

7) Skipping to the end, have checked regional setting. It is UK English.

Think that it might be time to take stock:

The problem:

On my two computers, a 32 bit windows Home Premium desktop and a 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium laptop, the SS43_Ultimate software installation does not complete properly. All stages of the installation complete OK, except for the Sonicstage part of the installation. The evidence of this is that all the other stages take a few minutes to complete, except for the Sonicstage installation stage, which completes in a second or so. (See the log files above).

Reasons that I can think of are:

1) Operator error (i.e. me) - common to both machines.

2) There is some feature on both machines that is causing the failure - common to both machines..

3) There is something wrong with the SS43_Ultimate software.

4) SS43_Ultimate relies upon an external server to complete properly  which is now shut down.

If we are really sure that someone else has very recently installed SS43_Ultimate on a clean machine (ie no SS43 installed) then that would get rid of 3) and 4). It would be most helpful if that could be confirmed.

Have a busy two weeks looming, so may not be able to spend much time on this in the near future, but would really  like to resolve..

With regard to the last post, I have tried to do the whole install in Safe Mode on the Vista machine. Exactly the same failure occurs. Will carry on investigating as time permits.

Hello,

Today I did several tests on an old "clean" laptop with Windows XP and on the laptop I daily use (Windows 7).

I tried to install SonicStage on the old laptop, which have no internetconnection, the installation was trouble-free.

I reinstalled SonicStage on the same laptop without deleting any file at first, the installation was trouble-free.

I reinstalled SonicStage on the same laptop after I deleted all related files and after deleting all entries in the registry related to Sony or OMGJBOX and OPENMG, the installation was trouble-free.

I reinstalled SonicStage on my laptop I daily use without deleting any file at first, the installation was trouble-free.

So my conclusion is that the package in the download section is perfect.

Also you don't need an internetconnection during installation.

I saw in your logfiles that you tried the installation several times in Windows XP compatibility mode and one time as Windows Vista the OS of your laptop. You tried to install SonicStage via the executable in the map/directory to where the downloadfile is unpacked. Maybe you have checked the compatibility mode in this and perhabs in other executables in that map/directory.

My advice is start all over and download SS43-ULTIMATE.exe from the download section (again) and execute the downloaded file without checking the compatibility mode and without changing the defaults, unpacking and installation of SonicStage and related programs normally take place in one run and results in the question to restart the computer.

If the installation is still not successful then show your logfiles again.

I hope you understand my version of the English language and wish you success.

Jan

C:UsersChris>path
PATH=C:Program FilesCodeGearRAD Studio6.0bin;C:UsersPublicDocumentsRAD
Studio6.0Bpl;C:Program FilesNVIDIA CorporationPhysXCommon;C:PROGRA~1Borl
andDelphi5ProjectsBpl;C:PROGRA~1BorlandDelphi5Bin;C:Windowssystem32;C:
Windows;C:WindowsSystem32Wbem;C:Program FilesCommon FilesRoxio Shared9.0
DLLShared;C:Program Filesjavajdk1.6.0_04bin;C:Program FilesCommon FilesR
oxio Shared9.0DLLShared;C:Program FilesSmart ProjectsIsoBuster;C:Windows
system32gsgs7.05bin;c:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server100ToolsBinn;c:
Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server100DTSBinn;C:WindowsSystem32WindowsPowe
rShellv1.0;C:Program FilesSamsungAllShare Framework DMS1.3.23;C:Program
FilesQuickTimeQTSystem;C:UsersPublicDocumentsRAD Studio6.0Bpl

You're obviously a developer. So why not get rid of absolutely everything you can from the PATH statement? The entries which concern me are:

a. Roxio

b. IsoBuster (I don't know what it is)

c. Java

d. Powershell

Also the fact that the borland stuff is at the BEGINNING ie before the 3 Windows entries. IMO the original Windows entries should be first of all in path. Putting things ahead of them may be dangerous. I have Borland on an XP machine which has the WINDOWS entries at the beginning and it works fine in every respect.

You may be able to simplify by checking on the other machine - anything which isn't on both can be crossed off the "actionable" list.

But I would be inclined to simplify that path statement. For now.

I didn't ask you for TEMP/TMP but you might want to check they point somewhere reasonable.

Quote: You tried to install SonicStage via the executable in the map/directory to where the downloadfile is unpacked.

(sorry my ips editor failed, losing keyboard characters for something strange)

Good point, Kalkie. However I did the exact same thing and it worked.

Quote: You tried to install SonicStage via the executable in the map/directory to where the downloadfile is unpacked.

(sorry my ips editor failed, losing keyboard characters for something strange)

Good point, Kalkie. However I did the exact same thing and it worked.

You're right, I did that too sometimes in fact I made a backup of those maps to use in case of emergency, I thought maybe there is a corrupt file in one of those maps of chris348 and restarting with SS43-ULTIMATE.exe overwrites all those files and then we are sure they are fine.

One more thing. You might want to try double clicking the setup.exe file (the one for SS alone) from another user. I know this might create other problems but it would at least explain what's happening without you having to mess with the PATH, some of which will be local to your user, as opposed to global.

Hello,

Today I did several tests on an old "clean" laptop with Windows XP and on the laptop I daily use (Windows 7).

I tried to install SonicStage on the old laptop, which have no internetconnection, the installation was trouble-free.

I reinstalled SonicStage on the same laptop without deleting any file at first, the installation was trouble-free.

I reinstalled SonicStage on the same laptop after I deleted all related files and after deleting all entries in the registry related to Sony or OMGJBOX and OPENMG, the installation was trouble-free.

I reinstalled SonicStage on my laptop I daily use without deleting any file at first, the installation was trouble-free.

So my conclusion is that the package in the download section is perfect.

Also you don't need an internetconnection during installation.

I saw in your logfiles that you tried the installation several times in Windows XP compatibility mode and one time as Windows Vista the OS of your laptop. You tried to install SonicStage via the executable in the map/directory to where the downloadfile is unpacked. Maybe you have checked the compatibility mode in this and perhabs in other executables in that map/directory.

My advice is start all over and download SS43-ULTIMATE.exe from the download section (again) and execute the downloaded file without checking the compatibility mode and without changing the defaults, unpacking and installation of SonicStage and related programs normally take place in one run and results in the question to restart the computer.

If the installation is still not successful then show your logfiles again.

I hope you understand my version of the English language and wish you success.

Jan

Jan:

Very many thanks for the trouble taken to test ss43_ultimate. At least that has confirmed that the problem that I am having lies either with me or the computer(s). As said earlier, am a bit busy in the near future, but will have a go at sorting things out as time permits, however long it may take.

It is very useful to know where the problem lies.

By the way, your interpretation of English is just fine.

Chris

Looking through a recent .MSI log for something else (The SS installer uses MSI), I noticed an interesting entry:

Machine policy value 'DisableUserInstalls' is 0

When I said run as administrator, I literally meant that. Not RunAs administrator for the individual program. I mean probably your user HAS to be an administrator, at least to run the install. It may well be that some overly helpful anti-malware program somehow made sure that you are not an admin. Or you yourself. I have often encountered things that Windows could not do when the user was a normal user without admin privileges, even though it is claimed to work.

On Home Premium this may mean calling yourself a Power User or something like that. I do not have a Home Premium to try.

The problem is that each sub-install has to be marked RunAs Administrator, or run by hand.

I am wondering if you run the setup.exe down inside the unpacked tree (just as I described), using RunAs administrator, whether it suddenly works.

Looking through a recent .MSI log for something else (The SS installer uses MSI), I noticed an interesting entry:

Machine policy value 'DisableUserInstalls' is 0

When I said run as administrator, I literally meant that. Not RunAs administrator for the individual program. I mean probably your user HAS to be an administrator, at least to run the install. It may well be that some overly helpful anti-malware program somehow made sure that you are not an admin. Or you yourself. I have often encountered things that Windows could not do when the user was a normal user without admin privileges, even though it is claimed to work.

On Home Premium this may mean calling yourself a Power User or something like that. I do not have a Home Premium to try.

The problem is that each sub-install has to be marked RunAs Administrator, or run by hand.

I am wondering if you run the setup.exe down inside the unpacked tree (just as I described), using RunAs administrator, whether it suddenly works.

Have just set the setup.exe file in ss/english/ (where the unpacked files reside for the sonicstage installation) to always run as administrator (checked afterwards that this was still the case) and re-run the whole installation. Still the same problem, I'm afraid.

Also, am having trouble working out how to modify the PATH parameter.

Both the TEMP and TMP environment variables are %USERPROFILE%AppDataLocalTemp, which is where the files end up.

No. 2 son works in IT. Am seeing him this weekend, so will pick his brains.

Still no confirmation that your user is running at elevated privilege to start with. Sorry to nag.

You fix PATH and other environment variables in the system properties dialog box. Right click my computer and select properties then the Advanced tab.

I have a suspicion you may be finding another setup.exe somehow. You might want to try renaming all the ones you can find to xetup.exe or setup.exx.

Oh yes, try deleting as much as possible from that temp directory.

Hello Chris,

If you have no success at all, please do the following.

In the map where the downloaded file is unpacked where you see SetupSS.exe there is also a file named SetupSS.ini, edit this file as follows in the SETUP SECTION -SonicStage- you see a line "silent =1" (in the file I have line number 92), change the 1 to 0 (zero), save the file.

Then execute SetupSS.exe and show us the resulting logfile:

C:ChrisAppDataLocalTempSsInstallSonicStage.log

Maybe the silent =0 makes clear what is wrong in your situation.

Jan

Hello Chris,

If you have no success at all, please do the following.

In the map where the downloaded file is unpacked where you see SetupSS.exe there is also a file named SetupSS.ini, edit this file as follows in the SETUP SECTION -SonicStage- you see a line "silent =1" (in the file I have line number 92), change the 1 to 0 (zero), save the file.

Then execute SetupSS.exe and show us the resulting logfile:

C:ChrisAppDataLocalTempSsInstallSonicStage.log

Maybe the silent =0 makes clear what is wrong in your situation.

Jan

Hi Jan,

Have edited the setupss.ini file as you suggested. When I ran setupss.exe, one difference was that there were many more installation windows than before, except for the stage when sonicstage was being installed, which again was over in a second or two. Again. no sign of a sonic stage executable.

Re inquistor's recent suggestions, have emptied the temp folder of everything that did not complain, which left about 6 folders. Tried to become a super-administrator, but could not. Nor can I edit the PATH parameter. Will pursue both these when I have the time.

The two log files are attached.

Many thanks to all for the suggestions.

Chris

install.txt

omginstlog.txt